Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:36 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Has anyone besides me noticed the following irony?

Mens Magazines: (Playboy, Maxim etc.) = Curvy Women
Womens Magazines: (Vanity Fair, Elle etc.) = thin\slender models

An interesting lesson in perspective.
Models in women's magazines are photographed to sell the clothing. Those women are larger versions of the clothing hangers in a retail store.

Models in men's magazines are photographed to be sexually arousing to men.

Apples & oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
First photo, she has no curves.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
First photo, she has no curves.
Well...here's a different photo of the same person in a different pose.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:53 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Well...here's a different photo of the same person in a different pose.

meh the wet and tanned look doesn't do anything for me either besides

Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Has anyone besides me noticed the following irony?

Mens Magazines: (Playboy, Maxim etc.) = Curvy Women
Womens Magazines: (Vanity Fair, Elle etc.) = thin\slender models

An interesting lesson in perspective.
Elle's clothes hangers look like they were just released from Auschwitz! Totally disgusting! The only reason I know is I made the mistake to get it for 5 bucks because I'm subscribed to Elle Decor.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
meh the wet and tanned look doesn't do anything for me either besides
Yeah, you're right.... what guy would get turned on by that photo?

Sorry, but I think she looks HOT in that photo posted by sophialee. It's really amazing how different a woman can look just by the way she's posed/photographed.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 AM

78,407 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Models in women's magazines are photographed to sell the clothing. Those women are larger versions of the clothing hangers in a retail store.

Models in men's magazines are photographed to be sexually arousing to men.

Apples & oranges.
Really? You missed the point.

Men are paying money for magazines that shows healthy curvy women as a symbol of desire.

Women are paying money to support magazines that show and promote exceedingly thin women. (The fashion modeling industry is notoriously laden with eating disorders)

So, who is voting with their wallet so to speak on the types of body images shown in the media? Even worse is that young women are reading the WOMENS magazines and seeing those as beauty ideals.

The true irony is that some women turn around and blame men for "wanting skinny women" and promoting "unhealthy body types as a beauty ideal".

P.S. My gf is wicked curvy and pretty much all my friends like meatier gals too.
"Meat is for the man, bone is for the dog..." - Cheech & Chong

Old 03-19-2010, 09:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I'm not thinner than her, I probably almost AS thin as her tho. I'm almost 5'11 and weigh about 130 pounds (132 actually. I just weighed myself)....and I've been skinnier than that.

And Giselle doesn't look like she's starving to me, I see no rib bones sticking out or anything.
I think a lot of it depends on your natural body type, too.

I'm just a tad under 6'1 and when I was 155 lbs I had ribs poking out, concave stomach, crazy collarbones etc etc. I looked like I was sick.

I look healthy (between Giselle and Beyonce) at around 175, which is considered HUUUUGE by most men's standards of weight.

Giselle looks good with her lower body weight because she's pretty fine boned. Beyonce on the other hand, isn't. She just looks naturally bigger boned/larger, which is fine! She pulls it off VERY well I think you just have to match your own body type and find a healthy weight that corresponds.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
So, who is voting with their wallet so to speak on the types of body images shown in the media? Even worse is that young women are reading the WOMENS magazines and seeing those as beauty ideals.

The true irony is that some women turn around and blame men for "wanting skinny women" and promoting "unhealthy body types as a beauty ideal".
Exactly! It's not men who promote this BS! At least not straight men!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I'll take the 'stick' and I live in Houston. In 15 years the stick is still likely to hold her form more than the "curvy" gal. Seen that disaster too many times. Guys thats why you shouldn't marry until your 30, the picture tends to change a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships