U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,362,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My talents get expressed in my work.
No offense but you're either selling yourself short or you haven't developed a wide range of talents. Not everything can be expressed through work -- most people have another dimension to themselves outside of work.

I enjoy writing poetry, cooking, gardening, travel, caring for animals, and interior decorating. This is apart from my work-related talents. Oh, and I have a talent for sensuality -- expressing that at work would get me fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
GLS

1,990 posts, read 3,412,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There are things hidden from you, but known to other people. Hidden from others but known to you. Known both to you and to other people, and things hidden from you and from other people. .
I just KNEW that there were people hiding things from me Now thanks to your post, people know that I knew there were people hiding things that neither one of us knew....that either they or me knew were being hidden from.....you?..Sorry, I just got dizzy and fell down.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 PM

11,233 posts, read 6,087,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
One argument I've heard a lot with respect to dating is the Leftovers Argument. This argument, usually heard after a certain age, says that if someone is still single, it's probably because everyone else passed on them and therefore you should too. IMO, people are too quick to embrace this reasoning. It's like they're in a hurry to eliminate someone and move onto the next person. They're so sure that the pool they're swimming in is full of the rejects that they can't keep an open mind. Throughout this forum, we've seen this argument a lot. One poster complains that all he meets are single mothers. Another repeats the tired "all the good men are married or gay" line. Maybe this attitude explains why the people voicing these complaints are still single. If I meet someone single in my age group (30s), I'm not wondering why other guys rejected her and inferring that something must be wrong with her. For all I know, she's had plenty of guys show interest in her but she rejected them. It reminds me of the stigma that divorce used to have (and in some circles still has). I remember when people looked at a divorced person as a failure. Oh, she must've been a lousy wife and that's why she's divorced. People seem to have come around when it comes to divorce. I wonder how long it'll take for them to do so with other things, like being a single mom or having never been married.
Irony: A single person of a certain age passing judgement on a single person of a certain age because they are still single.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM

7,492 posts, read 8,225,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Irony: A single person of a certain age passing judgement on a single person of a certain age because they are still single.
Yeah, it's kinda like those overweight guys who refuse to date overweight women, but expect women to overlook the fact they're overweight. Hypocrisy at its best.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:55 PM

10,310 posts, read 11,008,768 times
I guess I'm a whackball because I'm 34 and never been married nor do I have the interest to be..(running away screaming and flailing arms in crazy matter)

Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM

9,703 posts, read 12,041,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I guess I'm a whackball because I'm 34 and never been married nor do I have the interest to be..(running away screaming and flailing arms in crazy matter)
Well I know for me that is what sends other people totally over the edge is that I declare that I no longer have any real interest in getting married and if I was too get married, then you'd have to make a really damn good case for it.

They think I'm a nutter for not wanting to get married, but then I listen to all them constantly complain about being married.

Now in my 20's I did want to get married, but I have seen the light.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,387,548 times
himain wrote:
Quote:
So I guess that means my proposal of marriage to you is going to fall flat on it's face. Just joking, I was hoping your date with that last guy was going to work out for you but these days there's a very large percentage of the population who are not married. Most have been married and then have gotten divorced but the never married category seems to be growing and a couple of generations ago that was much more uncommon. I've also never been married but I'm wondering if that tattoo on my forehead that says "Born To Lose" might have turned off potential partners.
I have known several very nice women who were married multiple times but I don't hold it against them. Life is very unpredictable, sometimes people are too picky and never find the relationship they're looking for and it's just as common for many people to become so wrapped up in a new relationship that they might overlook potential faults and problems that they'll have to deal with later. I don't feel like I can judge anyone for their problems with relationships, I'd have too much difficulty trying to explain my own.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:27 PM

5,891 posts, read 4,498,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
One argument I've heard a lot with respect to dating is the Leftovers Argument. This argument, usually heard after a certain age, says that if someone is still single, it's probably because everyone else passed on them and therefore you should too. IMO, people are too quick to embrace this reasoning. It's like they're in a hurry to eliminate someone and move onto the next person. They're so sure that the pool they're swimming in is full of the rejects that they can't keep an open mind. Throughout this forum, we've seen this argument a lot. One poster complains that all he meets are single mothers. Another repeats the tired "all the good men are married or gay" line. Maybe this attitude explains why the people voicing these complaints are still single. If I meet someone single in my age group (30s), I'm not wondering why other guys rejected her and inferring that something must be wrong with her. For all I know, she's had plenty of guys show interest in her but she rejected them. It reminds me of the stigma that divorce used to have (and in some circles still has). I remember when people looked at a divorced person as a failure. Oh, she must've been a lousy wife and that's why she's divorced. People seem to have come around when it comes to divorce. I wonder how long it'll take for them to do so with other things, like being a single mom or having never been married.
The ladies just can't handle the truth and the ruggedness!!LOL........... Oh, the other guy has a sense of fashion and likes to knit quilts!LOL.......... He needs to learn how to detune his testosterone a little!LOL..... Some guys can do both!

Old 03-12-2010, 04:27 PM

10,310 posts, read 11,008,768 times
LOL No the last guy on Match just wanted to impregnate me so that wasn't going to work out..

Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 PM

8,038 posts, read 8,936,201 times
I totally agree with you Denny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I can't tell you how many men I dated after my divorce (late 30s) who said to me, "Oh, you're divorced? That's good. Because if you'd never been married by now, I'd wonder what was wrong with you."

NICE.
I've heard all about how something had to be wrong with me because I was never married. I had a guy I dated tell me the same thing (I wasn't with him that long, I bolted). Mind you, he's been married twice and he thought that gave him all kinds of stability points. He stayed married as long as he did to the first wife because she didn't have enough self respect to leave him (he admitted he was cruel to her and to cheating on her with 9 different women). The next wife was someone he met online and left his first wife for. This woman used her 16 year old daughter's picture (because she looked older) instead of her own, claiming she was younger and about 150 pounds lighter than she actually was. "I was married a total of 20 years." doesn't not automatically spell stability and quality.

I'll admit they weren't totally wrong. I'm a good woman, I know this. But I had horrible judgement when it came to men. So, in that regard, there was something wrong with me, I just don't think that is what these people have in mind when they say these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships