Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM

146 posts, read 371,156 times

Advertisements

If the guy i was seeing told me from the beginning that marriage isnt one of his goals then that wouldn't stop me from seeing him. I would know that its a relationship that eventually will have an ending and will enjoy the relationship while it lasts. Some women i know wont even date guys who think like you as they think there is no "longterm" commitment so what is the point. But i personally don't believe every guy you date is going to be the one. You can enjoy relationships for other reasons other than marriage. I think marriage is put on a pedestal when it comes to most women, which scares men like you. I think if your honest from the beginning and make sure she is aware of your wants from the get go then it will be fine, cause then she wont get all emotional/in love with you and stuff. There is seriously nothing worse than to see a guy for a while, have those feelings develop and then be told that the longterm commitment is out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 PM

1,006 posts, read 734,823 times
I'm kind of the same wasy as the OP. I'm 26, don't have a desire to get married and I do not want kids (had a vasectomy a few weeks ago). The girl I was dating up until today (lol) stated she had no problem and felt the same way (she is 32), but then began to act strange etc.....There are women who feel as we do and they are out there but few and far between.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
I don't look at not getting married as eventually breaking up, I just look at it as never getting married. You can get married and still break up too.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
I see several people saying you're headed for problems and need to break up. They're probably right, as marriage is a large issue for you to be differing on....but, I'm not here to just ditto everyone else. I'm wondering about your actual question. You didn't ask us about your relationship; you asked if other women are out there who don't want to marry. Yes, there are quite a few, but they don't advertise it or wear signs, both because there's no reason to do so, and also because society is FAR less accepting of single women than of single men.

But, so what if they're out there? I'm afraid I don't see the correlation between your question and the reason you give for asking it.

Are you doing a statistical study?

You already have a girlfriend, so are you hoping to meet another woman online who doesn't want to marry, so you can then dump your girlfriend for that one? ....that likelihood is doubtful since the odds that the other women will be near enough to you, AND will also want to date you are slim. Or, are you not really asking a question, but just wanting to vent? The truth, as I've found it to be in my experiences with men over many years, is that they want to be married JUST AS MUCH as women do. It's only when they're with a woman who doesn't need them that they become fearful, and in need of finding a way to secure their place in her life.

But if you've made it clear, as you say you have, and she's made it clear, as you say she has, and you both have such opposite views of an important issue, then it seems you're BOTH waiting for the other one to change.....or, as is more common in our society, you're waiting to meet someone better, who you can date on the side until you're sure you like her better, then you'll break up with your girlfriend. I'm not saying this out of bitterness; it hasn't happened to me, but I've seen it happen many times to others, and they're always blindsided.

If you want your freedom, that's fine, but are you just as willing to let her have hers?

If so, then suggest to her that you each date other people, and see where it goes. That usually resolves the issue, one way or another.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I ask because I don't really ever want to get married. I've made this well known to my gf who says she wants to eventually get married.
The obvious possibility is for you two to part ways.
Or to enjoy each other until either the parting becomes unavoidable or the rare chance that one of you changes your mind.

It is wise that you both are honest about what you want.
Makes things simpler.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda_1988 View Post
If the guy i was seeing told me from the beginning that marriage isnt one of his goals then that wouldn't stop me from seeing him. I would know that its a relationship that eventually will have an ending and will enjoy the relationship while it lasts. Some women i know wont even date guys who think like you as they think there is no "longterm" commitment so what is the point. But i personally don't believe every guy you date is going to be the one. You can enjoy relationships for other reasons other than marriage. I think marriage is put on a pedestal when it comes to most women, which scares men like you. I think if your honest from the beginning and make sure she is aware of your wants from the get go then it will be fine, cause then she wont get all emotional/in love with you and stuff. There is seriously nothing worse than to see a guy for a while, have those feelings develop and then be told that the longterm commitment is out of the question.
Hulk like Brenda.
Hulk no smash tonight.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:03 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I ask because I don't really ever want to get married. I've made this well known to my gf who says she wants to eventually get married.

Marriage is for women who want to snag the man she loves to make sure he doesn't get away. It used to be the opposite, but with pre-marital sex now, men don't need to snag women to keep her.

Marriage is law enforcement to sustain a relationship between a man and woman. It is nothing else but that. Any romantic notions of marriage end after the wedding day and honeymoon. Cinderella fairytales keep the fantasy of marriage alive in society, mainly for women, but it is just a fairytale. Just asked those who divorced.

It's tricky for you because a woman can tell you she doesn't need to be married, but after many yrs together, she may change her mind.

Ask married men why they proprosed. Most of them say it's because if they don't, they'll lose their girlfriends. There are very few men who even want to be married, and the ones that do, do so at gunpoint.

A woman who is 100% comfortable with herself, does not comform to society's rules and pressure WHATSOEVER, is original, is her own thinker and a free spirit, is self-made and knows how to be happy, is really the only type of woman who is okay without marriage. And therefore, the only type of woman you should be with.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
A woman who is 100% comfortable with herself, does not comform to society's rules and pressure WHATSOEVER, is original, is her own thinker and a free spirit, is self-made and knows how to be happy, is really the only type of woman who is okay without marriage. And therefore, the only type of woman you should be with.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am reading this to mean that you believe that a free-thinking, nonconformist, free spirit of a woman cannot be married. In other words, she has to conform to your ideals in order to be a nonconformist. Seems paradoxical to me.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Marriage is for women who want to snag the man she loves to make sure he doesn't get away. It used to be the opposite, but with pre-marital sex now, men don't need to snag women to keep her.

Marriage is law enforcement to sustain a relationship between a man and woman. It is nothing else but that. Any romantic notions of marriage end after the wedding day and honeymoon. Cinderella fairytales keep the fantasy of marriage alive in society, mainly for women, but it is just a fairytale. Just asked those who divorced.

It's tricky for you because a woman can tell you she doesn't need to be married, but after many yrs together, she may change her mind.

Ask married men why they proprosed. Most of them say it's because if they don't, they'll lose their girlfriends. There are very few men who even want to be married, and the ones that do, do so at gunpoint.

Actually...I know many many married couples (including my parents, and my boyfriends parents) who are perfectly content and happy with being married. It's not just a 'woman's fairytale', some couples honestly and truly want to be married.

I, fact, my best friend's boyfriend has been BEGGING her to get married for going on 7 years now...and she doesn't want to yet. My boyfriend has asked me to marry him multiple times in the last few years and I've told him 'maybe'. He's the one who wants to get married, not me.

If we ever decide to have kids (which he wants, and I don't) we will get married... or when he goes into the Air Force officially we'll get married as well.

Not all relationships are the same

Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I am one of the rare ones who do not want to get married at all. Too much headaches and BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships