Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:59 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,294,390 times

Advertisements

How do we survive?

Well, we don't need a lot of room and we like being near each other. And we go outside at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 02:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,911,286 times
We lived in a studio for a while. We were so into each other it didn't matter. It was only really a bedroom with a kitchenette and bath. We were very happy there. It taught us quickly that we could live together well.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,315,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I own a 900 sqft house and honestly don't know what to do with all of the space. It is a city townhouse, so it has three floors. I rarely use the top two floors. I actually semi-regret not buying a smaller condo instead of a townhouse. I don't see what people do with more space. Other than sleeping, we NEVER use more than the bottom floor. We are completely happy with the 360sqft bottom floor of the house for everything from cooking to watching TV to reading to playing with the dog. A person can only use about 2 square feet of space at once!
I live alone in a 1800 sqft house. When ever I bring a chick home usually a comment of "you live here in this big house alone?", although what is big is subjective. I have one room dedicated as a guitar room, if I were commited to a woman it would be my "man cave".

Granted it is more space than I need, but it is nice to feel roomy, and resale value helps with a larger house. Of course it is more upkeep,,,,,all by myself. I hardly have furniture, but in time I'll add it. But I'll hardly use a dining table set anyway.

Besides, around here a 900sqft house means a bad area, and I wasn't gonna do that or a townhouse were my noise or theirs might pester.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,157,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I live alone in a 1800 sqft house. When ever I bring a chick home usually a comment of "you live here in this big house alone?", although what is big is subjective. I have one room dedicated as a guitar room, if I were commited to a woman it would be my "man cave".

Granted it is more space than I need, but it is nice to feel roomy, and resale value helps with a larger house. Of course it is more upkeep,,,,,all by myself. I hardly have furniture, but in time I'll add it. But I'll hardly use a dining table set anyway.

Besides, around here a 900sqft house means a bad area, and I wasn't gonna do that or a townhouse were my noise or theirs might pester.
I know it is just a different mindset...I have lived in a city since being out on my own. I enjoy smaller spaces, I don't like having more than I need.

Space aside, my current house doesn't have parking, so it would be nice to have a parking space (or garage if I had that much cash!)

You suburban people are spoiled

Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,315,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I know it is just a different mindset...I have lived in a city since being out on my own. I enjoy smaller spaces, I don't like having more than I need.

Space aside, my current house doesn't have parking, so it would be nice to have a parking space (or garage if I had that much cash!)

You suburban people are spoiled
Well my house would be nicely furnished already except for the fact that when I have $1000 in my hand I keep buying guitars and art instead of furniture. That and teeth and the car breaking and stuff. $800 for a new crown... I litterly use the box that my microwave came in as my temporary night stand.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well my house would be nicely furnished already except for the fact that when I have $1000 in my hand I keep buying guitars and art instead of furniture. That and teeth and the car breaking and stuff. $800 for a new crown... I litterly use the box that my microwave came in as my temporary night stand.
lol...I know what you mean. I use a TV I found on the side of the street, and it is sitting on a tray table right now. I end up spending any extra money on bikes and my dog rather than furniture..

Old 04-16-2010, 08:53 AM

115 posts, read 273,001 times
LOL i have to laugh because for more than a year my parents, three kids, and three dogs lived in a 900sqft trailer. it had two bedrooms, and all of us kids slept in the same bed....and the other two constantly wet the bed! The double bed barely fit, we had built a built in closet and dresser, and there was a tiny minuscule bathroom that one skinny child barely fit into. It was tight, let me tell you!

Now we(dh, two ds, and 2 dogs) live in a 1200 sq ft house with a huge yard. We have three bedrooms and two baths, the garage is too small for my van. The kids complain about how small their rooms are, and that they need a "play room" for all their stuff. LOL A little more room would be nice, but the kids will both be out of the house in four years, so then this will be too big.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 AM

People, for the most part, have way too much stuff.

Once per year I throw away/sell/donate anything I haven't used in 12 months. You would be amazed how much stuff is just sitting around taking up space in your house.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,740,824 times
Our apartment is 650 sq ft and sometimes it is annoyingly small. If we had a larger one bedroom apartment, I'd be fine. I don't think it's so much the extra bedroom which matters as it is the overall space of the apartment. I don't mind being in such close proximity to my husband all the time but having to share clothing space with him is annoying - I would love a walk in closest... but doesn't every woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships