Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

I don't really have a question to ask, just an observation to make.

There are a couple of current threads on this forum about early sexual activity and I happened upon something today which really saddened me no end. I was in one of our local supermarkets around noon today and there were unusually a few children walking around there in their school uniforms. I'd also seen some on the street so assume that one of the high schools for some reason let some of the kids out early for whatever reason.

These four young girls (maybe 15/16) were in a group and one of them was carrying her newborn baby in her arms. Little girl in her school uniform not even out of high school with a baby. She seemed perfectly comfortable, her little one was healthy and well-swaddled but the whole scenario just really touched me and also p***ed me off in so many ways. A few of these little ones make it but so many don't and I've seen the bad results of children raising children more than the good.

The bonding with a totally dependent newborn soon gives way to resentment as the baby gets older, it becomes an obstacle to the mother as she struggles to support it. More often than not the father drops out of the picture, the mother can't support the child on her own because she's only managed a basic education, the parents and grandparents support for a while because they did the same thing themselves - and so the cycle continues.

It happens all over, not just here. There really is something to be said for, if not encouraging your children to preserve their virginity for a while, at least educating them properly from an early age so that they understand the consequences of unprotected sexual activity.

Just a vent from an older inhabitant of this planet! and I would have kept it off this forum had there not been a couple of relevant threads started of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I hear you, but maybe that baby was the girl's little sister or niece?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
This happens to women of all ages. Not just teens. I think if there was more support and less shame the mother could ground herself and be fine no matter what the age. I have seen a couple friends who seemed really happy with that right out of highschool. It would of driven me crazy.

I don't think parents know what is proper info either. There was some poll and WOMEN got the info wrong on what was named what downstairs. It was something like 50%....And that who is teaching the kids?

Then they give their teens BC pills thinking that is going to be 100% and its not. I can't believe the amount of people that don't know that fails LT on its own.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
What irritates me is to visit or work in a high school and see a special area just for unwed mothers and their children. Why should tax payers be burdened with these costs? What does it say to the other kids?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
What irritates me is to visit or work in a high school and see a special area just for unwed mothers and their children. Why should tax payers be burdened with these costs? What does it say to the other kids?
It says, "Please stay in school."

Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
My own mother had my brother a month after her 16th birtday and myself less than a year later. My other brother 8 years later My parents stayed together until after I turned 18 and she went back to finish high school when she was in her mid 20's and also went on to college. I can say I was very lucky to live in the environment I did (both my parents were quite successful) as situations like this usual breed a bad environment to raise a child, and I also know it could not have been easy at all to be my parents. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Not one of us children had children at a young age so we dodged the statistic which is often seen of the next child bearing a child. At the age of 9 I was strapped with my little brother day in and day out because my mom was redoing an old house. In that regard I felt like I'd raised a kid and didn't have much interest in it later in life.

I give my mother a lot of credit in holding it together and raising semi-well adjusted kids at that age because I think it is rare. We all went to college, we all have successful careers and personal lives and I often reflect on what she gave up in life in order for us to have all this.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't really have a question to ask, just an observation to make.

There are a couple of current threads on this forum about early sexual activity and I happened upon something today which really saddened me no end. I was in one of our local supermarkets around noon today and there were unusually a few children walking around there in their school uniforms. I'd also seen some on the street so assume that one of the high schools for some reason let some of the kids out early for whatever reason.

These four young girls (maybe 15/16) were in a group and one of them was carrying her newborn baby in her arms. Little girl in her school uniform not even out of high school with a baby. She seemed perfectly comfortable, her little one was healthy and well-swaddled but the whole scenario just really touched me and also p***ed me off in so many ways. A few of these little ones make it but so many don't and I've seen the bad results of children raising children more than the good.

The bonding with a totally dependent newborn soon gives way to resentment as the baby gets older, it becomes an obstacle to the mother as she struggles to support it. More often than not the father drops out of the picture, the mother can't support the child on her own because she's only managed a basic education, the parents and grandparents support for a while because they did the same thing themselves - and so the cycle continues.

It happens all over, not just here. There really is something to be said for, if not encouraging your children to preserve their virginity for a while, at least educating them properly from an early age so that they understand the consequences of unprotected sexual activity.

Just a vent from an older inhabitant of this planet! and I would have kept it off this forum had there not been a couple of relevant threads started of late.
Women should have babies when they are young, and I have no issue with young women having babies. As a matter of fact, it's always been this way, up until recently, because in the past, the average lifespan was very short.

Anyway, the issue is we have a LABOR SYSTEM that is not congruent with human biology. It's just a fact, young men and women will be having sex (irrespective of reprimands) due to the peak levels of hormones that surge through their blood from ages 16-24. And this is in combination with the fact that a 16-24 year old can't think as critically as a 40 year old.

So the real question is, why don't we teach young people REAL solid skills that they can take immediately to the streets and earn a decent living? Why does the US dollar come up so extremely short? Why is it so astronomy expensive to go to school?

See, it's easy to blame the children, or their parents, but the real blame goes to the people who run the IMF, World Bank, and other regulatory agencies who set things up in such a way that we are all modern surfs on our own land!

Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
And you'd rather they drop out of school and let your tax dollars pay for welfare - a system people rarely get out of once they are in it?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
It says:

"You are part of a community. You are needing help because you are trying to do more than you can handle alone. Someday you will have to put back into this community to help those like you. Best wishes for success."

Being that you are part of this community what you are getting is a child less likely to have to turn to less than ethical works for support. Mother and child. People do improve with school and support. Prison system does not have a great record. You will pay now or later. Take your pick.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I hear you, but maybe that baby was the girl's little sister or niece?
A placating thought but I very, very much doubt it given the whole scenario. There was no adult in sight and it was a newborn and, how can I say this but she wasn't goo-gooing over the infant as if it were a sibling or a relative, was holding it as if it were her own. My guess was that she was let out of school early, picked up her baby from her Mum or Grandmum and went out shopping with her girlfriends with baby in tow because she had some extra time to spend with him or her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships