Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 PM

17,620 posts, read 22,575,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I know how to swim. I want to learn how to sail!

When the main mast yard arm swings over, if you don't duck, you will be swimming......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
I didn't care for the first group I joined but the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th have been great. I have a 5th and 6th that I've joined but haven't actually participated in activities with them yet. The other 3 keep me pretty busy and sometimes I have to say "no" to things because their schedules overlap. I'm a loner and sort of anti-social so this was a big step for me and now I'm a real fan.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,108,689 times
I tried it last year. My niece who moved out west really likes the groups and said it was great for meeting new people after relocating. So when I relocated I thought I would give it a try. I joined a photography group. I am somewhat shy so this was kind of hard for me. I went to one meeting and realized that everyone was at least 20 yrs older than me and the two women that ran the group were not very welcoming. I went to college for design so I have a good idea of how to use photoshop. I wanted to learn more about settings on the SLR. These women were just discovering photoshop which was very obvious to me. They acted like they knew more than what they really did. So when the one lady presented a photograph she was particularly proud of I asked if she used the Fresco treatment. She replied with a hostile NOOOO. I just smiled and let it go but I was thinking YEESSS. A month later I got an email from the one lady telling me my bill was due. I had no idea that some of the groups charge. I did not see anywhere on the site there are fees. So I emailed her back and said I was not interested and removed myself from the group. I may try it again and look for something else. I would give it a shot.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,616,747 times
It varies. Some groups can be fun, others will feel like a waste of time. And the group itself might be fun, but you might go to an event where the people who showed up weren't fun to be around. I would look at past events to get a feel for whether the group is a good one and whether the people who are regulars at events look like people you'd want to hang out with. A lot of groups, people just join and never go to events making the group pointless to join.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM

556 posts, read 2,084,162 times
I'm in several groups here in our city and they are all so active that I have a hard time keeping up with the various calendars -

For specific interests, like that of sailing - I think a meetup.com group is exactly what you are looking for! The levels of experience will be from brand new to highly specialized - and everyone seems very willing to share what they know! That's what meetup.com is all about - finding like-minded folks to get together and do what you enjoy - and share what you know (or don't know) with the rest of the group!

HAVE FUN!!! And let us know how your sailing adventures go!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,811 times
The meetup sailing group in West Palm Beach has a sailing and a "club" meetup each month. People form sub-groups with the skippers who have a sailing style that fits theirs. The Shearwater (my boat) group changes slightly each month and sails about once a week - taking turns on the wheel and sails while I coach (I'm an instructor and skipper). I think they get a good deal for their time and money since we find common friends and all build our sailing skills and sailing is free except for lunch.

Your results may vary - this group does quite a lot of sailing and most skippers are members of variouis area clubs that race. If you treat it like a school (dedicate some time, do a little practice, and show up for the sailing lessons), you will have a very positive learning experience, some fun, and some opportunity to meet others who sail and frequently engage in other outdoor sports such as running and biking.

If you are in South Florida, look at the West Palm Beach Sailing Meetup Group or drop me a note at: stu@shearwater-sailing.com happy sailing, /Stu

Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,996,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Just a note: I'm looking to learn how to sail, not make friends. Although, naturally, I am open to friendships lol. It is just not my main purpose. I think I'm going to check it out and see what happens.
Come to NYC - they have a sailing school in Battery Park. You will learn to sail in Hudson Bay and Hudson River.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:14 AM

24 posts, read 49,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
I joined singles groups as well and actually got the impression they are purely for socializing - with other singles - not for finding dates. Because isn't it fun to socialize with the opposite sex sometimes with no intention of dating or worrying about any of the dating/sex drama?
So, where are people supposed to find dates then???????????????????

Surely not the "married" groups!

I do enjoy socializing with women but being single forever I would like to date someone! (and people ask me "why?" which is an annoying rhetorical question, and so.... friendship, intimacy, sharing, caring, sex, sex, sex, and more intimacy, etc. etc. etc.)

I find the "it will happen when you least expect it crap" completely nauseating. I didn't get my college degrees by just waiting for it to happen.

And no, online dating stinks. I tried it for many years and it's all games. The attractive women are looking for 10s. It's a waste of time. It's also only a tiny percentage of single people out there so it's really a craps shoot.

Blah. Time for work.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:17 AM

261 posts, read 526,692 times
This sounds really good is it only for activities in the states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships