Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,091 times

Advertisements

My sis and I have always been very very close. It is only the two of us, with only 2 years separating us.

When we were about 16 and 14, she developed a massive crush on a guy we both knew. Turned out he had developed a massive crush too - on me. Nothing ever happened between us.

Ever since then my sister has been very wary about me meeting her potential boyfriends. Now at 28 she has a man who she has been with for about 9 months, and who she also now lives with. I am still yet to meet him.

Every time I suggest dinner/drinks/get together, she comes up with some reason why it can't happen. About 5 months ago I added him on FB just to say hi and she absolutely freeeeeaked at me. It has gotten to a point where it is really starting to seriously hurt me, and it doesn't help that my mum constantly takes her side, defends her and makes excuses - I know they say parents don't pick favourites but trust me, this is not the case with her little angel. She even tells me to stop being so dramatic if I bring it up with her.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I have to push my way into her life. It's SO embarassing every time someone asks "so what's your sister's bf like" and I have to tell them I haven't met him. Everyone knows how close we are and they are always really shocked. What can I do without being a total biatch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
Meet her for lunch - just the two of you and explain how you feel just as you have stated here and see what developes from there.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
Younger or older sister?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 PM

She's younger. We have discussed it on the phone before and it doesn't seem to get me anywhere, we always end up in a fight. She thinks I am being silly and makes me feel like the bad guy because she says she has had a lot on her plate and just hasn't gotten around to organising something for the 4 of us (me, her, both the bf's).

I am going to lunch with my mum today, should I give talking to her one last shot?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,397,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Every time I suggest dinner/drinks/get together, she comes up with some reason why it can't happen. About 5 months ago I added him on FB just to say hi and she absolutely freeeeeaked at me. It has gotten to a point where it is really starting to seriously hurt me, and it doesn't help that my mum constantly takes her side, defends her and makes excuses - I know they say parents don't pick favourites but trust me, this is not the case with her little angel. She even tells me to stop being so dramatic if I bring it up with her.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I have to push my way into her life. It's SO embarassing every time someone asks "so what's your sister's bf like" and I have to tell them I haven't met him. Everyone knows how close we are and they are always really shocked. What can I do without being a total biatch?

So your sister was only with this guy for 4 months when you "friended" him on FB? I think that was an aggressive move, especially since you hadn't even met him yet.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
My younger sister was very strong willed. A cute guy moved in next to my mom and she hadn't even met him and she said, "I'm going to marry that boy." Guess what? She did! I learned to try using reverse psychology on her. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Worth a try....

Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
You appear to be making all the wrong moves. You keep pushing her to meet him, knowing that she doesn't want you to. You added him to FB, knowing that she wouldn't want you to. What is your next move?

Perhaps you are giving her reason to be wary. Who knows.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Just as a "heads up", don't call him behind her back and ask for his help getting you all together.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Perhaps you are giving her reason to be wary. Who knows.

I would never do anything even close to that. I friended him on Facebook because I didn't see any other way that I was ever going to speak to him at that stage... and now look, 5 months later and still nothing. I know now that it probably wasn't the right thing to do, but my sis hadn't had a boyfriend in 10 years, since she was 18 in high school, and I was desperate to meet the man who was finally making her so happy!!!

As for my next move, I have no idea. What on earth more can I do??

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 04-07-2010 at 06:14 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post

I would never do anything even close to that. I friended him on Facebook because I didn't see any other way that I was ever going to speak to him at that stage... and now look, 5 months later and still nothing. I know now that it probably wasn't the right thing to do, but my sis hadn't had a boyfriend in 10 years, since she was 18 in high school, and I was desperate to meet the man who was finally making her so happy!!!

As for my next move, I have no idea. What on earth more can I do??
That made me lol.

Don't mean to offend, but what do you expect? She doesn't want you to meet him, but you seem keen to push her buttons and do everything to upset her. Why can't you just respect her wishes?

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 04-07-2010 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships