U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM

11,087 posts, read 10,935,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
The women processing the applications are more interested in the divorced men. Battle tested.
I think more un-interested. Battle tested= broke, ex wife drama, child support payments and living in a dump.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 AM

600 posts, read 874,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why would I be kidding. Denny is right tho, divorce is now so common I guess it is not considered noteworthy anymore. Single is the new divorced.
I thought you were kidding, cause I really doubt that divorced people are worse drivers than singles???

Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 AM

19,786 posts, read 16,432,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
You know how when you fill out certain applications (e.g. car insurance), you have to select your status, and two of them are 'Single' and 'Divorced'.
I always wondered - is 'divorced' considered 'bad'??? Why is it even an option?
I dont think its considered 'bad' because there are many legitimate reasons people do so. But if an app only gives you two options: 'married' or 'single' then what do you do, write a long ol' paragraph on the side as to why youre divorced, separated or not married? I always put 'single' since thats what I am and when there are no other options. Shouldnt be a big deal.

Last edited by wisconsin woman; 03-10-2010 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM

19,786 posts, read 16,432,222 times
By the way, as far as car insurance, they supposedly go by whether youre a smoker or not, and how far you commute to work, and some even do a credit check! Ive talked to many people on that part and credit should have nothing to do with a driving record, Ive read somewhere that its actually been proven that people with a better credit rating have (or should have, I forgot which words the article said) higher rates because they can afford to be 'careless' where someone who has a lower rating will tend to be more careful because they dont have a lot to lose in the first place and want to take care of what little they do have because the interest in having to replace something like a car will be so high. Personally Ive even seen higher-end people in certain parts of cities who drive like maniacs in their expensive suvs and cars, flipping us lower-end people in not-so-expensive cars off because we cant keep up with them. So....Im not sure how being married or single affects driving but supposedly I guess it does for some.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I thought you were kidding, cause I really doubt that divorced people are worse drivers than singles???
LOL.

Are you recently divorced? I wouldnt think it influence your rates.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM

20,885 posts, read 18,452,256 times
Quote:
Like I said, I've read that single people are, on average, worse drivers than married people, but I don't know how formerly-married-but-now-single (i.e., divorced) people are categorized. According to this link:

Three Factors that Can Affect Your Auto Insurance Premium Auto Insurance Guide
The marital status of the driver is yet another important deciding factor for vehicle insurance companies. According to statistics single drivers are more likely to get into an accident as compared to drivers who are married. Newly divorced people are also more likely to be charged a higher premium but other factors like their new residential address will also affect their premium.

Some insurance companies may also cancel insurance for newly divorced people if the policy was a joint account in the name of the husband and wife. If you are married then you can save money on auto insurance by insuring your car and your spouse’s car from the same insurance company. You can also save money on vehicle insurance by insuring your home and all your cars with the same insurance company.

So it's not just about driving ability. Another site I saw mentioned multi-car discounts, which married people typically get because they typically own at least two cars. If you are single or divorced, the insurance company is not going to assume you have multiple cars, so that will affect your initial quote.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,424,820 times
Quote:
You know how when you fill out certain applications (e.g. car insurance), you have to select your status, and two of them are 'Single' and 'Divorced'.
"Single" is supposed to mean "never married. Otherwise the widowed people can also be counted as single.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM

[LEFT]
Quote:
Some insurance companies may also cancel insurance for newly divorced people if the policy was a joint account in the name of the husband and wife.

Wow. I havent heard that before. I didnt have any trouble transfering policies. The ex had to pay the premiums until the divorce was final then I just had my vehicle/house/life ins. changed.
[/LEFT]

Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 PM

740 posts, read 675,680 times
Quote:
Well, if the ex is in front of or behind the car.... I kid, widowed, divorced and single should be one category as in one income, sole support

Old 03-10-2010, 01:15 PM

600 posts, read 874,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Three Factors that Can Affect Your Auto Insurance Premium Auto Insurance Guide[indent]The marital status of the driver is yet another important deciding factor for vehicle insurance companies. According to statistics single drivers are more likely to get into an accident as compared to drivers who are married. Newly divorced people are also more likely to be charged a higher premium
Wow, that's just plain discrimination!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships