Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:10 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
If you're a heterosexual, AIDS is FAR down your list of worries about possible outcomes of an unprotected encounter.

Is it possible for a straight person to get AIDS? Absolutely, and like a previous poster pointed out, it's a guaranteed death sentence. Is it likely, even bareback? No, it isn't.

To pre-empt your "but I have a straight friend that has it..." responses, my uncle David has been struck by lightning three times. Sometimes improbable things happen, that's why they are classified as improbable, not impossible.
Agreed to a point. However, again no one knows how honest people are being. I was friends with a guy, and though we never slept together there was definite attraction there. We were friends for almost a year before he actually TOLD me that he was bisexual. And when I got angry, he had the nerve to say "I could have slept with you more than once and you would have never know." He couldn't understand why this bothered me. Because even though I do not want to offend anyone, I know a lot of gay men do not use condoms during oral, they don't seem to think there is high risk for some reason I believe this is one reason there is a higher incidence of HIV among gay men than lesbians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 03:58 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
As a single woman who usually doesn't, but sometimes has had a few casual encounters, I try to keep a condom in my purse or at last in a drawer next to my bed.

It was a bit of a leap, at first, to buy my own, but better than the alternatives. I also felt somewhat grown up and more womanly than ever.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I can't help you with the downtown thing. Maybe SWB can?

HAHA

Are you speaking about the song by the girl group SWV?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:54 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
No...I was talking about having/giving oral sex to a man whilst he wears a condom.

Not the song "downtown"!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:10 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
One thing I've also been concerned with is the fact that a person could carry HIV and it not show up in their blood test for several years.
That is not true. The window period (the period of time between infection and test detection) is no more than 6 months.
Should I Get Tested? | Questions and Answers | Testing | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

It's all about how much risk you want to take. The only sure way to avoid disease is abstinence.

If you do not want to be abstinent, then the next best option is to choose a partner that you can completely trust to be monogamous, be monogamous yourself, both of you would need to be abstinent for 6 months, and then be tested for all STDs. However even this is no guarantee as we have all heard of or know monogamous people whose partners strayed and infected them with disease.

There are products that can be purchased for oral use. There's no need to use saran wrap... unless you really want to.
Can I get HIV from oral sex? | Questions and Answers | CDC HIV/AIDS
Dental Dams (http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/sexual_health/ssc/dams.htm - broken link)
Condomania Online | Dental Dams (http://secure.condomania.com/products.asp?dept=35&gclid=CK_l8eS-14wCFSUPgQodPyNApw - broken link)

Condoms, even when they work perfectly, do not protect you from all STDs.
STD Facts - Human papillomavirus (HPV) However if you are going to be intimate with someone, it is certainly better protection than none.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
No...I was talking about having/giving oral sex to a man whilst he wears a condom.

Not the song "downtown"!

Oh ok LOL thats what I initially thought - sorry about that but when I read it I laughed so hard

Old 06-12-2007, 03:24 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Very good info, christina0001.

Here's one small problem, if your partner is not monogamous, infection may and has occurred during the window period (3-6 months). I have known dozens, women in particular, who have assumed, and would have sworn their partner was (a) monogamous and (b) heterosexual, who became HIV-infected.

One of the serioius struggles public health policy makers, advocates and professionals have had with STIs (HIV, hep, etc.) is the difficulty in getting folks to own up to their sexual practices. New PC words have all been coined to cover this population (in particular, MSM=men who have sex with men). Very few of those defined as MSM acknowledge either to themselves or others they are having same-sex relationships.

Having safe sex is trickier than when I was in my hay-day, fer sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
That is not true. The window period (the period of time between infection and test detection) is no more than 6 months.
Should I Get Tested? | Questions and Answers | Testing | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

It's all about how much risk you want to take. The only sure way to avoid disease is abstinence.

If you do not want to be abstinent, then the next best option is to choose a partner that you can completely trust to be monogamous, be monogamous yourself, both of you would need to be abstinent for 6 months, and then be tested for all STDs. However even this is no guarantee as we have all heard of or know monogamous people whose partners strayed and infected them with disease.

There are products that can be purchased for oral use. There's no need to use saran wrap... unless you really want to.
Can I get HIV from oral sex? | Questions and Answers | CDC HIV/AIDS
Dental Dams (http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/sexual_health/ssc/dams.htm - broken link)
Condomania Online | Dental Dams (http://secure.condomania.com/products.asp?dept=35&gclid=CK_l8eS-14wCFSUPgQodPyNApw - broken link)

Condoms, even when they work perfectly, do not protect you from all STDs.
STD Facts - Human papillomavirus (HPV) However if you are going to be intimate with someone, it is certainly better protection than none.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Quite a few people are unaware of their HIV status because they haven't tested, but as Christina0001 says in her post, the virus is detectable in < 6 months and frequently sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
One thing I've also been concerned with is the fact that a person could carry HIV and it not show up in their blood test for several years.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Quite a few people are unaware of their HIV status because they haven't tested, but as Christina0001 says in her post, the virus is detectable in < 6 months and frequently sooner.
This is true!
In caring for my father on his death bed, died form AIDS (unprotected hetro sex), while giving him his insulin, recapped needle and stuck myself AFTER his injection.
TOTALLY FREAKED OUT !!!
Immediatly went to E.R. and to Dr. following day. Was put on meds for prevention.
Sent me to a lab(3 days later) where they did a test that could detect the virus in 3 days.
Not completely accurate and had to follow up in 6 months. But they could detect the virus in 3 days.
Had several follow up test for 2 years for my own mental health.
YES, they can detect it definately within 6 months.

Thank God the test always came back clean !!!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:27 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

not into one night stands at all...you should be VERY careful if you are...
very careful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships