U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:57 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,455,390 times
I was hoping to be off the hook when my kids grew up...I didn't expect to have to play mom to so many adults who need an audience and "strokes" for every little thing they do or think etc...Guess it's my fault...I need to be a bad listener...instead of a good listener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 PM

24,032 posts, read 12,984,638 times
I either completely change the subject in their mid sentence or just walk away.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 PM

31,834 posts, read 17,081,562 times
I can't stand self centered brats....my sister has a rich friend like this....she is like don't worry I will use my credit card.(um dear daddy pays that so its his)

Old 03-14-2010, 07:34 PM

When I was growing up my parents used to tell me when they thought I was being self-centered....I was an only child and my parents wanted to make sure that I developed some social skills...I learned this lesson really well when my parents thru a party for my fifth birthday....I was moody and pouty that day and not a very good playmate to my friends or hostess...Boy...my parents sure read me the riot act and told me that I wouldn't have any friends in life if I kept being so self-centered and selfish and spoiled...."Life doesn't just revolve around you" they said....."even tho today is your birthday."

Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,249,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Omg, I am living that, 24/7 with 3 little kids.....talk about sucking the life blood out of you! Wow. "Mommy, mommy, moooooooomy, ma, ma, mom..." "I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, hey, this isn't what I wanted! Why is his piece bigger? He hit me! Hey, that's MY toy! I HATE you!!!...." Thank God they are so cute....
They say kids look like you so it's harder for you to kill 'em!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:04 PM

5,891 posts, read 4,210,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Me...me...me and only me...Let me tell you about me and what I did and what I want and think and feel...Listen to me...Be my audience...Don't have any wants and needs of your own...Just be here for me....Let me tell you about me exclusively and I will be your best friend...or the love of your life...Don't ask me to take turns or have to listen to you very often....It's sure draining to be around needy and self-centered people...Don't you think?
Maybe I need to be more like this? I am always the giver and doing things for others to the point I forget about me. I am a giver not a taker by nature and it hurts me in the end sometimes.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Maybe I need to be more like this? I am always the giver and doing things for others to the point I forget about me. I am a giver not a taker by nature and it hurts me in the end sometimes.
You're right..Some of us need to be a little more self-centered at times and put up more boundaries...Time to say "no" a little more....

Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM

4,384 posts, read 1,686,287 times
Quote:
Me...me...me and only me...Let me tell you about me and what I did and what I want and think and feel...Listen to me...Be my audience...Don't have any wants and needs of your own...Just be here for me....Let me tell you about me exclusively and I will be your best friend...or the love of your life...Don't ask me to take turns or have to listen to you very often....It's sure draining to be around needy and self-centered people...Don't you think?
Just ignore them and accept them for who they are.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM

5,891 posts, read 4,210,083 times
Quote:
You're right..Some of us need to be a little more self-centered at times and put up more boundaries...Time to say "no" a little more....
I finally had to put the squash on one of my dumba** friends that would borrow expensive tools never intending to return them!!! I would always have to hound him and end up going after them!! Can I borrow XXXX? H*** no!!!LMAO...........

Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM

7,287 posts, read 7,757,689 times
I dated someone like this once. She'd always talk about the stuff that mattered to her. Everything was a crisis. But when it came to my stuff, she had a tendency to downplay it. If that weren't bad enough, she'd spin it around and say "well your problems aren't as big as mine." Needless to say, I grew tired of someone so selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships