Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM

865 posts, read 2,428,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Sorry, but I don't get what you mean? I don't even get the connection between food and boredom but I'll leave it at that. I am also a picky eater (the absolutely-no-sushi, no this, no that type) but my BF isn't starving. Sometimes we eat what we both want to eat, and sometimes each one of us prepares what each one of us want to eat but still sit together, eat, and enjoy nice conversation. See it's really not just about the food we eat, but also the moment we get to share together. It's all about compromising.
You need to read my earliest post and see why living with a picky eater can become problematic later on. I'm not going to repeat it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,357,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Sorry, but I don't get what you mean? I don't even get the connection between food and boredom but I'll leave it at that. I am also a picky eater (the absolutely-no-sushi, no this, no that type) but my BF isn't starving. Sometimes we eat what we both want to eat, and sometimes each one of us prepares what each one of us want to eat but still sit together, eat, and enjoy nice conversation. See it's really not just about the food we eat, but also the moment we get to share together. It's all about compromising.
Well, everyone has a different view on this matter. My point of view is that food indeed can be very boring and I couldn't live with a picky eater who only wants to eat certain types of food and not try anything new, exciting, exotic you name it. Therefore food and boredom are interconnected, at least for me. Besides, you didn't mention whether or not your boyfriend is a foodie, if he doesn't care much about food either, than it's no big deal for you 2.
I guess what it comes down to is how important food is for you. For me, it is right up there with sex. I really cannot live without eating all kinds of interesting and delicious food.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:16 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,542,738 times
Seems to me that OP is dissapointed because he was hoping to use his amazing culinary skills to impress the girl. Well, don't throw in the towel yet as there are other skills you could try..

Old 03-16-2010, 12:20 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,675,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I still would have gone to an American restaurant, she probably would have been able to find something on that menu.
She said she wouldn't eat at an American restaurant.

Quote:
There are a LOT of people who are not picky eaters who don't like Chinese food and yes, part of it is the idea that they eat cats and dogs.
I'm sorry, but I think that's just pure xenophobia. I've never been to a single Chinese restaurant in the US that serves cat or dog meat. French people eat rabbit; is that any reason to think that a veal chop a French restaurant is really a rodent? In some South American traditions, people eat guinea pig; is that enough of a reason to think that a roast chicken at a Peruvian barbecue is actually a rat somehow made to look like poultry? Virtually every European cuisine utilizes organ meats -- does that mean that a British steak pie is a no-no because some Englishman, somewhere may be eating kidneys? The idea that, because some Chinese culinary traditions might at some point have utilized cat or dog meat, then Chinese chefs MUST slip that stuff into their cooking here in the United States -- that they pass cat and dog meat for chicken and pork -- stems from the perception of the Chinese as weird, untrustworthy, dishonest, inhumane, cheap and just downright filthy. And this attitude is quite consistent with picky eating. After all, someone who is that uncompromising about food is bound to have very rigid preconceived notions about people as well; and just as unlikely to change them.

Quote:
Again, she was being a spoiled brat but you all could have compromised.
She could have compromised -- after all, of the six of us, five didn't think Chinese food was exotic.

Quote:
I give her credit for staying, I would have left.
Apparently, the only reason she stayed was to ruin it for all of us. It would have been better if she left.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I guess what it comes down to is how important food is for you. For me, it is right up there with sex. I really cannot live without eating all kinds of interesting and delicious food.
This, actually, has some objective basis in fact. Fixation on one's intolerance of food is, at bottom, a sensory issue. And that can manifest itself in many non-food-related activities where the sensory function of the organism is heavily involved. Including sex, obviously.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,092,051 times
Talk about someone not reading? Here we go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Obviously you didn't read Redisca's post. They DID offer to go to a variety of different restaurants, including American. She ONLY wanted Subway or Taco Bell. So the group then decided to eat where they had originally wanted, since none of them wanted to eat a chain fast food joint.

They did not need to go eat at the chain fast food joint. AND I said I was glad they didn't go to Subway or Taco Bell. Yes she rejected the American restaurant but she rejected the Chinese food as well. The American restaurant would have been the best compromise, not Chinese.

I am glad that they didn't cave for her. Honestly, where does ONE person make such demands to expect a group of 5 to cater to her? And btw, Chinese food is NOT exotic. Not here in the US, and certaintly not to people that live in NYC. They do NOT eat dogs and cats. If you want exotic Asian food, you can go to the Orient. In the States, everything has been changed to suit the American palate. (And yes, I realize that if you are Asian, and you live in an Asian community, you can find your exotic dishes, just like any ethnic group does in the US, esp. if you live in NYC. But I'm talking about the avg. joe who goes to a Chinese restaurant here.)

By this statement you are telling me that you are only familiar with the Americanized version of Chinese food and not actual Chinese food. And there are AUTHENTIC Chinese food restaurants here in the US. And in CHINA they DO eat cats and dogs. They don't here in the US but a lot of people won't take the chance.

I think the most "exotic" food I've eaten in the US is Ethiopian food, but depending on where you live, that can be plentiful too (which makes it not exotic anymore). Still, it's not like we're going into a tropical rainforest and eating grubs. Now THAT'S exotic, and I can understand if you take a pass on that.
I believe I also said she was being a spoiled brat, I just think they made the situation worse than it needed to be and they chose the thing she would like least to punish her for being uncompromising.

And again, I give her mad props for staying because I would have left.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
By this statement you are telling me that you are only familiar with the Americanized version of Chinese food and not actual Chinese food. And there are AUTHENTIC Chinese food restaurants here in the US. And in CHINA they DO eat cats and dogs. They don't here in the US but a lot of people won't take the chance.
I've been to authentic Chinese restaurants that serve organ meats and hot pots with intestines and barley. None of them serve cats and dogs, though -- and I've never had any reason to believe that the chef is lying to me about what's on my plate. You know, even though he's Chinese. [/end sarcasm] Moreover, none of this explains why you believe people are justified in considering all Chinese food forbiddingly exotic, even if it's "Americanized" and/or made of innocuous, common-place ingredients.

Quote:
I just think they made the situation worse than it needed to be and they chose the thing she would like least to punish her for being uncompromising.
How do you know she liked it least?

Quote:
And again, I give her mad props for staying because I would have left.
Again, you, like her, are presuming that it's all about her.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM

4,482 posts, read 5,319,656 times
Quote:
I still would have gone to an American restaurant, she probably would have been able to find something on that menu. There are a LOT of people who are not picky eaters who don't like Chinese food and yes, part of it is the idea that they eat cats and dogs. You may not see Chinese food as exotic, but I do (yes I eat Chinese food) and so do a lot of people. Again, she was being a spoiled brat but you all could have compromised. I give her credit for staying, I would have left.
"part of the idea is that they eat cats and dogs"

Surely you are aware that in the United States, the consumption of canine and feline flesh is illegal, and surely you are aware that the finer Chinese restaurants in New York and San Francisco use expensive ingredients, attract wealthy clients, and offer incredible flavors and tastes?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Surely you are aware that in the United States, the consumption of canine and feline flesh is illegal, and surely you are aware that the finer Chinese restaurants in New York and San Francisco use expensive ingredients, attract wealthy clients, and offer incredible flavors and tastes?
That.

This is what I meant when I talked about xenophobia -- the belief that all Chinese food is suspect, even at fine restaurants, even utilizing expensive ingredients, even if legally barred from using cats or dogs, because Chinese people are supposedly "weird".

Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM

4,482 posts, read 5,319,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
She said she wouldn't eat at an American restaurant.
More ignorant and pathetic than I thought.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I think that's just pure xenophobia. I've never been to a single Chinese restaurant in the US that serves cat or dog meat. French people eat rabbit; is that any reason to think that a veal chop a French restaurant is really a rodent? In some South American traditions, people eat guinea pig; is that enough of a reason to think that a roast chicken at a Peruvian barbecue is actually a rat somehow made to look like poultry? Virtually every European cuisine utilizes organ meats -- does that mean that a British steak pie is a no-no because some Englishman, somewhere may be eating kidneys? The idea that, because some Chinese culinary traditions might at some point have utilized cat or dog meat, then Chinese chefs MUST slip that stuff into their cooking here in the United States -- that they pass cat and dog meat for chicken and pork -- stems from the perception of the Chinese as weird, untrustworthy, dishonest, inhumane, cheap and just downright filthy. And this attitude is quite consistent with picky eating. After all, someone who is that uncompromising about food is bound to have very rigid preconceived notions about people as well; and just as unlikely to change them.
Indeed. I for one love rabbit, am dying to try cui (guinea pig), enjoy organ meats once in a while (or do people think chitlins are actually a cut of meat not unlike sirloin?), and happen to be a huge fan of boudin noir. I love my black pudding and think it tastes wonderful, especially if served as a sausage link and hot off the grill. I greatly enjoy the flavor of cooked pig blood (sorry Redisca, assuming you're a Russian Jewess, I am aware Kosher dietary laws forbid the consumption of pork and pork products).

Quote:
She could have compromised -- after all, of the six of us, five didn't think Chinese food was exotic.
Correct. She acted like a spoiled child.

Quote:
Apparently, the only reason she stayed was to ruin it for all of us. It would have been better if she left.
She should've left indeed - her conduct shows she is yet to learn that even without words, one speaks volumes through one's body language, and hers screamed "I hate this and I hate you all for making me go through this."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships