Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
A friend of mine's husband has his entire garage converted into a model train and AF/X electronic car racing funhouse. I think its totally awesome, but she thinks its a waste of space and childlike. The guy must have $20,000 to $35,000 worth of stuff in there. Im not a big train fan, but I love the G-Plus AFX cars he has.
Those huge model train set ups are very cool! I don't see a problem with that either. Not sure exactly what the car thing is. Will have to Google that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
That's what I was thinking. I was thinking it was an attempt to glamorize something thousands of people do anyway ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think a niche hobby is just a swanky term for 'my hobby is more exclusive and interesting than your hobby'

Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Obviously you live in a different state, because here in Vermont there are plenty of women young and older who enjoy quite a few activities on your list. Snowboarding, skiing, hiking, biking, you name it they love doing it.
That's what I said. Even older women walk, bike, ski and so on here in Vermont.
I have seen old, old men and women jogging. In other states they'd be laid up in bed or couch potatoes.

The OP needs to come to Vermont w/his hobbies..

And put me on the list with everyone else who is annoyed that 'women don't have real hobbies.' Please....my hobbies iz better than yours.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Stereotypes are what a lot of people are comfortable with. I run into this, too. If you have a strong opinion or a strong interest in something, people think you're wierd because they aren't serious about anything. They're just floating through life trying to do the easiest things possible, never taking anything seriously. They are boring. It's not worth it a relationship (friendship or romantic) with them to try to explain why you're so "crazy" about a particular hobby or issue. And it's impossible.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I think a niche hobby is just a swanky term for 'my hobby is more exclusive and interesting than your hobby'

No that isn't what he means because his thinking is that it isn't wierd. Some people just seem to think it is. So how is that trying to be more interesting, swanky. or exclusive than other hobbies?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I wouldn't think your hobbies would bother any woman, unless you spend all of your money on those hobbies. The only hobby (and you can't call it a hobby)that would bother me, and probably some women, is the fact that your are a vegaterian. In my opinion there is something just a little weird (for want of a better word) about a person who doesn't eat meat. I don't think anyone is smart enough to know what animals are thinking just before they are killed. So, to call it inhumane kind of conveys your level of intelligence, because you don't know if it is inhumane or not. If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat. He wouldn't have made them so darn tasty. Stop reading the Humane Society's propaganda, they have an agenda.
hahaha He's unintelligent because he's a vegetarian and your proof for that is an ironic t-shirt saying "if god didnt want us to eat animals, they why are they made of meat?" or tasty or whatever. That seems pretty darn unintelligent to me.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So, why aren't scrapbooking and knitting hobbies?
Because MindFu says so!

Quote:
They are hobbies, but with this question be posted in the "RELATIONSHIP" forum, its pretty safe to assume that the lonely old cat ladies who are into those hobbies are not interested in relationships. Well, maybe they are interested in hanging out with other old ladies so they can talk about their grand and great-grandchildren.

I dont know of, and have never met any women in her 20s or 30s into those things. Well, unless they are the type who are unable to actually get/find a man (you know, ugly or fat or sickly).
Really?! I know somebody in her early 30s who's really into scrapbooking. She was into it in her 20s, too. Happens to have a husband and 2 beautiful children. Another one in her late 30s quilts. Happens to have a live-in BF. He IS worthless, but that's beside the point.

Quote:
A friend of mine's husband has his entire garage converted into a model train and AF/X electronic car racing funhouse. I think its totally awesome, but she thinks its a waste of space and childlike. The guy must have $20,000 to $35,000 worth of stuff in there. Im not a big train fan, but I love the G-Plus AFX cars he has.
Not that I have anything against trains per se, but he better have at least one more garage where I can park (he can park on the street for all I care; hey, enjoy your hobby!) and 35K better be small change for him.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not that I have anything against trains per se, but he better have at least one more garage where I can park (he can park on the street for all I care; hey, enjoy your hobby!) and 35K better be small change for him.
LOL. I actually cant think of anyone who uses their garage for their cars. We park our cars outside in the driveway (can fit 4 cars in my driveway with two side by side). My garage is reserved for my hobby - its my Martial Arts Dojo/Kwoon and workout area.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
LOL. I actually cant think of anyone who uses their garage for their cars.
Imagine a place where it snows. Now imagine people living there.

There you go!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
I use my garage for my car, now that I have a double garage. I have a house to myself for al the other crap. Which actually most of the house is basically empty except my guitar room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships