Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,135 times

Advertisements

I purchased an airline ticket for a friend to come & see me.
The tone of the back & forth emails as well as the fact that he's in the middle of a divorce set off my intuition red flag that this was an "escape" trip to avoid the reality of the disaster in his life. I also felt he was reading more into the trip...if you catch my drift. It's an old friend I haven't seen in over 20 years. So I got cold feet & told him to skip the trip. I paid for the ticket & he was to reimburse me. The parameters of the unused ticket are this: it's in his name so only he can used it. It's good for a year; ticket dates can be changed with proper payment.

I asked him if he'd at least cover half the ticket & he said no due to me being the one with cold feet & telling him not to come. Moral of this story: let people purchase their own damn tickets & don't fall for sob stories!

Thoughts?
Is it right to ask for $ on the ticket
He still can use it; it's no use to me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM

865 posts, read 2,430,987 times
I think you're going to get stuck with a ticket, sorry. I don't know how you can force him to pay you anything. It's like you got him a gift, and now want him to pay for it, after telling him that he couldn't come. You changed YOUR mind, so why should he have to pay for that?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
I'm sorry he stuck you with the cost, but you probably dodged a bullet with that one.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post

Thoughts?
Is it right to ask for $ on the ticket
He still can use it; it's no use to me at all.
You're kidding, right?

You bought him a ticket so he could see YOU. You have a change of heart and do not wish to see him. You want him to pay for your indecisiveness.

Maybe I'm just not able to relate to people anymore, but I think that is ridiculous.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,322,977 times
If I were in your situation I would let him come on the trip because it would REALLY p*ss me off if he uses the ticket to go on some joy trip with another woman or his current wife. Even if we sat around and looked at each other all day. Even better, you could make him your houseboy for the weekend...cleaning, washing your car, etc. with the hopes of getting some.

I'm afraid you are out your money because you did call it off. But why, just because he may have wanted more? You could have made him sleep at a hotel, in another room, etc. Are you not able to resist him?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
You're kidding, right?

You bought him a ticket so he could see YOU. You have a change of heart and do not wish to see him. You want him to pay for your indecisiveness.

Maybe I'm just not able to relate to people anymore, but I think that is ridiculous.
That's right, I did, he wanted to get the hell out of where he was & escape to palm trees & umbrella drinks...he pushed on this & I fell for it.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
If I were in your situation I would let him come on the trip because it would REALLY p*ss me off if he uses the ticket to go on some joy trip with another woman or his current wife. Even if we sat around and looked at each other all day. Even better, you could make him your houseboy for the weekend...cleaning, washing your car, etc. with the hopes of getting some.

I'm afraid you are out your money because you did call it off. But why, just because he may have wanted more? You could have made him sleep at a hotel, in another room, etc. Are you not able to resist him?
Funny...you just reiterated what he said he'd do for me if he came...
I have an apt. within a house & I do not want him staying with me.

I understand that I'm probably out of the ticket but that's a lot better than getting it on with someone just because they can't get laid up north.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,322,977 times
Quote:

I understand that I'm probably out of the ticket but that's a lot better than getting it on with someone just because they can't get laid up north.
That's understandable. Are you going to cease to be friends with him over this?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,179 times
Quote:

IF he said he'd fly down just to do your household chores, then that's just weird, borderline creepy.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,517 times
Can't you pay to have the name changed on the ticket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships