Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
You are basically confirming what I pointed out. His choice of words wasn't "undiplomatic" -- it was antisemitic and misogynistic. And since his comment combines those two characteristics, it's apparently socially acceptable. As to his personal experiences: since I myself am Jewish, I know what I am talking about. Antisemitism and particularly the stereotype that Jews are materialistic and money-grubbing puts some Jews (especially young ones) under extreme pressure to prove that they don't fit that stereotype. One way to go about it is to embrace antisemitism, and a variation of that is to channel that antisemitism towards a subgroup. Given the undercurrent of misogyny in our society, women are an attractive choice for such a subgroup. In other words, what he is saying is: "Yeah, Jews seem like pigs, but it's because of the broads! Not all Jews love money, just Jewish women!"
Redisca, I'm not going to argue with a Jew about anti-Semitism, but I will say that "blablaboo," if honest about himself being Jewish, is simply disgusted at the sheer materialism and shallowness displayed by women who are Jews as he is a Jew.

You may disagree with the following, but one thing I've noticed in diaspora communities is that people of younger generations often are far more critical of their own communities than of others for the very simple reason that they have often grown up in, and hence greatly exposed, to other members of their communities. I'm a member of a diaspora community myself and I tend at times to be far more critical of my own than I am of others even when the "others" are also guilty of behaviors I dislike.

Now, I do not know whether "blablaboo" is a self-hating Jew. I don't even know if he is indeed a Jew. But he is, IMO, referring to these women - who happen to be Jewish - as materialistic "pigs." I don't find his comments offensive as you did, but not because I approve of the use of animals to qualify other people. Rather, I view his disgust at their extreme materialism as the reason that he resorted to the word "pigs."

I myself am not even offended when some women refer to two-timing, whoremongering men as "dogs." Because I see that it's not a blanket statement to all men on Earth. They have met such met, were disappointed, and feel that there are many men who are capable of such behavior, or have been guilty thereof.

Quote:
In other words, what he is saying is: "Yeah, Jews seem like pigs, but it's because of the broads! Not all Jews love money, just Jewish women!"
The stereotype you speak of re: moneygrubbing is one I've also heard of, but I've never once seen it in writing, in speech, etc., singling out Jewish women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 01:43 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
Again -- how is this proof, that Jewish women are spoiled and privileged compared to everyone else?
who said that? I never did. I'm talking about women in Manhattan. Not Jewish women.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
You do nevertheless agree that Manhattan has a highly disproportionate number of extremely privileged people -- I mean, compared to, say, Brooklyn or Queens? And that many of those people are men? And Gentiles?
Just as you'd agree that your statement that virtually all Manhattanites sans Harlem are extremely privileged wasn't really correct.

There are very well-off men who are both Jews and not Jews in the 5 boroughs of NYC and its surrounding regions - certainly you've heard of if not been to Nassau and Suffolk Counties and to some of the New Jersey counties right by the Hudson River and to New York counties immediately above these counties. Jews with money abound AS do non-Jews who are extremely well off. Take a stroll in Tenafly, NJ or Old Tappan, NJ on a weekend this spring or summer if you ever care to. And MANY of these people, many of whom are old money or successful professionals, are also WOMEN.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Excuse me? I was QUOTING someone in the comments section of the NY Post article who called Jewish women "pigs." You may wish to read carefully before writing.
I really don't care about you or for you either way. My point is that it isn't normal to call Jewish women "pigs" - it's aberrant behavior which shouldn't be viewed as normal.

Next time use quotes. Oh, and next time don't find calling jewish women "pigs" funny. Oh excuse me, you actually found it "hysterical."

Quote:
It's not the first time I see it thrown about.
It doesn't mean it's normal; to ascribe it to the general population by saying it's what "people" say normalizes it. It's F'd up.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I really don't care about you or for you either way. My point is that it isn't normal to call Jewish women "pigs" - it's aberrant behavior which shouldn't be viewed as normal.

Next time use quotes. Oh, and next time don't find calling jewish women "pigs" funny. Oh excuse me, you actually found it "hysterical."
What was that term coined here? Oh yes, "indignation brigade." Here's a trooper!

Redisca is at least Jewish herself, so I can see her angst.

Next time, read carefully.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:55 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Redisca, I'm not going to argue with a Jew about anti-Semitism, but I will say that "blablaboo," if honest about himself being Jewish, is simply disgusted at the sheer materialism and shallowness displayed by women who are Jews as he is a Jew.
That's hardly a justification for him to declare that Jewish women are pigs. Is his mother a pig? If so, "blablaboo"'s behavior is not surprising.

Quote:
Now, I do not know whether "blablaboo" is a self-hating Jew. I don't even know if he is indeed a Jew. But he is, IMO, referring to these women - who happen to be Jewish - as materialistic "pigs." I don't find his comments offensive as you did, but not because I approve of the use of animals to qualify other people. Rather, I view his disgust at their extreme materialism as the reason that he resorted to the word "pigs."
He didn't say that these women are pigs -- he said New York Jewish women are pigs. And there is simply no justification for that.

Quote:
I myself am not even offended when some women refer to two-timing, whoremongering men as "dogs." Because I see that it's not a blanket statement to all men on Earth. They have met such met, were disappointed, and feel that there are many men who are capable of such behavior, or have been guilty thereof.
If they said that two-timing whoremongering men are dogs, that would be one thing. However, if they said that these two-timing whoremongering men are "typical", that would be an indictment of all men.

Quote:
The stereotype you speak of re: moneygrubbing is one I've also heard of, but I've never once seen it in writing, in speech, etc., singling out Jewish women.
Oh, no? Well, take a look at this. Not only that, but the stereotype of a Jewish woman as a materialistic, insufferable "pig" has been successfully used as a defense to a murder charge. Seriously. What happened to the victim in that case -- that's the logical result of what people like this "blablabloo" are doing.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
What was that term coined here? Oh yes, "indignation brigade." Here's a trooper!

Redisca is at least Jewish herself, so I can see her angst.

Next time, read carefully.
Nice try. Let's review what you quoted, and how you responded again:

Quote:

If you'll look at the women pictured ("Kadish" and "Haddad"), you'll see these are your typical disgusting, spoiled, butter faced New York Jewish women. I am 34, Jewish and not married because I refuse to go near these "ladies". It's all about money money money with these awful people. And I don't do too badly myself, but these pigs think that because they have hole, they're entitled to have a life spent with shopping, nannies, and vacations. Not only do other women have holes, these pigs take a serious turn for the worse in looks once they hit 30.

Politically incorrect, but absolutely hysterical.
I don't have to be Jewish to say that this level of racism isn't politically incorrect yet hysterical. It's disgusting, it is unacceptable, and that's the end of it.

I'll bet you like to forward those racist Obama photoshop emails as being "politically incorrect but absolutely hysterical."

People who aren't bigots don't look the other way just because it's not their own race/religion/ethnicity being targeted.

Let me repeat that for you in red:

People who aren't bigots don't look the other way just because it's not their own race/religion/ethnicity being targeted.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
There are very well-off men who are both Jews and not Jews in the 5 boroughs of NYC and its surrounding regions - certainly you've heard of if not been to Nassau and Suffolk Counties and to some of the New Jersey counties right by the Hudson River and to New York counties immediately above these counties. Jews with money abound AS do non-Jews who are extremely well off. Take a stroll in Tenafly, NJ or Old Tappan, NJ on a weekend this spring or summer if you ever care to. And MANY of these people, many of whom are old money or successful professionals, are also WOMEN.
Once again -- why is it okay for Gentiles or Jewish men to be privileged and high-maintenance, but not for Jewish women?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
You are basically confirming what I pointed out. His choice of words wasn't "undiplomatic" -- it was antisemitic and misogynistic. And since his comment combines those two characteristics, it's apparently socially acceptable. As to his personal experiences: since I myself am Jewish, I know what I am talking about. Antisemitism and particularly the stereotype that Jews are materialistic and money-grubbing puts some Jews (especially young ones) under extreme pressure to prove that they don't fit that stereotype. One way to go about it is to embrace antisemitism, and a variation of that is to channel that antisemitism towards a subgroup. Given the undercurrent of misogyny in our society, women are an attractive choice for such a subgroup. In other words, what he is saying is: "Yeah, Jews seem like pigs, but it's because of the broads! Not all Jews love money, just Jewish women!"
Now that's not true, I've dated Jewish women, it's more about the good times.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That's hardly a justification for him to declare that Jewish women are pigs. Is his mother a pig? If so, "blablaboo"'s behavior is not surprising.
Never said it was "justified."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca;13755547He didn't say that [I
these[/i] women are pigs -- he said New York Jewish women are pigs. And there is simply no justification for that.
Again, I never said it was justified. My comments on the behaviors of some within diaspora communities were aimed at explaining why he singled out "New York Jewish women" given he almost certainly met many throughout his life if he is indeed Jewish, grew up in the area, and met many other people from Jewish families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca;13755547If they said that two-timing whoremongering men are dogs, that would be one thing. However, if they said that these two-timing whoremongering men are "typical", that would be an indictment of [I
all[/i] men.
And that's why I said it'd be a blanket statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca;13755547Oh, no? Well, take a look at [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_american_princess#Sexism_and_violence"
this[/url]. Not only that, but the stereotype of a Jewish woman as a materialistic, insufferable "pig" has been successfully used as a defense to a murder charge. Seriously. What happened to the victim in that case -- that's the logical result of what people like this "blablabloo" are doing.
The NY Times blurb's story is indeed tragic, and I'm very sorry that this woman perished in this manner, and it's a travesty of justice her husband was acquitted.

As for the "***" slur, I did hear it in high school but I thought it was more of a reference about teenage women being snotty and bratty- not necessarily about them being "moneygrubbers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships