Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
She was 17, he was 42. Advice about how one couple handled their age difference.

The last thing I expected from my senior year high school internship was to fall for an older man. I was looking to learn about the TV news business.

25-Year Age Difference: Can It Work?
Look, eight out of ten relationships with that big of an age difference aren't gonna last past a couple years. That's because the relationships is, in the vast majority of cases, built upon superfluous things, like lust or initial fascination, or un-resolved Daddy Issues, or just plain ol' Gold Digger mentality, instead of the things that matter most in finding a true mate.
When I was 33 I married a 21-year-old. She said one night she and her gf's walked into the club I was playing at and after we played two songs she told her freinds she was "gonna marry that drummer dude."
Our marriage lasted for a little over two years.
I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Look, eight out of ten relationships with that big of an age difference aren't gonna last past a couple years. That's because the relationships is, in the vast majority of cases, built upon superfluous things, like lust or initial fascination, or un-resolved Daddy Issues, or just plain ol' Gold Digger mentality, instead of the things that matter most in finding a true mate.
He's right. For me he was my knight in shining armour when I was going through a hard time. 9 years on and I want to end it. Nothing he has done really, I have just grown up and become my own person. I had been out of school for 3 years when I met him - he had been out for 20.

EDIT: btw the only reason we have been together for so long is because I am a coward. I wanted to end things 4 years ago when I was 26. I know how horrible that is, trust me, I live with it every day but I still can't work up the courage...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,686 times
It's not unheard of. In fact science says large age gap relationships with much older men is part of why our species has propagated as well as it has.

Old men chasing young women: A good thing | ScienceBlog.com

My own situation has gotten me invited to a Sr prom by an 18 year old. I'm 33

Old 03-30-2010, 11:34 PM

964 posts, read 3,159,719 times
my cutoff age is 40, and I'm 23. if she's interested and nice looking, why not?

Old 05-02-2020, 07:50 AM

57 posts, read 20,554 times
There's actually 2 questions here. Can a 25 year age difference work? Should a 42 year old date a 17 year old?.

I think the answers are different. Can a 25 year age difference work? - Most certainly it can. It's compatibility not chronolgical age that matters. Can a 17-42 year old relationship work? Highly unlikely, simply because it is doubtful that a 17 year old has actually completed the psychological processes to actually know who they are. Certainly I hadn't embraced all the parts of my identity until my mid-late 20s, it would have been fun but irresponsible to enter into a serious relationship with ANYONE before that. A 75-50 age difference looks much different.

The last date I went on I was 18 years older than he is and we had a great time.

Last edited by SurfSmurf; 05-02-2020 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-02-2020, 08:05 AM

57 posts, read 20,554 times
Of course you could always go by the biblical recommendations on age. 1/2 + 7 (assuming you're straight - the equation is different for gay couples) So at 45 the youngest you should date is 29/30 year olds.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:18 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSmurf View Post
Of course you could always go by the biblical recommendations on age. 1/2 + 7 (assuming you're straight - the equation is different for gay couples) So at 45 the youngest you should date is 29/30 year olds.
Where does it say anything about this in the Bible?

Old 05-02-2020, 08:48 AM

272 posts, read 130,791 times
It can work as age is just a number. However, there is a big difference between 17 and 42. The teenager is/was just a child though nearly a legal adult. The folks involved are in different stages of life and will have very different motivations, thoughts, dreams and desires. It could work, though. Nothing new under the sun, to coin a phrase.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:37 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSmurf View Post
There's actually 2 questions here. Can a 25 year age difference work? Should a 42 year old date a 17 year old?.

I think the answers are different. Can a 25 year age difference work? - Most certainly it can. It's compatibility not chronolgical age that matters. Can a 17-42 year old relationship work? Highly unlikely, simply because it is doubtful that a 17 year old has actually completed the psychological processes to actually know who they are. Certainly I hadn't embraced all the parts of my identity until my mid-late 20s, it would have been fun but irresponsible to enter into a serious relationship with ANYONE before that. A 75-50 age difference looks much different.

The last date I went on I was 18 years older than he is and we had a great time.
Yeah, thanks, New Member, for resurrecting a 10-year-old thread. We've been through this topic so many times, on so may threads... But what several men have said, who were the older one in a marriage with a "young" wife, is that once the guys got to age 60 or so, and the wife was 40 or younger, she decided to move on.

Nothing to see here, people. Move along, move along. Same old, same old.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:05 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,302,099 times
I doubt its going to last, but most relationships that we engage in at 17 don't last. The question I would be asking is whether this guy is better than your other options and if this relationship does end will you regret more that you entered into this relationship or that you didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships