Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 PM

103 posts, read 207,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Seriously??? I am not that picky and I would never eat raw fish. No way...never gonna happen. I also won't eat mushrooms. I've recently found a few things I can eat at a Chinese restaurant (I refused to try it for many years because it smelled like dog poop to me). I wouldn't call myself a picky eater and I am willing to try new things.

I have to say I find food snobs more annoying than people who won't try new things.
You're in denial. You are a picky eater.

I imagine that "food snobs" are annoying to you, just as those who don't act act as you do are weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Ha-ha, it's funny how certain topics bring people who never normally write here. They even have monikers related to the topics! It comes to show who actually is more irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post
But for now, I'd say, just based on your inability to eat raw fish, that your palate is unsophisticated.
As far as I'm concerned, you can keep your raw fish to yourself. For centuries and centuries people have been doing just fine without it. I hate even handling raw fish, much less considering putting it in my mouth.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I live with and love a picky eater (the most annoying kind of picky eater, too...one who looks at you like you're nuts if you say he's picky). I am a person with a very varied palate, will try virtually anything that's not insects. My boyfriend thinks he is a varied eater, because he "likes all different kinds of pasta." Among the foods he won't eat...most vegetables with the exception of lettuce, corn, and uncooked carrots, nearly all fruit, most things involving milk, cream, sour cream, yogurt, or mayo (he does love most cheeses, though, oddly...it's more creamy sauces he can't tolerate), potato in any form whatsoever, mushrooms, tomatoes, hot beverages, tapioca pudding, rice pudding (likes rice, though), any type of legume, from black beans to navy beans to garbanzo beans, and anything where food is mixed (this goes for soups, stews, baked dishes like casseroles, etc.). For him, his dislikes are rarely based on actual taste...he acknowledges that they're all sensory issues...mostly disliking texture (that's why it's yes to raw carrots, no to cooked), and disliking the way something looks (grossed out by the mixed up appearance of casseroles, for instance).

We are a good match in most other ways, but the food thing is a bone of contention, for various reasons. One is that I enjoy cooking for others, and I don't really get to enjoy it much with him, because of the limited variety of things he'll eat. So if I do cook for him, it gets very same old, same old pretty quickly for me (not for him, though). I rarely cook the things I really love, because it's just not worth it for just one person to eat. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't something of a disappointment, since I really enjoy cooking and trying new things, and cooking new things for others.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post
You're in denial. You are a picky eater.

I imagine that "food snobs" are annoying to you, just as those who don't act act as you do are weird.
LMAO...you sure do know all about me.

I don't like fish and I don't like eating food that smells like dog poop. Sue me.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, it's funny how certain topics bring people who never normally write here. They even have monikers related to the topics! It comes to show who actually is more irritating.

As far as I'm concerned, you can keep your raw fish to yourself. For centuries and centuries people have been doing just fine without it. I hate even handling raw fish, much less considering putting it in my mouth.
Yes, but those people have unsophisticated palates.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Yes, but those people have unsophisticated palates.
I'm just fine with my peasant palette! The snobs of any kind are more irritating than born-again Christians!

I suppose I managed to "offend" a wide range of people all in one sentence!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm just fine with my peasant palette! The snobs of any kind are more irritating than born-again Christians!

I suppose I managed to "offend" a wide range of people all in one sentence!
Well, you didn't offend me and that's all I really care about.

I am not a foodie and I don't want to be one. I don't WANT food to be an experience. I am trying very hard to view it as fuel only. I am trying to eat healthier and lose weight. It is much easier to do that if I don't have people bugging me to go out to eat all the time!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
I hate picky eaters that make a big deal about being a picky eater. Saying "no, thank you" will suffice. You don't have to go into a long dramatic monologue about the grossness of XYZ. I grew up with a wide palate and am quite the adventurous foodie, but I understand if you're not. I'm not going to ostracize you for your inability to eat anything besides American food and I expect the same courtesy.

To branch off on a tangent, I once knew a girl who had never ate a pear. She looked at me like I had sprouted a purple horn when I pulled out a pear and started eating it. A PEAR!!! Another woman told me that I ate exotic foods. This was after I told her that I had made a salad with an avocado. An avocado!!!!! Some people must be blind at the grocery store! God forbid they find out about all the other stuff I've ate before. My French grandmother makes snails in garlic and butter sauce routinely. I'd love to see the faces on some of the people I know if I whipped those babies out in front of them.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 PM

15 posts, read 35,054 times
holy cow never in a million years would I have ever guessed my simple thread would have started this... and to add some more insight into my eating adventures I have eaten every form of meat in north america that is legal yes even shot and attempted to cook and eat a buzzard one time out of curiosity (huge mistake) about the only thing I have yet to stomach,I have travelled to 13 different countries thanks to my military career and always made a point to buy and eat something that I had no idea what was in it usually off some street vendor,yes I live in new orleans and yes seafood and food is about 80% of our culture here,I myself am picky I do not care for olives that much there I said it... doesn't mean I won't try a new dish with them in it just means i don't go out of my way to eat the things,and if my GF ordered a pizza with olives guess what they are probably getting eaten as far as someone said fried grasshoppers,they are crunchy chocolate covered ants,tastes just like choclate,I have even eaten a live octopus in japan,yes that one was weird,have even eaten a madagascar hissing cockroach on a dare,my stomach churns thinking about that experience but it's not like I'm asking her to eat pickled pig anus just maybe try something before automatically rejecting it and thank everyone for all of your insightful posts it has me even more confused lol

Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc4295 View Post
hey guys me again I've finally found someone I care about but I'm having a little trouble coping with her eating habits mainly she's extremely picky about what will eat and this bothers me a lot as I am really into food,not a fat slob into grubbing on McDonalds 24/7 but I mean true culinary differences,small example,suggested sushi "ewww gross I'm not eating raw fish" I then explained that only Sushimi is raw fish and there are dozens of other alternatives of "sushi" her response "yeah I'm not eating that" I'm from Louisiana I have gone to culinary school and I love everything and am willing to try things at least once her on the other hand is pretty typical of diet meat and potatoes and shrimp, crawfish. corn but only on the cob not out of a can or cream style only Italian food with red gravy won't even try Alfredo or Parmesan and I'm at a loss I really care for her but every time we go on a date to eat somewhere we end up at god damn chili's or Applebee's, am I making too big of an issue here?
I'm with you but my experience is that its usually the men who are the meat and potato types. An unwillingness to experiment and try new things is a recipe for an unsuccessful relationship. However, you will probably find it easier to find a women who wants to try better cuisine since most of the bland stuff is unhealthy and fattening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships