Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:55 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Maybe you're boring, did you think about that? It's easy to say a man has issues if he devotes more than half his week to football, harder to realize that maybe you're not interesting enough to him that he can tear himself away from the game.
Hey welcome back!

As for this issue, I'll have CD know I missed the first half of the Panthers statement win this well to attend....a baby shower for a friend. I know CD is shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 11:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
OP - No, definitely not. I don't say that often but will in this regard.

I will easily dismiss those who say "yes" by stating the following: They are sports lovers who are with people that are not. As sports lovers, they lack awareness, and thus fundamentally are way less than qualified to thus compose a pragmatic answer for this thread. Their spouse is likely miserable every time they turn on TV to watch a game, but they internalize it or go do something else.

Why do I state that? Because being sedentary watching a bunch of people running back and forth on a square or rectangle, and getting enjoyment out of it, is rather insane. There's no way around it. Volumes have been published on this topic, Google is your friend. It doesn't take a rocket science to make you wonder the following:

1) With Team assignment being an obviously artificial line of delineation - rooting for one or another unless your friend or family member is participating in a game is illogical. Regardless of where you are from, rooting for one place and against another is not human nature. It's ridiculous and divisive brainwashing that has to be taught at an early age. So why are there sports team fans? Why do people get so excited about who wins or loses? Follow the money and the truth is revealed. It's about brainwashing for divisiveness and to turn the distracted, captive and lazy audience into consumers. Methods of control.

2) When a game is finished, it makes sense that there is a sense of accomplishment among the winning teammates. However, for outsiders that have no stake in it, all that has been accomplished is a waste of time. Literally, a waste of time. Why do viewers feel happy or sad at the outcome? I know so many men who spent the last 40 years every Saturday and Sunday watching game after game after game. They all have the same things in common: a) they've gotten older and haven't accomplished anything of value practicing this, and b) they're out of shape, dying/suffering from preventable ailments. Oh and one more thing c) they are great at rattling off useless statistics about players or teams making others feel like they are in the out-group if they cannot likewise do the same. It's a farce, it's like built in marketing for this particular behavior... if you feel like you need to have this bizarre ability or sense of community, you then start watching more sports! Don't do it... you will just grow old having wasted your limited time in your body watching other people do pointless things.

There's simply no point. It's a waste of life, time, etc. One can only hope that as awareness spreads around the world (it is right now, and it's accelerating, but sports watchers are oblivious to it and will deny it), professional sports will go by the wayside as a distraction that no one in their right mind will invest much time or money.

So back to my point - when there is a partner in any relationship that doesn't watch or follow sports and one who does, things will be out of balance.

The person without inclination to do the sports thing has that for a reason... and in my experience it is because they have a higher level of awareness and see the futility of them. They may sit by and tolerate their partner being sedentary watching sports for hours on end because the partner may have other qualities that seemingly make up for the awareness deficiency (money, looks, confidence, a large social circle, etc). The non-sports partner may think they are the one who needs to change and even try to get into the games. That hardly ever pans out. They will likely want to do other more productive/fun things with their time. The reality is that this can go on for a lifetime (I've seen it).

It's sad and it is unhealthy. I say lets the sports brainwashed folks stick with each other and those aware enough to avoid watching/following them be with each other as well. Things will be more in balance, the relationships less shallow.

Last edited by belovenow; 10-20-2015 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hey welcome back!
Apparently, he came back to continue an argument from 5 years ago…

Quote:
As for this issue, I'll have CD know I missed the first half of the Panthers statement win this well to attend....a baby shower for a friend. I know CD is shocked.
I'm the one at the baby shower sneakily checking on my phone to see the scores.

As for the necro thread - my ex didn't care about sports at all. That wasn't why we broke up. It seemed to work okay even though he had no interest and I can be a bit of a fanatic.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:09 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
I enjoy niche sports, often ones where the athletes actually have to work a day job in order to afford to compete. I just find sports like the NFL very obnoxious, heck people at my work did nothing but talk about the commercials at the Super Bowl. A soon as something becomes too popular and very commercialized I just lose interest.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:12 PM

565 posts, read 432,845 times
Of course it can work just fine. Reading some of the recent threads on CDR, it seems to me that most posters want to date a mirror image of themselves. That seems completely retarded and unrealistic to me.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:52 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post

I will easily dismiss those who say "yes" by stating the following: They are sports lovers who are with people that are not. As sports lovers, they lack awareness, and thus fundamentally are way less than qualified to thus compose a pragmatic answer for this thread. Their spouse is likely miserable every time they turn on TV to watch a game, but they internalize it or go do something else.
So, enjoying watching sports now equates to someone having psychological issues?

As someone who apparently isn't "qualified" to give a pragmatic answer to this thread, I will anyway.

Yup, there can absolutely be successful relationships between those who love sports and those who do not. My partner doesn't like professional sports, I do- especially football. If we are not out and about on Sundays during the season, chances are that I will be watching it. Knowing him as I do, I hardly think that he's "miserable" every time a game comes on. He either watches it, or he doesn't. He'll go do his own thing for a couple of hours. He'll watch what he wants to watch on the other tv. Our relationship is based on being compatible as individuals, not in being mirror images of each other in our interests and tastes.

Quote:
So back to my point - when there is a partner in any relationship that doesn't watch or follow sports and one who does, things will be out of balance.
One thing comes to mind when I read this comment.

Making a mountain out of a molehill.

I would venture to guess that for many (most?) people, this is simply a non-issue. That someone has differing interests is part of life. You either deal with it, or you don't- but it's certainly not something to get in a lather about.

Quote:
The person without inclination to do the sports thing has that for a reason... and in my experience it is because they have a higher level of awareness and see the futility of them. They may sit by and tolerate their partner being sedentary watching sports for hours on end because the partner may have other qualities that seemingly make up for the awareness deficiency (money, looks, confidence, a large social circle, etc). The non-sports partner may think they are the one who needs to change and even try to get into the games. That hardly ever pans out. They will likely want to do other more productive/fun things with their time. The reality is that this can go on for a lifetime (I've seen it).
Oh dear.

"Awareness deficiency". I wonder if that is translatable to my partner spending hours on his military models, or enjoying spending a lazy Sunday afternoon watching old Westerns on tv. Or does this just apply to watching sports?

That poor "non-sports watching partner". Too bad they didn't get into a relationship with someone whose interests were completely compatible with their own, since obviously spending time "doing their own thing" for a couple of hours a week would be way too much for them.

This truly is a travesty.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
The woman I dated must love sports because I'm a sports lover. Any woman who hates sports is not a woman I want to be with.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:05 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Only if he is a psycho and yells at the tv, then smashes shyt when his team loses.

Hey everyone hates losing but stop acting like an animal.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
OP - No, definitely not. I don't say that often but will in this regard.

Um, actually I'm not a sports lover and I said "yes", it can work. So that blows your theory totally out of the water. I am not miserable every time a game it on because I'm happy to go do something else. I have interests and hobbies that he doesn't. So why would I be miserable because he has some that I don't? It's healthy to have some separate interests, and like I said in the beginning of this topic (which was years ago, not sure why this is still going), as long as you have other things in common, I don't see why it wouldn't work. No one has to - nor should they - do everything together.

Quote:
Why do I state that? Because being sedentary watching a bunch of people running back and forth on a square or rectangle, and getting enjoyment out of it, is rather insane. There's no way around it.
On the contrary, that is among the most insane things I've ever heard. I may not really like sports, but I can appreciate that it is much more than running back and forth on a square or rectangle. Just because it's not my thing doesn't mean I feel the need to insult people who do. The only reason YOU can't be with someone who likes sports is because you're completely unreasonable about them. That doesn't mean everyone who isn't into sports is like you are, so please don't speak for all of us.

Quote:
Volumes have been published on this topic, Google is your friend.
You can also Google the opposite and read volumes on how psychologically healthy sports can be. When you have an agenda, any study can be manipulated to suit your cause.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Maybe you're boring, did you think about that? It's easy to say a man has issues if he devotes more than half his week to football, harder to realize that maybe you're not interesting enough to him that he can tear himself away from the game.
Oh, honey. Grumpy old man syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships