Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,939,240 times

Advertisements

Looking to meet a woman in a bar is like looking in a newspaper in the want ad section for a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 09:44 AM

20,677 posts, read 19,318,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
That's a great quote. I've added it to my file with a few other ones that really resonate.

Its quite true that if a guy doesn't meet with the approval of the female opinion leaders, his chances in that venue are practically nil. The last thing the rest of the women want to do is look bad (and desperate) in the eyes of women who's opinion they respect.

Now days, this is far more important than finding a good husband. In the era before no fault divorce and affirmative action for women in the workplace, this was much less common. Then women needed to find and keep the good ones. No longer.
Hi NotARedneck,

Worse still is even if she decides to date or marry you anyway, her friends will continually undermine the relationship.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,385,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi NotARedneck,

Worse still is even if she decides to date or marry you anyway, her friends will continually undermine the relationship.
Has that been your experience?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 AM

20,677 posts, read 19,318,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Has that been your experience?
Hi TheImportersWife,

I married late in life and spent more than a decade observing this behavior. I have not experienced undermining but only its influences which is generally positive since I tend to be helpful, and I suppose and I rather like her friends.

I first began to notice the effect in college within our group of friends where one guy picked up a girl and accidentally dropped and injured her. He was a laughing stock. Any girl within the "network" would not touch him.

I would often speak with the wives of some friends of mine and listen with fascination about their network. How many nights out with the boys per week, Valentine's Day gifts, etc. were compared.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 03-28-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,160,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
A friend of mine regaled me with the following story this morning at the gym:

Last night he was out partying at a local club and was sitting at the bar talking to this woman whom he was very attracted to, and whom he was trying his damndest to take home for some horizontal recreation. Alas, after a few drinks and about two hours of talking at hinting to her that they should head back to his pad, the young lass (she was about his age, mid-30's) continued to rebuff his amorous offers. Finally about to call it a night anf head home alone, my buddy opened his wallet to take out his credit card and pay his tab. An old picture of his ex-wife fell out. The chick he had been hitting on saw the pic, picked it up, and remarked to Jason how gorgeous his ex is.
Jason says that it was like flipping on a light switch; all of a sudden this broad becomes interested in him and is touching his arm and leaning into him and they have another drink. Thirty minutes later she goes home with him for a one-night stand.
So...I was wondering: I'm confused! What does this story tell us about the mindset and priorities of women these days?
Preselection in action. The subconscious thought that other women thought he was a good catch, particularly if they're good looking, kicked in and made her more attracted to him as a result.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,935,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
I don't buy that at all. Women like to compete for a guy. They also like to think he's been "vetted" by other women, even if its an ex who hates his guts. If it doesn't feel like she is winning something, she lacks much interest.
I guess so!

My x, still with some limited interest in me, and my next to be wife who is currently, got into an argument on underwire bras, of all things in the court room lobby. And no, I didn't jump from the pan into the fire, just incase it looks that way. My x had me in court for 12 friggin years...

Finally even the court became sick of my x wife too

Old 03-28-2010, 12:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,935,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Open a can of wet cat food and place it within smell shot of the feline.

Never underestimate the power of the almighty dollar, or an extra drink!

WHAT? and waste a perfectly good op to be a hero and rescue kitty? Now why would I want to wreck an op like that?

I knew, she knew, that she knew, she wanted to see cable and sinew... No! I am not gonna ruin that by being smart enough to go get a can of 'wet' cat food!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,800,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Looking to meet a woman in a bar is like looking in a newspaper in the want ad section for a job
Um isn't it almost the same thing you do with the internet sites?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,939,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Um isn't it almost the same thing you do with the internet sites?
Yes but like the BAR., there is not a lot of QUALITY jobs in the newspaper

Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,397,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

Just so you know, Monster is full of crap jobs too. If you really want a job, you have to be friendly and talk to people. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I have a huge social network...that even though I have a huge phobia of being out of work for even a day...I could easily transition into a new job in a week.

Dating is the same way. Make friends with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships