Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 08:48 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,143,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
I'm sorry...isn't this a conversational type of thread? Did you want no responses to your post, or only responses that agreed with your point of view?
This is MY thread, my rules

I appreciate your point of view, I'm intrigued by it, as I don't think a woman should pay for all or a single full check. But I was curious to how others handle the situation, meaning how many times do I insist to not let her pay for any of the meal to make sure I'm being courteous, respectul, and non-cheap before I give in to her insisting to split the check so I don't break my own bank.

I've had a lot of advice from people saying women have the right to take it slow, and go out with a guy just to get out of the house, and to just see what happens. If it's my "responsibility" to pay for the meals so be it, but 7 times out of 10 I'd say I don't get the respect shown back when they decide to end our dating. Meaning: 1. They didn't have the courtesy to even tell me on the phone or to my face, they will just ignore you and never call back, and 2. They probably knew at one point that I had no shot of being their boyfriend in the future and let me take them out and pay for their meal anyway.

For the record: I've only taken out 2 women to dinner in the last year, so those concerned with me over-spending on too many women early on, don't worry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 PM

20,560 posts, read 19,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
If the guy doesn't want to pay for dinner, perhaps he should only have invited the gal out for coffee?

If he's inviting for dinner, he's gonna pick up the tab. It would be expected by me. Anything less and I go home in a taxi...alone...with no chance of a repeat date. Period.
Hi sparksharp,

And if you liked the guy, you would meet him for coffee; hence, the dinner date is a stupid move on the man's part for several reasons.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,824,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
Disagree all you want, but I expect to be addressed in a more mature manner without the name calling, but I guess that's too much to ask for. No worries.
Oh for God's sake...what a baby! Grow a thicker skin son!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,110,362 times
Quote:
I am not cheap. And I love how you come to conclusion without even knowing me.

In Britain most women I know don't care about this stuff. We evidently have different etiquettes here. Its an American thing I guess to constantly be concerned about the man paying and all that. I mean, we don't even go on official dates here like you guys do. We just call each other and ask if we wanna hang out for a drink. But hey, if it isnt the American way then it's wrong.
Hey hey hey with the American thing. I don't recall going on these kinds of dates in my 20s. It was just getting together, going for a drink or to the beach, etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,185,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I guess my question was overlooked, so I will ask it again. If men are expected to always do the asking and paying to show their respect for you, how do you show your respect for them? I'm genuinely curious.
I would like to know as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Hey hey hey with the American thing. I don't recall going on these kinds of dates in my 20s. It was just getting together, going for a drink or to the beach, etc.
I know. I'm just being a pain in the backside with the nationality thing. It's Saturday night and I'm on the ale.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:53 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,143,778 times
Quote:
I would like to know as well.
Spark and NYchi have no answer for you, because based on their responses I'd guess they wouldn't know the first thing about how to show a man respect...I doubt they have any for them.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:55 PM

548 posts, read 1,248,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Spark and NYchi have no answer for you, because based on their responses I'd guess they wouldn't know the first thing about how to show a man respect...I doubt they have any for them.
I'm a traditional woman who is submissive to an extent and don't mind cooking, cleaning etc...

Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm a traditional woman who is submissive to an extent and don't mind cooking, cleaning etc...
This is something you do when you date?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,110,362 times
Quote:
I know. I'm just being a pain in the backside with the nationality thing. It's Saturday night and I'm on the ale.
Ahh, maybe I'll join you and have a glass of my polka dot reisling.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM

548 posts, read 1,248,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This is something you do when you date?
When I am in a relationship. Give me a break people, yeah this is 2010, but gender roles do still exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships