Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is one of those threads.

I've been seeing this one particular guy at the gym regularly for the past few months. We've never talked to each other and to be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure if he even knows I exist since he's never blatantly looked at or acknowledged me when I was taking a peek at me. In my defense, my natural face at the gym is part ice queen, part *****. I'm incapable of beaming smiles and jogging simultaneously. It should be said that this guy is h-o-t. I tell myself that when we make eye contact, I will flash a warm smile, but we never do.

On to the point: I'm developing a crush. I've been considering opening the lines of communication between us, but it seems near impossible! He's always so wrapped up in his work out and socializing with the other guys weight lifting. He barely pays any attention to any female so it's fair to say he is not at the gym to pick-up chicks.

I'm the type of girl that goes to the gym to work out and sweat and this the first time someone has caught my eye. It's pretty easy to strike up a conversation in most other environments, but the gym has me hopelessly lost. I'm clueless about flirting at the gym. Is it creepy? From what I gather, most people are at the gym to work out, not get a date.

But wow. . . I haven't had a crush like this in a very long time. I feel like a randy schoolgirl with a really bad case of the giggles and flushed cheeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Walk up to him and ask if he needs someone to spot him.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Yes, this is one of those threads.

I've been seeing this one particular guy at the gym regularly for the past few months. We've never talked to each other and to be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure if he even knows I exist since he's never blatantly looked at or acknowledged me when I was taking a peek at me. In my defense, my natural face at the gym is part ice queen, part *****. I'm incapable of beaming smiles and jogging simultaneously. It should be said that this guy is h-o-t. I tell myself that when we make eye contact, I will flash a warm smile, but we never do.

On to the point: I'm developing a crush. I've been considering opening the lines of communication between us, but it seems near impossible! He's always so wrapped up in his work out and socializing with the other guys weight lifting. He barely pays any attention to any female so it's fair to say he is not at the gym to pick-up chicks.

I'm the type of girl that goes to the gym to work out and sweat and this the first time someone has caught my eye. It's pretty easy to strike up a conversation in most other environments, but the gym has me hopelessly lost. I'm clueless about flirting at the gym. Is it creepy? From what I gather, most people are at the gym to work out, not get a date.

But wow. . . I haven't had a crush like this in a very long time. I feel like a randy schoolgirl with a really bad case of the giggles and flushed cheeks.
Awwwww, your first gym crush! Hehe.

If you feel apprehensive about approaching him just casually smile when he looks at you. You may even wave ever so slightly. The main thing is to keep the b*tch look off of your face.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Walk up to him and ask if he needs someone to spot him.
That would be incredibly obvious since he already has a bunch of gym buddies that he switches out with and etc. On top of that, I don't know the faintest thing about spotting. My one experience with the bench press resulted in me dropping the bar onto my chest.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,128 times
A lot of people don't like getting interrupted during their workouts, so it can be tricky if you spot someone at the gym. Sometimes there isn't a great way to communicate. I would suggest just trying to be more in the area that he is at, and smile at him when you walk by. After you do that several times, you could step it up with "Hi, how's it going?" If he mumbles and grumbles an answer, then he's clearly not interested. If he engages a bit, then you know you can take it up a notch.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Awwwww, your first gym crush! Hehe.

If you feel apprehensive about approaching him just casually smile when he looks at you. You may even wave ever so slightly. The main thing is to keep the b*tch look off of your face.
I made a conscious effort to look pleasant while galavanting on the treadmill today, just in case he looked over. He doesn't look at me though! At least, I've never caught him. He's too busy doing his own thing and chatting with the guys (can't blame him, he definitely didn't get that body by scoping out chicks at the gym).

Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
That would be incredibly obvious since he already has a bunch of gym buddies that he switches out with and etc. On top of that, I don't know the faintest thing about spotting. My one experience with the bench press resulted in me dropping the bar onto my chest.
Maybe ask him to spot you.....

Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
A lot of people don't like getting interrupted during their workouts, so it can be tricky if you spot someone at the gym. Sometimes there isn't a great way to communicate. I would suggest just trying to be more in the area that he is at, and smile at him when you walk by. After you do that several times, you could step it up with "Hi, how's it going?" If he mumbles and grumbles an answer, then he's clearly not interested. If he engages a bit, then you know you can take it up a notch.
Your first point is exactly why I'm confused as to how initiate contact. He's always in the manly section of the weights though a.k.a the hardcore free weights. I made my way to the leg press (the one where you lay on the ground) today while he was on the weight thing next to me, but he's very involved in his strength training. I could have been wearing a Big Bird suit and clucking and I'm not quite sure if he would have looked over.

Sigh. I swear I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer lol.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,128 times
You'll probably just have to walk by him and say "Hi" but keep walking. Do it over and over again until it seems natural. Sooner or later he'll notice - if he's interested. Like I said, the gym can be tough. Most people don't go there for conversations or chit chat. You have an hr. to work out, and ya gotta get it done.

edit: Do you not use free weights? That is the best way to tone, seriously! Now you have even MORE reason to get over to "that side". Check out the exercise section here about free weights vs. machines. Free weights really takes it up a notch. And no, you won't get bulked up. Not unless you are taking steroids.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Maybe ask him to spot you.....
That would be somewhat obvious. . . especially as there are quite a number of guys in the vicinity (and women) and I just so happen to pick him, while wearing an eager smile on my face lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships