Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 PM

75 posts, read 589,510 times

Advertisements

Guys, if you were interested in a girl, and she rejected you because she said she was asexual and not interested in romance at all from anyone,

Would you believe her?

I realize that in either scenario, the fact is she is conveying that she doesn't want you in any romantic way.

But I want to know if I can believe such a statement that not desiring a partner is even possible if you are capable of reproducing (as far as I know, she is capable of making babies...)

I want to know if the asexual story should be viewed as a lie, which would make me angry when I hear such a thing...

or if it should be viewed as truth, which would make me a lot more understanding when situations like this does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay123 View Post
Guys, if you were interested in a girl, and she rejected you because she said she was asexual and not interested in romance at all from anyone
I would think it's generally another version of a gentle letdown, unless she's really going through something very important, disturbing, and distracting at the time.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,288,159 times
Quote:
But I want to know if I can believe such a statement that not desiring a partner is even possible if you are capable of reproducing (as far as I know, she is capable of making babies...)
I'm deleting my post to try to stem the inevitable well-spring of advice. I didn't post what I did so that other people could tell me how to fix myself, but I should have realized that would happen. I was just responding to the OP's earnest question with my own perspective.

Last edited by Niftybergin; 04-09-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Self-perpetuating, I guess, in that as time went on with minimal sexual activity, my already low libido just decreased even further.
Well, I believe that's how it is for most people when they're alone. It doesn't mean your drive can't and won't change if you find yourself in a satisfying relationship...

Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,005,634 times
Quote:
Guys, if you were interested in a girl, and she rejected you because she said she was asexual and not interested in romance at all from anyone,

Would you believe her?

I realize that in either scenario, the fact is she is conveying that she doesn't want you in any romantic way.

I want to know if the asexual story should be viewed as a lie, which would make me angry when I hear such a thing...

or if it should be viewed as truth, which would make me a lot more understanding when situations like this does happen.
I think that it's possible. Men have much stronger sexual urges than women. I know that sometimes I get really wrapped up in my work or one of my hobbies, and romance/sex can be the furthest thing from my mind for long periods of time. But with any boyfriend I've had, no matter how busy they get with other things, they are always in the mood for sex.

If she's ever been sexually or emotionally abused, then that could have turned her off permanently from romance and sex. Or she has hormonal issues. Or she's never had a decent boyfriend that has satisfied her sexually. Or she enjoys other activities a lot more than sex.

But I don't get why you'd be angry if she was lying to you. She's not interested in you romantically, so... so what? Would you be happier if she told you that she's looking for a romance but you didn't turn her on in any way?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,945,428 times
It's possible.. Being asexual and being interested in romance are two separate things though. For me, I do NOT want a bf, do not want marriage or kids. I'm 31 now and I KNOW I don't want kids. If I were to tell a guy that I want to be alone it's not an excuse, it's true. I believe that eventually I will get cheated or screwed over anyways so there's no point. I don't trust anyone and I will never ever let anyone have my heart again.

However, I'm not asexual. I have someone I see once in awhile sexually but he's not my bf. I'm still very sexual. I just don't ever want romance or marriage or a bf. I really want to be alone romance wise. For me, sex and love are completely different and completely separate.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 PM

75 posts, read 589,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that it's possible. Men have much stronger sexual urges than women. I know that sometimes I get really wrapped up in my work or one of my hobbies, and romance/sex can be the furthest thing from my mind for long periods of time. But with any boyfriend I've had, no matter how busy they get with other things, they are always in the mood for sex.

If she's ever been sexually or emotionally abused, then that could have turned her off permanently from romance and sex. Or she has hormonal issues. Or she's never had a decent boyfriend that has satisfied her sexually. Or she enjoys other activities a lot more than sex.

But I don't get why you'd be angry if she was lying to you. She's not interested in you romantically, so... so what? Would you be happier if she told you that she's looking for a romance but you didn't turn her on in any way?
I know this sounds strange, but I would be a lot happier with the direct truth. Being lied to, not just in these types of situations, but in any situation sucks.

If a girl directly told me "I'm just not interested in you, because it's you" that would feel ten times better than any type of lie excuse.

Okay maybe I wouldn't feel so angry, but the truth definitely feels better.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
For me personally, I think about sex numerous times a day. That doesn't mean I want romance though. I can have a very high sex drive and still not want a bf and really want to be alone. I have other venues of satisfying my needs which don't need to involve a relationship.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I know this sounds strange, but I would be a lot happier with the direct truth. Being lied to, not just in these types of situations, but in any situation sucks.

If a girl directly told me "I'm just not interested in you, because it's you" that would feel ten times better than any type of lie excuse.

If I tell a guy "I'm not interested in you because I just don't like men. I don't want to date ANYONE. I want to be left alone", its a 100 percent truth. It's not a lie, at least not for me. I mean it.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,415,062 times
Quote:

I think there are people - both men and women who are mostly asexual. Like anything it's a scale - some people are extremely sexual and getting it on with someone is always on their mind, then there are those who are on the other end of the scale who aren't into primarily sexual relationships. Also people can vary where they are on that scale through time and circumstances.

I suspect that this woman believes you want a sexual relationship with her and maybe not much else and she doesn't want it.

It can also be that she's got other things taking up her time at this point in her life and really doesn't want a relationship of any kind. At any point, it seems that she's telling you to move on, she probably isn't lying that she's not looking for sex or romance from any guy at least at this point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships