Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,126 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time lurker here, and I know many people here have given excellent advice. I have a little bit of a problem and really need to vent. Here's my story: A few weeks ago, I was at a social function at a friend's house, and struck up a conversation with a guy. Anyway, we seemed to click right away, and started to hang out about a week later.

I like to get to know people as friends first, because I think that's the best foundation for a relationship, so we hung out just as friends. I sensed he might be attracted to me, and I was definitely starting to like him more in a romantic sense. Things finally came to a head Saturday night, when I asked him what he thought of me, and where this might go. He told me he loves my personality, and thinks we get along extremely well, but...he tells me he's not attracted to me physically because he's gay, and in the closet.

Now, I'm heartbroken. I was always raised that if you like someone, you should like them for who they are on the inside, and not be so shallow as to reject them just because they may not be perfect in your eyes. I'm not the best looking girl in the world, but why don't men see women for who we are on the inside? I don't know what I'm going to do now. I'd feel awkward hanging out with him again, and I can tell he'd feel the same way.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm heartbroken over this.

This is the same old story I hear from guys: you've got a great personality, but you're just not my type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
lol..

Women are shallow too. It transcends gender.

If anything, it's more of an individual thing. Not all men are as shallow as others are.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Being gay isn't shallow. He's not rejecting you for superficial reasons, he's just not into women. You can't
expect a cat to be a dog.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM

191 posts, read 349,775 times
But...he's gay. No matter how much you want him to be physically attracted to you, he won't be. He sounds like he might make a good friend though, I wouldn't boot him. He did nothing wrong.

As far as other men who aren't gay...you can't help who you're attracted to. I've tried to make it work with girls in the past who were really fun, cool girls to hang out with, but if the attraction isn't there, it ain't happening. Girls do it too.

Last edited by RUINER_SR4; 03-29-2010 at 09:47 AM..

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Am I hallucinating, or did you just accuse a gay man of being too shallow to date a woman?

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
The ocean is big, keep fishing, eventually you'll hook one.
If the need is immediate, there's always the online dating sites.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Am I hallucinating, or did you just accuse a gay man of being too shallow to date a woman?

You are not hallucinating lol

wow.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceSouthernGal View Post
This is the same old story I hear from guys: you've got a great personality, but you're just not my type.
Uhm, no, it's not the SAME old story about men saying you have a great personality but... It's about a gay man not being attracted to women, not just you, on a romantic or sexual level. That is something you cannot change or do anything about and it's not something that should be looked upon negatively as rejection. It's just a simple fact you should not take personally. What is it that you feel you can garner in an intimate relationship with a gay man, who has no interest in women at all, except for friendship? This simply is not a case of a man being shallow as he said you would make great friends and I would keep it that way.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceSouthernGal View Post
I'm not the best looking girl in the world, but why don't men see women for who we are on the inside?
This guy did see who you are on the inside but didn't find a 'Y' chromosome. If it makes you feel any better, this guy doesn't like 50% of the population. Consider it a true case of "it's not you, it's me".

Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Well..if you feel that just hanging out with him "as friends" would be to awkward for you, then my advice for you would be to leave it be.
At least he was honest with you about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships