Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 06:26 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,325,557 times

Advertisements

You are used to guys coming up to you, he is probably used to women coming up to him. At some point, YOU are going to have to make the first move if you want things to progress. You will also have to consider he may be in a relationship with someone and is not interested.

Perhaps you could talk with the guy that works at the gym who is friends with him to kind what's his status.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
If it was only the three of you, you totally blew your chance.

However...

Since it was just the three of you and you asked for specific help in that fashion (nothing unacceptable in gym culture) and all he did was make an under-the-breath comment to the other guy, a comment they weren't willing to share with you, it's a sign you might want to reconsider your interest in the guy.

Joking at someone else's expense is common; joking at someone else's unwitting expense when it comes to weights... that's typically reserved for the gym jerks, not the gym rats and regulars. Rats and regulars know everyone has to start somewhere; the jerks sneer at those who aren't on a par with them physically, forgetting they weren't always specimens themselves.

I've no idea what Sizzle is talking about, all this clear indication that the guy wasn't/isn't interested in you; there's been nothing to indicate that so far since you clearly hadn't been around him or acknowledged him yourself. Up to this point there simply hasn't been any contact; ergo, whence the alleged disinterest? Not everyone talks to everyone else in the gym.

Today, however -- different story. Think and do what you want, but I'd take that stuff as a definite negative indication. I could be wrong, he may open up later as a result of this, but I wouldn't hold my breath were I you.
He said something after I asked the other guy why the gym was so empty tonight, not after I asked the guy if he would put the weights on the machine for me. This guy has put my weights on numerous times before. It's part of my routine. It didn't particularly sound malicious either, but who am I to say since I didn't even make out what he said. Excuses excuses.

I'm just going to do the 3 strike system. When passing or in near proximity, I will make eye contact and smile and continue doing whatever I was doing. I will do this on 3 different occasions and if he acts like an iceberg, then I'm done.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Screw going into recon mode. Load up and go into the ambush with guns blazing.

Seriously, if it turns out he already has a girlfriend, say some cutesy/witty line to save face and be on your merry way. It's really that easy.

In closing...Just do it, and you may end up doing him.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
That's a definite possibility, but (for the sake of making excuses) he really doesn't act like a jerk at all. He's really friendly and responsive to everyone at the gym - guys, old ladies, old men, etc. I have to be honest and admit that when I'm not making an explicit effort to be friendly or when I go into shutdown mode (as I do around him), I come off as the most arrogant b---- you've ever met. It's not that I'm being stuck-up, it's just my face's natural expression, but of course people don't know that. I didn't even realize I looked like this until my friends and family told me. I'm not exactly the easiest stranger with whom to start a conversation. Yes, I am working on this, but like all habits, it's taking some time.

Wow, I think my age is showing. We all knew this was bound to happen sometime. Naturally, it had to happen over a crush.
Wow, this thread is at 35 pages. I guess should have kept reading after page 3, but did you approach the guy?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Hell, if this guy is like a lot of guys, him having a girlfriend is a non-issue and you'd likely never know anyway. Mango, your chances are better than you think, you just scared!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Wow, this thread is at 35 pages. I guess should have kept reading after page 3, but did you approach the guy?
My balls are on vacation in Belize, so no.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Hell, if this guy is like a lot of guys, him having a girlfriend is a non-issue and you'd likely never know anyway. Mango, your chances are better than you think, you just scared!
When I get back to Omaha, I'm enlisting you to be my wingman.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
My balls are on vacation in Belize, so no.
At least they're someplace warm.

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You're kidding, right? LOL

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Alrighty, but I gotta forewarn you, it's bad news bears, buddy. Things tend to get a bit out of hand - I'm guessing you are familiar, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships