Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
It's just part of who they are, not all of who they are.
This is true. However, I think we tend to define a person by how little or how much bad there is. There is good and bad in most people.

If a person is usually good, honorable, honest, etc. and moody from time to time, no biggie. If they are more ugly than they are good, how would you describe them? If they alternate from being nice half the time to being mean and nasty the other half, how would you describe them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:57 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
It isn't always an issue of how much is good, how much is bad. Suppose you married a guy who was kind, reliable, a good father, etc. And then one day, he decides to cheat on you. Which is the real person? The one who helped you through your cancer treatment and read bedtime stories to your kids? Or the guy who decided to throw away his marriage to you so he could have a fling with some girl he met in a bar?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
No. I judge people based on their holistic interactions. If the majority of my interactions with the person are negative ie: arguing, silent treatment, rude jokes aimed at my expense, etc. then that represents them as a person.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It isn't always an issue of how much is good, how much is bad. Suppose you married a guy who was kind, reliable, a good father, etc. And then one day, he decides to cheat on you. Which is the real person? The one who helped you through your cancer treatment and read bedtime stories to your kids? Or the guy who decided to throw away his marriage to you so he could have a fling with some girl he met in a bar?
I think you and I will differ on the topic of cheating. But in the scenario you are describing, I'd agree with you. It goes back to how a person handles adversity being what truly defines them, at least in my book. The degree of "bad" also plays a role, not just how often.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:43 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
This is true. However, I think we tend to define a person by how little or how much bad there is. There is good and bad in most people.

If a person is usually good, honorable, honest, etc. and moody from time to time, no biggie. If they are more ugly than they are good, how would you describe them? If they alternate from being nice half the time to being mean and nasty the other half, how would you describe them?
That's a good point.
I should say that while it is part of who a person is, much of it depends on how large that part is.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
No.

The worst and the best are both extremes. I think the reality is in the middle.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:09 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,831 times
I'd say who you really are is your average on the scale between your best and your worst...I mean for example I met this girls a week ago who I think is just terrific and cute etc, ofc I'm counting on that she'll have her worse sides just like I have mine... will it bother me if she has some minor worse stuff like say... burping when she's drunk? being very emotional while on her period? no probably not, however if she would for example be a total psycho after a little bit of drinking, smash car windows and make out with any guy in her path, then yes it would bother me alot...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to weigh in the ammount and severity of the bad side to the total picture...

Old 03-18-2010, 03:17 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The thread about how dating is like job hunting got me to thinking about how people are on their best behavior when you first start dating. They emphasize their good qualities and try to hide their bad ones. Sooner or later, those bad qualities come out and you see a side of the person you didn't know was there. During stressful times is one example of when you might see these qualities. I've always thought that if you truly loved someone, you'd accept them even when they're at their worst. For example, you might have a partner who gets really grouchy when they tired or sick. But there are extreme cases as well. A person might turn to drinking and become abusive. Obviously, you wouldn't just tolerate that kind of behavior. My question is do you think a person at their worst is who they really are?
People usually put their best foot forward in the beginning of a relationship. You can only put on a mask so long. Eventually the good, bad and the ugly comes out. You just have to decide if you like the whole package after seeing it? A recent explosion of a relationship involving me brought out a side of me that I don't like. Make no mistake that it is still there. Would a guy with the name Rugged be a candy a**? H*** no!!!LOL.......... Don't tread on me!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 PM

454 posts, read 688,681 times
It also depend...is there someone who is 'instigating' that bad behavior?

For example, men say I surprise them when I put them in their places. Why? Because usually Im this nice, caring person who seems to never have an argument when on dates with men.

However, if they take it as me being a doormat, all hell breaks loose. Im sweet on the outside, but if someone decides to act stupid e.g. play text tennis, make plans and then cancel, use me for ****, and basically treat me complacent...then I turn into straight up ghetto chick in no time flat! There have been times I've said things as nicely as possible (while annoyed) and they see it as me having an attitude? No...Im just letting you know you're not going to walk all over me, that Im going to put my foot down when I sense you are taking advantage of me or taking me for granted. Thats not a personality trait, thats an affirmative, assertive action. If they cant deal with me asserting myself, they can take my left foot...

And then they wonder, where did that come from? It came from YOU fool! Don't stir ****, there wont be ****...simple as that.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
It also depend...is there someone who is 'instigating' that bad behavior?

For example, men say I surprise them when I put them in their places. Why? Because usually Im this nice, caring person who seems to never have an argument when on dates with men.

However, if they take it as me being a doormat, all hell breaks loose. Im sweet on the outside, but if someone decides to act stupid e.g. play text tennis, make plans and then cancel, use me for ****, and basically treat me complacent...then I turn into straight up ghetto chick in no time flat !

And then they wonder, where did that come from? It came from YOU fool! Don't stir ****, there wont be ****...simple as that.
Well, it's how quick and over what someone just SNAPS! that can send a person packing with the heebeejeebees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships