Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many of the 39% of the unmarried moms are using government subsidies to raise their child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 AM

494 posts, read 890,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
And what on Earth does THAT have to do with anything? What, any opportunity to try to bash Christians when being a Neanderthal actually transcends demographics?

For your information, it was the CHRISTIANS who fought against forcing women into arranged marriages and I actually posted a bit about this in a brief history of marriage that I linked. So, stop the snide remarks about Christians.
It has a lot to do with it. Religious fanaticism of all kinds is a bad thing for human rights and especially for the rights of women. I peg him as christian fundie of some sort because every time I hear words like his it's from some pompous looking prig surrounded by a dozen kids dressed exactly alike. He'll be spouting exactly the same garbage as morphous did, while his zombie children and dowdy wife with sad soulless eyes look on wordlessly. He'll go on and on about how he's the head of his household and how he's filling his quiver as god commands.

The bottom line is, women do not have to be subjugated for a marriage to be successful. Not only that, but marriage itself is not necessary for a relationship to be long and successful. And men who try to push women back into the days of silence and servitude are frankly disgusting.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,108 times
This has a lot to say why I don't think guys want to sign up:

Don’t Marry

Short version is they see their brothers, fathers, friends, and coworkers getting taken to the cleaners and don't want to take that kind of risk.

I think what Mopheus was getting at is something along the lines of this more than anything else:

Feminism’s Terrible Blunder « Don’t Marry

Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I recall nothing about happiness in my wedding vows. Marriage is not about happiness. It is about a partnership. Each person has strengths that edify the other. It is about good and bad. Wealth and poverty. Sickness and health.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
I think what Morphous01 was getting at is something along the lines of this more than anything else:

Feminism’s Terrible Blunder « Don’t Marry

Exactly! And obviously Nutz76, you got all A's in your reading comprehension classes.

"This is the great tragedy of feminism: The so-called women’s movement has encouraged women to get specialized education and pursue careers right out of school. Feminists have said over and over that women can succeed at any business endeavor a man can. THIS IS TRUE. But what makes this message so damaging: Saying it over and over to young women has distracted them from remembering (or realizing) that they have a tremendous comparative advantage over men. This comparative advantage is their ability to have children,
and it exists for only part of their lives.

If a woman doesn’t particularly want to bear children, fine. But almost all of the young women I meet do have a strong maternal instinct and say they definitely want kids. Why don’t they realize that their youth and ability to bear children are expiring assets? Why are they doing what you can do at any time (work in a business) during the only time they possess those valuable assets?"

Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Exactly! And obviously Nutz76, you got all A's in your reading comprehension classes.

"This is the great tragedy of feminism: The so-called women’s movement has encouraged women to get specialized education and pursue careers right out of school. Feminists have said over and over that women can succeed at any business endeavor a man can. THIS IS TRUE. But what makes this message so damaging: Saying it over and over to young women has distracted them from remembering (or realizing) that they have a tremendous comparative advantage over men. This comparative advantage is their ability to have children,
and it exists for only part of their lives.

If a woman doesn’t particularly want to bear children, fine. But almost all of the young women I meet do have a strong maternal instinct and say they definitely want kids. Why don’t they realize that their youth and ability to bear children are expiring assets? Why are they doing what you can do at any time (work in a business) during the only time they possess those valuable assets?"
Head shot!!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Yea, You can't have it all! You can't have an education, a great career, a wonderful husband/children, joy-filled home, etc. "Looks around at my life" Oh wait, yes you can. Never mind.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
It is commonplace for both couples to have a career, education and all that. But marriage needs understanding, love, and respect of each other make it all work.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 AM

622 posts, read 1,279,885 times
The fact is it has nothing to do with being religious or happy. The fact is that people are shallow, selfish, materialistic, money grabbing, sh*t heads for the most part now. You cant make someone else happy when your not. And people run around chasing titles and bullsh*t and act like they are happy cuz thats what the douche bags on MTV do. We live in a country or unoriginal, TV zombies that cant think for themselves. Thats why the divorce rate is what it is.

We have been force fed this Hollywood idealised version of love and romance abd when reality sets in we are disappointed. You mean my future wife hasnt waited her whole lives waiting and pining over me? What? She had sex with 20 guys in college? What? She made babies with someone else? What? She thinks about doing other guys? What? She can divorce me and love someone else? What?

Thats the reality. And I think young people become jaded when they realize that even if they dont know it. They feel like they are settling because they dont have the end of the movie romance for 30 years. So they chase that feelign again with someone else thinking it will last. And then again and again. You mean you have to work hard to stay in love? What?

But thats just the way I see it maybe.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I recall nothing about happiness in my wedding vows. Marriage is not about happiness. It is about a partnership. Each person has strengths that edify the other. It is about good and bad. Wealth and poverty. Sickness and health.
There's a quote I like from Anne Bancroft (I can't find it online, so I'll paraphrase) that something like "My husband doesn't always make me happy, but I can't imagine living my life without him." (Her husband was Mel Brooks.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships