Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times

Advertisements

First.

I am a unabashed supporter of gay and lesbian rights, including the right to marry. I have always had gay and lesbian friends, and I am the proud uncle of a lesbian couple, but I've never had the nerve to ask one simple brickheaded question.

If gay and lesbians are attracted to the same sex, then why do many gay and lesbian couples adopt the opposite appearance of the sex they are attracted to?

This struck me as I looked over the great photos prom pictures of lesbian high school couples. So, I would be grateful for an answer because its killing me.

Autostraddle — Hey Lesbians, Did You Take a Girl to the Dance/Prom? We Want Your Photos! (Now, WITH GALLERY!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:15 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,939 times
Ahhh, that is a classic question, one I still pnder to this day... I suppose you'd have to be gay to understand.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:19 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I'm not gay, but a (gay) friend of mine and I were talking about this the other day. His theory is that back in the day, when it wasn't so socially acceptable to be outwardly gay, that women being butch or men being effeminate in dress and mannerisms was a visual marker; a way for gays and lesbians to show who they were to each other and to straight society.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
I imagine it's just what they are more comfortable with. I'm only guessing here - but I think a woman who adopts a masculine appearance doesn't really feel like she's a man, just that's she not prissy and girly.

I don't know if that's what you're asking, but that's what I'm understanding from your inquery.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
First.

I am a unabashed supporter of gay and lesbian rights, including the right to marry. I have always had gay and lesbian friends, and I am the proud uncle of a lesbian couple, but I've never had the nerve to ask one simple brickheaded question.

If gay and lesbians are attracted to the same sex, then why do many gay and lesbian couples adopt the opposite appearance of the sex they are attracted to?

This struck me as I looked over the great photos prom pictures of lesbian high school couples. So, I would be grateful for an answer because its killing me.

Autostraddle — Hey Lesbians, Did You Take a Girl to the Dance/Prom? We Want Your Photos! (Now, WITH GALLERY!)
I don't know, but you might consider this: rephrase your question so that everything is opposite and see if it makes sense.

If [straight people] are attracted to the [opposite] sex, then why do many [straight people] adopt the [same] appearance of the sex they are attracted to?

My guess is that:
1. We're attracted to other people, not ourselves, so
2. How we express ourselves is different from what we seek in others.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
why do many gay and lesbian couples adopt the opposite appearance of the sex they are attracted to?
What do you mean by appearance, anyways? Long hair for women, dresses, and high heels?

Is there a prescribed appearance for each sex?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Why is it your business? Not every straight woman is an effeminate little flower.

How can you support gays with that attitude?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
The OP has no clue as to how rude his comment is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
What do you mean by appearance, anyways? Long hair for women, dresses, and high heels?

Is there a prescribed appearance for each sex?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:37 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why is it your business? Not every straight woman is an effeminate little flower.

I thought he asked a good question, a question many straight people ask themselves daily.

I think you're being a bit sensitive...

Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

There's no need to be defensive. The original poster is asking a question because he's curious not because he's homophobic. I think he realizes that not ALL same-sex couples have the butch/femme dynamic but wants to know why so many do. To me, that's a perfectly valid question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships