Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Isn't that what you are doing by complaining about how they think?

No, I'm complaining about the attacks on people who do not think /live the way they do.

I have noticed quite a few that appear to share a single mind with a single thought. That must mean there are an awful lot of schizophrenics living multiple lifestyles to generate those unique outlooks for each person alive.

Huh?

I have to question your logic here. LOTS of people owned slaves, does that mean slavery couldn't be that wrong. Nazi Germany had LOTS of people hunting Jews for the rewards and LOTS of people assisting in the transportation of those Jews to the camps. I guess that couldn't have been wrong either. Do I need to get permission from my wife to have a booty call? Is it still a booty call if I call my wife?

A booty call is completely consensual and no one gets hurt. Your examples are filled with people who were hurting others. And yes if you and your wife are role playing, you may still call it a booty call.

Maybe when you grow up and stop raining on my holy ranting ceremony. Do you have any idea how much effort I put into my piety and condescending attitude toward all of you single people?? Really! It is exhausting and I think you should be much more appreciative of me.

BTW, can I complain about your spelling now, that could be fun too you know. (be sure to leave mine along or you will hurt my feelings!)
What spelling errors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:25 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
Also, this is an online forum and one can have as many different opinions without the fear of judgement.
Judgment will never cease, will it?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:58 PM

622 posts, read 1,279,574 times
Well what would be the point of these forums if everybody just said "oh I agree", or "well do what you think is best"? Boring dont ya think?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Why is it that people who post here feel that if a person isn't living a certain lifestyle or have a certain way of thinking that they are wrong?...
Why is it so hard for so many people to have an open mind? I don't know.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
that people who post here feel that if a person isn't living a certain lifestyle or have a certsin way of thinking that they are wrong?

Why can't we accept that for every person that exists that person has a different outlook on life and will make different lifestyle choices?

Okay you are in your 30's and wouldn't date someone in their late teens/early 20's. Why is your choice right and theirs wrong? What if your thought process is the wrong one?

You wouldn't engage in a booty call: LOTS of people do. It can't be that wrong.

Some people prefer being single, don't want kids and don't want to deal with the drama of a relationship. Yes, most people want a family but there are those who don't and there's nothing wrong with it just because their choice isn't the same as yours.

When do we, as adults, get to live our lives without the holier-than-thous raining on everyone's parade?
I am assuming I am included in your reference to the would-be cradle-robber.

Here's the deal: When people post questions asking for input about whether they should date person A or person B, they're going to get responses from all kinds of people with all kinds of perspectives shaped by all kinds of life experiences. The people who post those kinds of questions may not like some of the responses they get, but that's the risk they take when they open their private lives up for public debate on a message board. Personally, I have never and most likely will never do that, myself, not only because I don't need or want such advice, but because it would tick me off to no end if my guy were to ask questions about his relationship with me on a public forum behind my back, and I try to treat him as I would want him to treat me. Sure, it's supposedly anonymous, but I don't trust it--nothing on the Internet is truly anonymous if you dig deeply enough--and, more importantly, my loyalties lie with my man, not several hundred folks I've never met, much as I find y'all groovy.

Anyway, for those who do put it all out there, I think it should be an eye-opener for them, because I guarantee you that for every person who writes on this forum, there are thousands and thousands of people out there walking around who feel the same way. All an opposing opinion here is going to do is prepare the posters for what they may encounter "in real life," ie, protective parents who don't want 33-year-old men hanging around their 18-year-old daughters. Whether you or anyone else agrees or disagrees with such sentiments and therefore deem them worthy or unworthy of being expressed isn't really relevant: The reality is that people can and do feel that way "in real life" and will act upon their beliefs accordingly. Not liking it doesn't mean it will cease to exist. And hey, when Daddy comes tromping out to have a word with the gent, the gent can't say he hadn't been warned that such a thing might happen.

What confuses me, CES, is why it upsets you enough to create this thread. I tend to agree with you 99% of the time and think you are tremendously intuitive and thoughtful in what you write here, so this is totally not to criticize you. Just saying, I don't get it. If an OP is offended or disagrees with what someone says, he or she can respond to it.

Me, I'm of the frame of mind that people are always going to make assumptions about me based on what I write here. It makes no difference to me because these assumptions are being made by people I don't know and wouldn't recognize if they came up to me and slapped me. In fact, sometimes it's entertaining because invariably, the people who are ill-mannered and obnoxious enough to actually type out something like, "if you wrote that, you must be this way" or "if you think that, you must live that way" are wrong.

But hey, when people write things like that, it demonstrates that they think they've got everyone all figured out. You know, because they know everyone here personally and are privy to the details of everyone's lives. Point is, if they're nasty enough to take the time to post it, they're too nasty to be convinced otherwise, so meh, why bother?

After all, to borrow from the famous cartoon that appeared in The New Yorker, on the Internet, [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you%27re_a_dog"]nobody knows you're a dog[/URL].

Last edited by Yzette; 04-05-2010 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Sorry for the novella!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameribull View Post
Well what would be the point of these forums if everybody just said "oh I agree", or "well do what you think is best"? Boring dont ya think?
I don't think anyone wants that. But just once I'd like to see a thread that addresses infidelity, race, or age and it doesn't turn into a heated finger-wagging trial. I bet we miss out on some good topics of discussion because people are afraid to post topics or questions because they know they'll get flogged like a baby seal because there are folks who can't handle an adult conversation in a civilized manner.

I would also bet that a lot of those same critics would not speak to someone in the same tone or choice of words in person.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameribull View Post
I think we can disagree with someone without personally attacking them or their lifestyle choices.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I don't think anyone wants that. But just once I'd like to see a thread that addresses infidelity, race, or age and it doesn't turn into a heated finger-wagging trial. I bet we miss out on some good topics of discussion because people are afraid to post topics or questions because they know they'll get flogged like a baby seal because there are folks who can't handle an adult conversation in a civilized manner.

I would also bet that a lot of those same critics would not speak to someone in the same tone or choice of words in person.
Exactly!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
...that people don't put the subject in the title.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
that people who post here feel that if a person isn't living a certain lifestyle or have a certsin way of thinking that they are wrong?

Why can't we accept that for every person that exists that person has a different outlook on life and will make different lifestyle choices?

Okay you are in your 30's and wouldn't date someone in their late teens/early 20's. Why is your choice right and theirs wrong? What if your thought process is the wrong one?

You wouldn't engage in a booty call: LOTS of people do. It can't be that wrong.

Some people prefer being single, don't want kids and don't want to deal with the drama of a relationship. Yes, most people want a family but there are those who don't and there's nothing wrong with it just because their choice isn't the same as yours.

When do we, as adults, get to live our lives without the holier-than-thous raining on everyone's parade?

Hi CESpeed,

Some people think having a 100 cats in one residence is wrong. Why is that wrong? Why are you raining on the holier-than-thous parade?
There is no such thing as pure tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships