Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm a traditional woman who is submissive to an extent and don't mind cooking, cleaning etc...
That gave me a chuckle. Hey, if you're into the submissive thing and your guy is into the traditional role thing, have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
I am not cheap. And I love how you come to conclusion without even knowing me.

In Britain most women I know don't care about this stuff. We evidently have different etiquettes here. Its an American thing I guess to constantly be concerned about the man paying and all that. I mean, we don't even go on official dates here like you guys do. We just call each other and ask if we wanna hang out for a drink. But hey, if it isnt the American way then it's wrong.
My first girlfriend was from Europe, came to America at a young age, and she was very cool with the dinners and movies. Our first date was Dutch, and mostly after that, whoever did the asking mostly was the one who paid. But what I liked most was, we chose places where we actually liked the food, not the most expensive places around. She mostly paid for me eating cheap Mexican food!!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Now I'm curious about the places people are going on their dates to eat. Where are you going?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
A relationship in which only the woman asks the guy out for a month is quite strange...

Dorrans, that's not the first time you've been very vocal on the subject. You just ARE cheap. If it works for you, more power to you. It doesn't work for most.
I totally agree! It would be very odd indeed!

Quote:
Like it or not, some people are more traditional when it comes to this situation. Most men will insist on paying.
And God bless 'em for it too! I would think that if a man had any self respect, he would be picking up the tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I guess my question was overlooked, so I will ask it again. If men are expected to always do the asking and paying to show their respect for you, how do you show your respect for them? I'm genuinely curious.
By allowing them to experience the pleasure of my company! That's it...that's all that is required by me as a women. I have a good time, the guy has a good time and the date is a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
This is MY thread, my rules

I appreciate your point of view, I'm intrigued by it, as I don't think a woman should pay for all or a single full check. But I was curious to how others handle the situation, meaning how many times do I insist to not let her pay for any of the meal to make sure I'm being courteous, respectul, and non-cheap before I give in to her insisting to split the check so I don't break my own bank.

I've had a lot of advice from people saying women have the right to take it slow, and go out with a guy just to get out of the house, and to just see what happens. If it's my "responsibility" to pay for the meals so be it, but 7 times out of 10 I'd say I don't get the respect shown back when they decide to end our dating. Meaning: 1. They didn't have the courtesy to even tell me on the phone or to my face, they will just ignore you and never call back, and 2. They probably knew at one point that I had no shot of being their boyfriend in the future and let me take them out and pay for their meal anyway.

For the record: I've only taken out 2 women to dinner in the last year, so those concerned with me over-spending on too many women early on, don't worry
Then she was a tosser and you didn't recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi sparksharp,

And if you liked the guy, you would meet him for coffee; hence, the dinner date is a stupid move on the man's part for several reasons.
I agree! Dinner is too much of a time committment on a first date. Coffee is better...15 minutes and you can be out of there if need be. On the other hand it allows for lingering if all is going well. But the guy still picks up the check! lolololololol!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
When I am in a relationship. Give me a break people, yeah this is 2010, but gender roles do still exist.
In other words, the man must respect you right off the bat, by wining and dining you. If he is worthy of your respect, you will enter into a relationship with him and cook and clean for him. Do I have that right?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Its an American thing I guess to constantly be concerned about the man paying and all that.
I'm originally from Europe, dear.

Quote:
We just call each other and ask if we wanna hang out for a drink. But hey, if it isnt the American way then it's wrong.
That's right. And how come she's the only one initiating things?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:08 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,191,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm originally from Europe, dear.

That's right. And how come she's the only one initiating things?
She initiated the first few weeks cos she was much more into me than I was to her. I liked her, but not like that. I decided to give it a go and I ended up really liking her a lot more and enjoying her company privately. If I decided to ask her out I'd pay no question. I also offered to pay here, but she was adamant that she paid. Nothing I can do about that. Bear in mind, this was few months ago. Now we are a couple and I do a lot of cooking for her [a traditionally woman duty, see].

Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,191,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
By allowing them to experience the pleasure of my company! That's it...that's all that is required by me as a women. I have a good time, the guy has a good time and the date is a hit.
Deary me. So he pays just to have you as a company? That is all you offer? The "pleasure" of your company? You couldn't sound more self-conceited if you tried.

How old are you if I may ask? Just wondering like.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In other words, the man must respect you right off the bat, by wining and dining you. If he is worthy of your respect, you will enter into a relationship with him and cook and clean for him. Do I have that right?

Look...the guy must be halfway interested if he's doing the asking.

Face it, it is a fact of evolution that a man must "win over" a woman.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
She initiated the first few weeks cos she was much more into me than I was to her. I liked her, but not like that.
Just as I suspected... Which would be another reason for her to toss you, but as I said, it's her business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships