Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
If we're strictly talking about non-relationship, "baby, honey, darlin'" it's unprofessional and should never be used unless it's a older person (grandparent age) or you are addressing a child (under 10).
If your grandmother told the truth she did it cause she couldn't remember all the grandkids names. She used the generic terms like that so she didn't call one kid another kids name.

After the age of 70 it's OK to call any relative those names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 12:15 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,583,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
If we're strictly talking about non-relationship, "baby, honey, darlin'" it's unprofessional and shoud never be used unless it's a older person (grandparent age) or you are addressing a child (under 10).
Just what I was thinking. It's cool to be of an age where you can call the kids "honey" or "sweetie" and not automatically be seen as a perv.

On the other hand, it seems that whenever I use the term "Ma'am", women throw a fit.

"DON'T CALL ME MA'AM - I'M NOT THAT OLD!!!"

Sheesh...just trying to be polite...

...but "M'Lady" seems to ring some bells.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:19 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,958,128 times
When I hear those terms from anyone it cools me pretty quickly. I had a supervisor at work who called me "baby girl" and it irked me to no end.

An SO is fine, but my pet name better be original - no baby, honey, sugar.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
OK, Crappy Bugger!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:26 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,958,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
OK, Crappy Bugger!
Now that's love. lol

Old 03-20-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Now that's love. lol
Yep, some of the pet names people come up with for each other...

Old 03-20-2010, 01:10 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,308,771 times
Quote:
When I hear those terms from anyone it cools me pretty quickly. I had a supervisor at work who called me "baby girl" and it irked me to no end.

Ugh...that would irk me also. I hate "boo" too! No one calls me that but I hate to hear it along with other various pet names people call each other.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:22 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,585,726 times
I've noticed since I moved to the South that it's very common for waitresses in particular to come up to you and say something like "What can I get for you darlin'". I don't see anything wrong with it at all, they're just being friendly. When I was working one of my good friends who was a woman started calling me "Boyfriend Bob" and pretty soon everybody in the office was calling me that. I also didn't mind that at all. I do agree it would be different if some strange guy came up to a woman and used some term like baby and I can understand how a woman might be put off by it because it tends to sound like part of a bar room pickup line. I guess it just depends on the circumstances.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,519,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
When men are addressed by women with these terms, it's folksy and endearing.

When women are addressed by men with these terms, it's patronizing and condescending.

Why is that?
Not always the case; it depends on the setting & culture in which you live. Where I live these terms are interchangeable in a casual setting, however in a professional setting this terminology may be misconstrued as harassment or slander.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,296,540 times
I don't like them said to me unless it's by my husband. I think it seems like thiey're treating me like a child. I think it's the same way when a woman says it to a man (who she's not in a relationship with) it just sounds like you're reffering to them as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships