U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM
 
Location: NYC
7,366 posts, read 14,211,002 times
Reputation: 10363

Advertisements

So I'm thinking about giving a few online sites a shot again, but this time around I will be FORTY.

Let's face it, everyone assumes that a 40 year old is a fat hag - hell I'm often told around here that I need to join a gym and lose weight, without a person even knowing what I look like! As a result, I think a lot of people exclude 40+.

I am not a big fan of lying. I don't want to seem like I am ashamed of my age either. I can pass for younger thanks to my lack of wrinkles (a benefit of dark skin) but I'm not deluded enough to think I look like I'm in my 20s. Even without wrinkles, I still have the larger 35-45 y.o. head that nobody escapes.

I know of a few people who have circumvented this by listed their age as 35, then going on to tell the truth in the body of their profile. Good idea or not? It seems shifty to me, but they say that A. Lots of people lie, both men and women and B. shame on them for not fully reading your profile if they feel duped.

So? What is the general consensus?

And for the record, the men I want to date already have children and are typically divorced. My personal preference would be men aged 40 to 45.

Last edited by OngletNYC; 03-30-2010 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Added in my personal age preference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Texas
8,064 posts, read 17,420,972 times
Reputation: 3722
I really don't see how shaving 5 years off your stated age will make any difference, except perhaps to attract someone who has age hangups. Do you really want to attract that sort of person?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 AM
 
26,143 posts, read 30,091,848 times
Reputation: 27203
Lowering your age is going to yeild you younger men, who may not fit the criteria you are looking for. Forty isn't fatal and there are plenty of men who don't want the hassel of a woman under that age. Plus, yeah, I'd feel duped because if you are seeking a long term relationship with someone then you've started it off in the foundation of a lie already which isn't a good start. It will come out eventually and that could easily translate to 'what else is she lying about?" Long term it could damage your trustworthiness. If you are including a photo then let the man decide if you are attractive to him or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: My Private Island
4,940 posts, read 8,057,335 times
Reputation: 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
So I'm thinking about giving a few online sites a shot again, but this time around I will be FORTY.

Let's face it, everyone assumes that a 40 year old is a fat hag - hell I'm often told around here that I need to join a gym and lose weight, without a person even knowing what I look like! As a result, I think a lot of people exclude 40+.

I am not a big fan of lying. I don't want to seem like I am ashamed of my age either. I can pass for younger thanks to my lack of wrinkles (a benefit of dark skin) but I'm not deluded enough to think I look like I'm in my 20s. Even without wrinkles, I still have the larger 35-45 y.o. head that nobody escapes.

I know of a few people who have circumvented this by listed their age as 35, then going on to tell the truth in the body of their profile. Good idea or not? It seems shifty to me, but they say that A. Lots of people lie, both men and women and B. shame on them for not fully reading your profile if they feel duped.

So? What is the general consensus?

And for the record, the men I want to date already have children and are typically divorced.
Do you have to put an age?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,366 posts, read 14,211,002 times
Reputation: 10363
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Do you have to put an age?
I don't understand your question - would you mind rephrasing it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM
 
2,013 posts, read 3,432,634 times
Reputation: 2162
Depends. If what you're looking for is just quick hookups, then yes, but what if you find something long-term? Are going to confess or continue the lie?

Seems like a very unnecessary move that can cause some damage later on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,910 posts, read 19,921,696 times
Reputation: 19377
Question, do you plan on including a photo of yourself in your profile? If they see what they like it won't matter what your age is, they'll be interested.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
 
20,376 posts, read 18,407,700 times
Reputation: 8024
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I really don't see how shaving 5 years off your stated age will make any difference, except perhaps to attract someone who has age hangups. Do you really want to attract that sort of person?

Hi teatime,

The problem is its just a simple query. A man is going to often just put in an age range he thinks he wants. I would think I would be more likely to find someone suitable at a younger range. Its not really a hang up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,366 posts, read 14,211,002 times
Reputation: 10363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Lowering your age is going to yeild you younger men, who may not fit the criteria you are looking for. Forty isn't fatal and there are plenty of men who don't want the hassel of a woman under that age. Plus, yeah, I'd feel duped because if you are seeking a long term relationship with someone then you've started it off in the foundation of a lie already which isn't a good start. It will come out eventually and that could easily translate to 'what else is she lying about?" Long term it could damage your trustworthiness. If you are including a photo then let the man decide if you are attractive to him or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Depends. If what you're looking for is just quick hookups, then yes, but what if you find something long-term? Are going to confess or continue the lie?

Seems like a very unnecessary move that can cause some damage later on.
I think you both missed the point about putting my real age in my profile. The age reduction would occur in the general stats.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 12:14 PM
 
20,376 posts, read 18,407,700 times
Reputation: 8024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Question, do you plan on including a photo of yourself in your profile? If they see what they like it won't matter what your age is, they'll be interested.

Hi Coolhand68,

She may not show up in the results.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top