U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:45 PM

8,860 posts, read 10,847,636 times
Leftovers...it's better than being sloppy seconds.

I think singles who have their act together with a solid career, financially secure, well traveled, and educated often get that moreso than someone who hasn't exactly set the world on fire. You're a great catch in every way, so the problem must be something deep beneath the surface or you are considered too picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM
GLS

1,990 posts, read 3,407,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Yep, leftovers are great.
Depends on how old the "leftover" is. The spiciness of my marinara sauce improves overnight, but a 48 year old single man still living with his mom is like a two week old slice of lemon meringue pie with purple fuzz on it.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,350,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Leftovers...it's better than being sloppy seconds.

I think singles who have their act together with a solid career, financially secure, well traveled, and educated often get that moreso than someone who hasn't exactly set the world on fire. You're a great catch in every way, so the problem must be something deep beneath the surface or you are considered too picky.
Interestingly enough, I have no shortage of "retired-with-big bucks" professional types in their late 60s, early 70s contacting me on the dating sites. Maybe I should give the "sugar daddy" bit a go, even though that goes against my sensibilities. At least I could have a helluva good time, LOL.

And I could just hear the all-male chorus -- "See! Women don't want us average nice guys! They are just after money!" That's not even remotely true in my case but what should one do if the "average nice guys" seem to want rudderless floozies?!

The irony is that if I did tie up with some rich guy 25 years older than myself, the other men would probably be trying to woo me then.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:34 PM

27,238 posts, read 26,314,677 times
Yes, but if it doesn't have "science experiment" written all over it, I'll go ahead and eat it. I've sometimes regretted it later, but it didn't keep me from not letting it go to waste.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Interestingly enough, I have no shortage of "retired-with-big bucks" professional types in their late 60s, early 70s contacting me on the dating sites. Maybe I should give the "sugar daddy" bit a go, even though that goes against my sensibilities. At least I could have a helluva good time, LOL.

And I could just hear the all-male chorus -- "See! Women don't want us average nice guys! They are just after money!" That's not even remotely true in my case but what should one do if the "average nice guys" seem to want rudderless floozies?!

The irony is that if I did tie up with some rich guy 25 years older than myself, the other men would probably be trying to woo me then.
Because the nice guys figure..."If you don't NEED us, then why would you WANT us?" You have your life together and are quite content without us, why interfere in your happiness?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 PM

9,703 posts, read 12,018,823 times
A couple things I learned in the school of hard knocks.

1. You are who you think you are, not what other people think you are. If you believe you are a leftover, then that is what you will be. I don't sit around let other people define me cause I didn't get married in my 20's. People try, but I ignore it. You wouldn't believe the nasty things people say to me cause I didn't get married at 25 and I'm not going to repeat any of it here.

2. Don't cast judgment on other people until you have the whole story. No question there are some single people that are single for a very good reason. But there are other people with some rational story of how they got from point A to point B.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:50 PM

There are things hidden from you, but known to other people. Hidden from others but known to you. Known both to you and to other people, and things hidden from you and from other people.

You can come across a certain way, and not even realize it.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,350,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because the nice guys figure..."If you don't NEED us, then why would you WANT us?" You have your life together and are quite content without us, why interfere in your happiness?
But the whole point of GOOD relationships does not come out of neediness -- it's to SHARE your talents, happiness, and life with another person and, in the process, become part of a greater whole.

The reason so many relationships fail is that the balance of power isn't equal -- it's one-sided. And one or both parties eventually get weary of that.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 PM

My talents get expressed in my work.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,431,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Need is not a good foundation for a relationship. I would think a man would be flattered to know a woman wanted him. That way you know for sure it's about your wonderfulness and the pleasure of your company, and not her debt, inability to fix things around the house, or, worst of all, fear of being alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships