Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:48 PM

90 posts, read 321,559 times

Advertisements

Celebrate because the grief, un-ending strife, and irreconcilable differences could be let go. Mourn b/c this could have happened sooner, and I/we could have gone on and further in our lives. Mourn b/c no child should grow up in two homes - but celebrate b/c a child should grow up in happy, loving homes, and with two homes, they now have the chance of being in the best of two worlds. Mourn because I held out for so much less. Celebrate because I can be happy with so much more. Mourn that I tolerated conflict for so long, and I sacrificed for what became worthless, without compromise from my partner, or acknowledgement of sacrifice. Celebrate with excitement for the little joys in life, and have no discomfort in finding my passions.

I am in a new relationship after being emotionally separated for 3 years, physically separated for 8+ years, and moved out of the same address for 11 months, and my child's co-parent works the relationship with our child as a fulcrum of her unhappiness and disease. My continued contacts with my 3 year old son are interrupted with 7 dropped connections in a 15 minute phone call, a child waking to the phone call or answering the phone notably tired, and a child stating, 'I'm not in the mood to talk with you," (3 year old children don't have the emotional repertoire, intellectual capacity, or the verbal skills to combine these varied experiences to create such a statement).

But when my son and I are together, it's unfettered happiness, discovery of wonder and laughter, and a connection between he and I that could not have been mined without the departure of his mother/my former spouse from the home. It's that kind of mourning and celebrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
By the time the divorce was final I had already mourned the death of my marriage so it was a happy occasion. We didnt have kids so I didnt have that to deal with. Now, I still have a little anger when I think of him, but that too shall pass.
Hope all goes well for you.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Celebrating or Mourning a divorce..
Men celebrate, until its time to pay support/alimony.

Women mourn, until they receive the support/alimony checks.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
I was indifferent. We had been legally separated for a year before our divorce went final, and I had no desire to remain married to her. No bitterness on my end, but no happy-dance either. The divorce papers were just that, papers.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I have thought of having a celebration when it is finalized. Have my friends and family over for a cookout. To celebrate a new chapter in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships