Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Onglet, our group secretary was 39 when I hired on in 1991. She is still, officially, 39. You do the math.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Seriously I don't see putting 39 in for age if you are actually 40 to be a big deal.
Yes see, I know people who do this. I don't want to be that women... it seems kinda pathetic to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi teatime,

The problem is its just a simple query. A man is going to often just put in an age range he thinks he wants. I would think I would be more likely to find someone suitable at a younger range. Its not really a hang up.
As opposed to an age range he REALLY wants?

Maybe there's a reason he won't date a certain age.

Me personally, I'm 27 now, and I recently changed my range to 25+

I just haven't met enough 24 year old women who were mature enough to be in the type of relationship I was looking for, and I was sick of women that age not being able to decide on what they want in life. Sure 25 year olds are likely to have this mindset or maturity level as well, but I just felt too many 24 year olds weren't in the mindset I was looking for.

BTW, what's the difference between a man puting and age range he THINKS he wants and a woman puting an age range of a man 3 years older than she is? Is she above her own age?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'm 5'8". If I were filling out a profile, I might be tempted to put 5'9" just so I don't get filtered out by too many women. But sooner or later, they'll realized that I lied.
I can assure you I can't tell the difference between 5'8" and 5'9"!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sure! And 20 is the new fetus!

You see, this thread is not really about age, beauty, stigma, or any of that. This is simply a technical and practical problem, and the only way around it while being honest is to state different age in the field used in the searches and then mention your real age in the body of the profile and explain why you did this. I'm guessing you're not familiar with the issue.

If it were me, if I see somebody who interests me, I'd go for him anyway without waiting for him to potentially find me, but not everybody operates the same way, and the approach is not necessarily successful.
I understand the concept. But when you get right down to it, it does have to do with beauty. Like I stated earlier, if the OP is an attractive female, posting her photo is going to take precedence over anything else she includes in her profile. So posting one age in order to get picked up on the search engine and then posting your real age in the profile with a brief explanation is all well and good. But the difference will be in whether or not they find her attractive to begin with. If she's pretty, a lot of guys won't care if she lies by 10 years or if she confessed to having a freezer full of human heads. If she's not attractive, they'll just click on the "next" button without even reading her profile anyway, so point is moot.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
If she immediately explained why, it may work as a strategy to put 39 if its just a year or two off. There are single groups defined as 40+. I saw a 34-44 church, singles group. Now how excited do you think a single, never married, 34 year old man would be going to the 34-44 group?
First of all, no one is FORCING him to go to it. If he WANTS to go, then I guess he's fine with it. Many people don't have the prejudices that you seem to harbor.

Secondly, you assume that the 34-year-old would have issues with the 44-year-olds but not the other way around? I'm not romantically interested in men 10 years younger than I am but I'd be happy to make their acquaintance as friends, anyway.

You seem all hepped up about fertility but neglect an equally strong human need -- companionship. And companionship is the MOST enduring need. I may have been ABLE to reproduce to my heart's content when I was younger but the fact of the matter is that I didn't WANT to reproduce with gusto.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I understand the concept. But when you get right down to it, it does have to do with beauty. Like I stated earlier, if the OP is an attractive female, posting her photo is going to take precedence over anything else she includes in her profile. So posting one age in order to get picked up on the search engine and then posting your real age in the profile with a brief explanation is all well and good. But the difference will be in whether or not they find her attractive to begin with. If she's pretty, a lot of guys won't care if she lies by 10 years or if she confessed to having a freezer full of human heads. If she's not attractive, they'll just click on the "next" button without even reading her profile anyway, so point is moot.
Good point. They likely do a search and look at the pictures that pop up before anything else.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
But when you get right down to it, it does have to do with beauty.
No, it has to do with losing a big market.

Quote:
Like I stated earlier, if the OP is an attractive female, posting her photo is going to take precedence over anything else she includes in her profile. So posting one age in order to get picked up on the search engine and then posting your real age in the profile with a brief explanation is all well and good. But the difference will be in whether or not they find her attractive to begin with. If she's pretty, a lot of guys won't care if she lies by 10 years or if she confessed to having a freezer full of human heads. If she's not attractive, they'll just click on the "next" button without even reading her profile anyway, so point is moot.
We keep going in circles here... Everything you say is valid. The only problem is the evaluation can only happen in the event of her profile being seen AT ALL! And that's the problem!

If I don't have money for 1M+ house, I don't search in this bracket!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
I can assure you I can't tell the difference between 5'8" and 5'9"!
Thanks. The point is that I would never say I'm something that I'm not just to get past the initial screen which is what the OP is trying to do. Even if it's something minor like an inch of height or one year in your age, it makes a bad first impression. Supposed I wasn't interested in women taller than me. I find one profile where the girl is 5'8" and then click on it to read more. Then I discover she's actually 5'9", but said she was 5'8" cause she was worried guys would screen her out, my first thought would be, "so this person tricked me into reading their profile. No thanks."

Old 03-30-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
No, it has to do with losing a big market.

We keep going in circles here... Everything you say is valid. The only problem is the evaluation can only happen in the event of her profile being seen AT ALL! And that's the problem!

If I don't have money for 1M+ house, I don't search in this bracket!
I think he is agreeing that the the strategy makes sense, and that no one will feel duped because they are just going to judge me as attractive or not over all else.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
First of all, no one is FORCING him to go to it. If he WANTS to go, then I guess he's fine with it. Many people don't have the prejudices that you seem to harbor.

Secondly, you assume that the 34-year-old would have issues with the 44-year-olds but not the other way around? I'm not romantically interested in men 10 years younger than I am but I'd be happy to make their acquaintance as friends, anyway.

You seem all hepped up about fertility but neglect an equally strong human need -- companionship. And companionship is the MOST enduring need. I may have been ABLE to reproduce to my heart's content when I was younger but the fact of the matter is that I didn't WANT to reproduce with gusto.

Hi teatime,

That is because you don't appear to understand what I mean by fertility. Men are interested in the signs of it because its pleasurable. Its simply nature's manipulation. The concept of an unplanned pregnancy would not exist if we ordered them out of a catalog.

Not all people are as "hepped up" about companionship as you are. Ask yourself why you, as a 45 year old, find plenty of men in their 50s.

BTW what prejudices do I harbor other than sexual pleasure exists because it causes us to reproduce? In that case, I am simply not an idiot. Was their another one?

And stop yelling. It comes off as rapid insecurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships