Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Paying for your company means you > me. Even subconsciously you would assume I needed to compensate. Statistical outliers always exist, but in general its not a good move to impress a woman. Its just my observation and personal experience.
But my paying for your company would be acceptable in some way?

Quote:
I bet most guys would be happy paying, but I don't think most would be happy with the expectation.
Why not? If they would be happy paying, why would they be surprised that it's expected by the opposite sex? See...now that sounds like a lot of game playing to me! Screw the games!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
And also, I don't know how old you are but women my age group in my nation don't care much about who pays and who doesn't. It doesn't register on our radar.
Let's put it this way...I could probably be your Mother...or Grandmother. Perhaps that's where a lot of our differences come into play? I come from a more traditional time where a guy doing the asking and paying is indeed expected.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Let's put it this way...I could probably be your Mother...or Grandmother. Perhaps that's where a lot of our differences come into play? I come from a more traditional time where a guy doing the asking and paying is indeed expected.
Age has nothing to do with it, I'm 25 and I come from a family that is more traditional too.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Why not? If they would be happy paying, why would they be surprised that it's expected by the opposite sex? See...now that sounds like a lot of game playing to me! Screw the games!
I figure many have a hard time with expectations from strangers in general. I would probably be willing to do a lot of things for various people, but it would be different if it was expected. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if a guy expected you to pay for dinner, correct? Same deal.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
Age has nothing to do with it, I'm 25 and I come from a family that is more traditional too.
I am really, really glad to hear that there is still some sense of tradition going on in the dating world! Kudo's to you!

I swear, if I were thrust into the dating scene at this point in my life, I'd be up a creek without a paddle! I have no clue how it even works in this day and age, after being married for 33 years! I'd still be clinging to tradition and yes...with a sort of sense of entitlement as well!

I'm a woman...and I love being a woman...I enjoy the benefits of being a woman...I like being treated like a lady and as if I matter to a man. Maybe my husband has spoiled me all these years...but whatever. I don't think anybody in this day and age would be able to hold a candle to him.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I am really, really glad to hear that there is still some sense of tradition going on in the dating world! Kudo's to you!

I swear, if I were thrust into the dating scene at this point in my life, I'd be up a creek without a paddle! I have no clue how it even works in this day and age, after being married for 33 years! I'd still be clinging to tradition and yes...with a sort of sense of entitlement as well!

I'm a woman...and I love being a woman...I enjoy the benefits of being a woman...I like being treated like a lady and as if I matter to a man. Maybe my husband has spoiled me all these years...but whatever. I don't think anybody in this day and age would be able to hold a candle to him.
It is difficult, but I find that most men are willing to adapt to my needs. It's such a confusing time. A lot of men view me as a breath of fresh air, so many women are settling with anyone and arn't putting themeselves on a pedestal like they should.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure almost every guy in this thread stated they would pay for whatever for their wives/ fiancees...who are not strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I figure many have a hard time with expectations from strangers in general. I would probably be willing to do a lot of things for various people, but it would be different if it was expected. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if a guy expected you to pay for dinner, correct? Same deal.
Bottom line...if a guy asks me out we can't be total strangers. We would have gotten to know each other a bit in advance somehow before he asked me out. I mean...do people really walk up to strangers on the street in this day and age and say "hey...lets go to dinner this Friday night"? Come on!!! lolololololol! It doesn't happen that way...does it?

I'm sorry, but the guy should be the provider...again...one of my old school beliefs that has worked well for me, for a very long time.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Bottom line...if a guy asks me out we can't be total strangers. We would have gotten to know each other a bit in advance somehow before he asked me out. I mean...do people really walk up to strangers on the street in this day and age and say "hey...lets go to dinner this Friday night"? Come on!!! lolololololol! It doesn't happen that way...does it?

I'm sorry, but the guy should be the provider...again...one of my old school beliefs that has worked well for me, for a very long time.
This happens all the time with me, I get asked out on the street. lol

Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess I consider an acquaintance to be on par with a stranger. I also try to treat people the way I like to be treated wash/repeat.

Quote:
It's good that it works for you, but times are changing. My view of marriage is that we provide for eachother in whatever way necessary. I'm his rock in every way and he's mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships