Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Some of the guys on this forum and this thread in particular seem to think that the only useful purpose for a woman is either a sexual partner or a potential sexual partner at some future time. Not everything has to do with sex. I became friends with a woman at work over 30 years ago in Seattle. She's probably a half a foot taller than me, she's married with a family, she's black and I'm white but we instantly hit it off mainly because we shared a certain sense of humor. I've moved a number of times since we first met but we're in touch on a regular basis after all these years and she's one of the best friends I've ever had. All I can say is that if you only seek out women because you see them as potential sexual partners you're missing out on having some friends who are just as close as guys you've been friends with for many years.
Acquaintances are fine, friends I keep to one person. I'm not letting anyone else know that much about me at any given time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
One of my best friends is a guy. He did admit in the past, that he liked me and wished there was 'more' between us. BUT (this is so cute ), he said - "I'd rather have you in my life as a friend than not have you at all". Awww
And not a day goes by that he doesn't hope that you "see the light" of how great he is and want to be with him.

http://funandsocial.blogspot.com/200...-not-nice.html
http://funandsocial.blogspot.com/200...ys-part-2.html
http://funandsocial.blogspot.com/200...ys-part-3.html

Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 PM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times
To answer the OP...no. I don't make friends with anyone...male or female. I simply don't trust anyone.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
To answer the OP...no. I don't make friends with anyone...male or female. I simply don't trust anyone.
Pity! But that likely says more about you than it does about the rest of the species.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Pity! But that likely says more about you than it does about the rest of the species.
Of course, I can't be trusted either.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 PM

438 posts, read 1,352,322 times
I am in a man-empowered work environment in a macho society in South America. I have made some wonderful and lasting girl friends that I would not hesitate to put before me as true friends without taking it any further or considering a relationship.

I have a SO here who knows of these friendships that started long before she became a SO. She gets on well with all of them and is happy to have met new friends.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,799 times
My bff from grad school is a guy. He's my alter-ego, my partner in crime. I think there was maybe one point where he may have been interested, but he never crossed the line. He's still one of my bff's today, 20 yrs later. We talk about anything and everything.

I also made good guy friends throughout the yrs, through school and work, and some I am still in contact with. So yeah, it can happen, but you both have to be on the same page (neither one wanting more than just friendship).

Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Some of the guys on this forum and this thread in particular seem to think that the only useful purpose for a woman is either a sexual partner or a potential sexual partner at some future time. Not everything has to do with sex. I became friends with a woman at work over 30 years ago in Seattle. She's probably a half a foot taller than me, she's married with a family, she's black and I'm white but we instantly hit it off mainly because we shared a certain sense of humor. I've moved a number of times since we first met but we're in touch on a regular basis after all these years and she's one of the best friends I've ever had. All I can say is that if you only seek out women because you see them as potential sexual partners you're missing out on having some friends who are just as close as guys you've been friends with for many years.
Again with the sainthood. You probably befriended her BECAUSE she's everything that (according to you) guys would be put off. I have a question for you though regarding this:

Is there something so wrong with white and black people becoming friends or is there another reason you posted that? Perhaps only you perceive that your being a good Samaritan by befriending another race, otherwise I don't know why you'd point that out. I wouldn't consider it significant if I were talking about friends I had made of the opposite gender. The fact that you needed to point it out says so much about how you view other men (not to mention your bloated ego). I bet you consider yourself the most sincere guy in the world. I'd believe it too if it weren't for your constant male bashing. Right now I'd be inclined to think that you just wanna score with la chicas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
This explains a lot.
Hey now, that was uncalled for. I think I represent my age quite well

...ok, maybe not.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I have many female friends who are single. When they get married its not cool to be a 'good male friend'.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I think I represent my age quite well
You're OK! Actually, the few guys your age here are way more normal and mature than many older ones. I think I should really reconsider my stance on age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships