Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times

Advertisements

uh, yeah......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,925,363 times
I have only one non-working quote button, so...

Importer's wife-Spirit? Hmmm! That's interesting, I've never heard it called that before.

Smel-That was funny!

In fact, this whole thread is rather amusing! Great responses!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I've always said that women in general need to be a helluva lot more careful about "who" they make babies with, and still stand by it. Not quite the same thing, I realize, but. . . .

Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,273 times
I'm not sure I agree that the man's spirits "infect" the woman, but I do think that a very deep bond and connection are established when a man and a woman have sex.

Is this bond unbreakable? I am not sure. It does weaken over time, and for some, getting over the emotional baggage created by sexual intercourse is easier to overcome.

In the mid-late 1990s an ex-girlfriend of mine and I had an intimate relationship. She had a lot more experience than I did and after we broke up we met as friends 2 or 3 times. If she had any reticence or discomfort in meeting me as I was an ex-boyfriend who had known her in the most intimate possible way, she sure knew how to hide it. I would guess the reason she got over it fairly quickly was due to the fact she was older, had had more boyfriends and sex under her belt, and had quickly found a new boyfriend.

Not all GFs were like this though - most have been the opposite, never wanting to see me again.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I just talked with my grandmother and I love her dearly, but according to her, she believes that when a woman allows a man to enter them, "they are receiving every aspect of them." This was followed by, "be careful who you lay down with baby."

If this is true, this would explain a lot, but does anyone else believe this?

Nah...I don't really believe that.

Although I do agree that sex is a lot more of an intimate spiritual thing that many tend to believe....but taking on the spirit? That's a little too outthere.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
So we take on our lover's spirit...maybe that explains all those naughty voices in my head???

I don't believe in souls and spirits so I'm not inclined to go along with this from a religious or spiritual angle. I do think that you should at least like the person you are having sex with, so it stands to reason you'd have some sort of connection with them that goes beyond friendship. Whether that bond is pure sexual chemistry or something more intimate, you should share some sort of connection.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:02 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoratorGal View Post
I'm thinking Grandma is speaking metaphorically... as in, you sleep with someone and consequently have vicariously slept with their partners as well.
Sounds like another way of saying "practice safe sex."
I doubt it, this has been a belief of Christianity and other religions for centuries. It's the main reason why sex is to be reserved for marriage. It's believed that once two people have sex their souls are "married".

I am actually shocked so few people have heard of this.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:05 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I doubt it, this has been a belief of Christianity and other religions for centuries. It's the main reason why sex is to be reserved for marriage. It's believed that once two people have sex their souls are "married".

Of course I have heard of this, me being a Christian and all, but I just don't think it actually happens in the modern day.
This is how God intends it to be, for it to be this spiritual connection.

However, it's different than what the OP is saying - receiving a spirit.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
I think there are things in this world which our conscious minds cannot comprehend, and, as far fetched as it seems, there could be some truth in it.

Maybe not the taking on of spirits, but i guess you could interperit it in whatever way you wanted.

It's easy to mock, but then if you look at Christianity in an objective sense. "ok, there's a guy with a beard, who made everything, and runs everything. Nobody's ever seen him, but we know he's there"
It also sounds far-fetched when written in black and white.

Sometimes, as a species, we can be very close-minded.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I do think that you should at least like the person you are having sex with
LOL. Ya think.

Quote:

? I was raised southern baptist, never heard this. I did not a rightous old lady who believed demons lived in the tops of our heads so if a child was hyperactive or suffered from ADD you should pour cold water on top of their head to quench the demon.

I think grandma needs to read a book on reproductive biology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships