Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:27 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,377 times

Advertisements

I've always been interested in learning how to sail and I believe this year will be the year I finally chase the curiosity bug. I found a rather large sailing enthusiasts group on meetup.com and from their description they seem eager to teach wide-eyed newbies like yours truly. Has anyone had any experience going to a group from meetup.com? The closest I've come to meeting anyone from offline was when I posted an add on a community website searching for a language teacher in high school. Should I just keep searching for a sailing school instead?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:38 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,517 times
While I have joined meetup, I haven't actually gone to any meet-ups...I'm kind of a chicken.

But based on the emails and such that I get I actually think it's a pretty popular site. I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. Going to a meeting or something once won't be the end of the world and may be more fun than school. Plus they almost always meet at public locations and often you can see how many people RSVP so you know you won't be the only one there.

If you are concerned about safety, I wouldn't be with that site. Just an observation though.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
I'm a meetup.com celebrity

Am part of many meetups in the Denver area. Am almost the gang leader for the South Asian 20-something professional network and other groups.

They always tell me when I come in, I light the whole place up like literally lighting a fire.

But mine are mostly food groups, chocolate groups, restaurants and other weird groups. It has helped me swell my networking by leaps and bounds. I almost have a mole in every line of work in Colorado. I just have to pick up the phone and they will execute the demands of the Godfather

Old 04-04-2010, 06:29 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,579 times
I belong to two running meetup groups in San Antonio. I joined the hiking one as well, but have only gone on one hike so far (too busy with the running groups). My running group has events about six days a week. I made quite a few good friends that way, nothing romantic but that's not why I joined anyway - there are a few couples though, who met through the group

I know some of my running friends also belong to a cooking group and they seem to enjoy that one as well.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,630 times
i just started looking at this site myself. might give a shot at a photography group or maybe something outdoors.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
I wasn't very impressed with the groups I had joined on Meetup. They were both singles groups but no one acted interested in trying to date anyone. They were just there purely for socializing.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I wasn't very impressed with the groups I had joined on Meetup. They were both singles groups but no one acted interested in trying to date anyone. They were just there purely for socializing.
It's not a dating site

Old 04-04-2010, 06:35 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I've always been interested in learning how to sail and I believe this year will be the year I finally chase the curiosity bug. I found a rather large sailing enthusiasts group on meetup.com and from their description they seem eager to teach wide-eyed newbies like yours truly. Has anyone had any experience going to a group from meetup.com? The closest I've come to meeting anyone from offline was when I posted an add on a community website searching for a language teacher in high school. Should I just keep searching for a sailing school instead?

Thoughts?
You could just find a rugged guy to teach you instead!LOL......

Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
An old friend of mine joined meetup for our city. She really liked it and made several friends. However, I should mention she was quite psycho.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,040 times
I joined various meetup groups when I moved to Indianapolis. So far it has been a mixed bag. Most people are generally nice but I found that it can be hard to make deep, sustaining, connections. I think the key is not having too high expectations and just looking at it as a venue to spend a few hours of your time. If you make a connection, great, if not, then at least have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships