Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:05 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
I believe u got my point I was trying to make ulike the first responder. I was trying to show a correlation between those that marry later having a better chance of success vs those who may marry earlier cause it was the next step to take in a relationship. "The Next Step" is a term I've never fully understood in dating terms, I mean as if there is a certain outline or manual for how we are to go about the dating/marrying process. But again I guess this is just another reason why there are so many external pressures and expectations on relationships these days.
Yeah I know with me being in a relative traditional Chinese culture, the idea is to get married ASAP. But this isn't 1910 anymore... its 2010 with different realities.

Like you I believe for the most part with people, as they get older they find out more about what they want and more about themselves. This leads to a greater understanding of what they are and are not willing to put up with.

As with the divorce rates and economy correlation, that points out to the fact on how much money is a factor in the success and failure of marriage...and its not to say just because you have a lot, that you'll stay together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
I've heard the same from several sources in the last 6 months. Fortunately there's a bill working it's way through congress, as well as several states, that will allow spouses to cohabitate and still be able to file for no-fault divorce. Currently the usually way the states go about it in no-fault cases is to live apart and not have sex for a year. The new laws would still have the no sex part, but you'd be able to live under the same roof at least to weather this financial storm until things pick back up. Seems reasonable too. Only question was whether or not there has to be some legal declaration at some point to initiate the year with the courts. In Maryland they call it a limited divorce, which is basically a legal separation, but currently the state still requires that separation. Haven't heard anything on the bills' progressions though.
What bill is this? I thought divorce was state by state and many states do not require a seperation period so there is no cohabitation restrictions.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 PM

337 posts, read 663,359 times
Most States have both the Cohabitation & No Sex stipulation w/ regards to getting Divorced. Why a bill would need to be passed on the Fed level is beyond me I'd like to see a link to that cause that one is a little hard to swallow, cause ultimately it's a State law something the Fed has little authority over.

Now unless it's refering to couples being allowed to live in the same household as a cohab couple and one being able to be added to the others benefits like a normal married couple can, that I think may actually be what is going thru the Fed.

Again please post link to this bill on marriage on the Fed level!!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Most States have both the Cohabitation & No Sex stipulation w/ regards to getting Divorced.
There have been cases where courts pretty much force divorcing couples to remain in the same home when children are involved thru a declaration that the home is the childs primary or default domicile therefore can not be removed from the home.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A story on NPR this morning noted that divorce rates typically go down during an economic recession, due to the cost of getting divorced. When the economy picks up, you see a spike in separations/divorces, apparently.
A man isn't worth divorcing when he has no job, no equity in his house and is up to his eyeballs in debt. I can imagine the judge saying to the woman "what are you going to contribute to clean up this mess?"

These really are difficult times for all!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What bill is this? I thought divorce was state by state and many states do not require a seperation period so there is no cohabitation restrictions.
Here's the one for Maryland:

No Sex For A Year Could Equal Divorce In Md. - Video - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/video/22381037/index.html - broken link)

Found out the federal one never made it out of committee so that's dead.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
Quote:
Found out the federal one never made it out of committee so that's dead.
Nice face-saving. More like, it never existed in the first place. Because it's common knowledge that the federal government doesn't have the power to regulate domestic relations or divorce law. You realize, Nutz, that when you make **** up, you undermine your own credibility?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Nice face-saving. More like, it never existed in the first place. Because it's common knowledge that the federal government doesn't have the power to regulate domestic relations or divorce law. You realize, Nutz, that when you make **** up, you undermine your own credibility?
That is exactly why I asked for proof on the bill, cause the Fed as u stated for starters can't regulate Divorce as it's an unconstitutional act, plus any laws on the books regarding divorce are all on State levels, and the Fed can't govern individ States.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
That is exactly why I asked for proof on the bill, cause the Fed as u stated for starters can't regulate Divorce as it's an unconstitutional act, plus any laws on the books regarding divorce are all on State levels, and the Fed can't govern individ States.
That's probably why it never made it out of committee, although the fed makes all kinds of laws that are unconstitutional and that congress has no business getting into *cough*national health care*cough*.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
That's probably why it never made it out of committee, although the fed makes all kinds of laws that are unconstitutional and that congress has no business getting into *cough*national health care*cough*.
Still haven't posted a link to the BS u posted, where's it at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships