Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 PM

20,717 posts, read 19,360,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
How come there are so few male nurses?

Anyway, as to lawyers -- I don't know any male lawyers married to paralegals. Most are married to other lawyers, doctors, or other professionals. Furthermore, as someone who defends doctors and nurses on a regular basis, I have never met a doctor who is married to a nurse; or a nurse who is married to a doctor. At this point, I conclude that this commonly held "wisdom" that one way for a girl to marry a doctor or a lawyer is to become a nurse or a paralegal, respectively, is simply a myth.
Hi Redisca,

That observation is skewed to those seeking divorce. So its not a good metric. If anything, it could mean that the reason you see it more commonly is because those marriages are not as successful.

Women M.B.A.s More Likely To Divorce Than Men - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Redisca,

That observation is skewed to those seeking divorce. So its not a good metric. If anything, it could mean that the reason you see it more commonly is because those marriages are not as successful.
I am not a divorce lawyer, gwynedd I am a medmal defense lawyer. So it's a total miss on your part. Nice try, though.

I know these things from interacting with lots of lawyers and health professionals on a daily basis. The overwhelming majority of them are happily married. In fact, I can think of only four lawyers off the top of my head who either have gotten, or are going through a divorce. Only one was married to a lawyer. The others were married to a school teacher, a cook and a mail-order bride, respectively.

Last edited by Redisca; 04-16-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 02:28 PM

20,717 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
I am not a divorce lawyer, gwynedd But I know these things from interacting with lots of lawyers and health professionals on a daily basis. The overwhelming majority of them are happily married. In fact, I can think off only four lawyers of the top of my head who either have gotten, or are going through a divorce. Only one was married to a lawyer. The others were married to a school teacher, a cook and a mail-order bride, respectively. Nice try, however.

Hi Redisca,

I wasn't trying anything. I am simply displaying what anecdotal evidence is usually worth. Though since you are not a divorce lawyer, its not quite as poor as skewed anecdotal evidence.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I am simply displaying what anecdotal evidence is usually worth. Though since you are not a divorce lawyer, its not quite as poor as skewed anecdotal evidence.
And what kind of evidence is the OP based on?

Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
You are looking for a job as a paralegal?

He is so confused, lol, maybe you can straighten him out!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
He is so confused, lol, maybe you can straighten him out!
I'm just curious why he is scanning the internet for paralegal jobs.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
no. If you even look on usajobs, it will state the federal paralegals need a college degree. All lawfirms only hire people with college degrees to be paralegals as well.
uh, dude, maybe this is true in D.C. where EVERYBODY wants to scamble to the top, but in the vast majority of the country a paralegal just wants to be a paralegal. They attend a paralegal school, or program offered by a university, and receive a diploma after about a year of study. It can be a nice living depending on where you live. I have a friend who makes about $50,000 a year as a real estate paralegal.

You yourself used the word "federal" paralegals - like the kind you're seeing in D.C. You just have to remember that's in D.C. - a tiny fraction of the paralegals in the whole nation.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I'm just curious why he is scanning the internet for paralegal jobs.

It takes his mind off of all his angst at not being able to find a woman

Old 04-16-2010, 02:48 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Dude, in general, women marry guys with a higher level of qualifications than their own - men anymore tend to look for someone close to their own level as well, if for no other reason than if (when) divorce comes, they don't look so "dependent".

That and why marry a nurse if there are eligible female doctors available?
Women want to marry men who are both better looking and higher income than they are. They hold nearly all the cards in this endeavour.

Men hope to marry an equal but usually find they need to settle for much less since they hold virtually no cards.

Nobody is happy with this anymore. That's why parties are held for them when they divorce.

Once a person understands this paradigm, there is no need to look at and question every pairing of professions and employees since they can now apply the general theory.

And yes, I am aware that there are some of you who don't fit in to the scheme of things. Keep it a secret.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:50 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
betamanlet, if it makes you feel better:

there's a female MD on my street and her husband is a stay-at-home dad. I believe they have 5-6 kids and seem happily married.

The female CPA across the street is married to a builder (he has no degree, started out in the trades and eventually built a company.)

The female engineer down the road is married to a cop.

And the female marketing exec around the corner is married to an electrician.

It does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships