Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
He's just biding his time until someone better comes along. Have some dignity and leave.
I agree.

Once a man loses respect for you it's almost impossible to get it back.

As NY Annie said, finding other interests and getting some therapy will help you move on. Addressing some of the reasons why you are so clingy and needy will help you to break the pattern for your next relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
He said that he doesn`t want to try anymore, yet you both are still sleeping together? Hell, he`s got it made.
Meh...I would just back off, and this means in the bedroom as well.
It doesn`t sound like there is much you can do at this point.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
It is time for both of you to move on. Take some time for yourself, develop interests, make some new friends, take a class, and just do things that you want to do that do not remind you of him. It will take a while, but you will be happier. You really don't want to try to make him stay with you when the relationship is over for him. In fact, I would cut all contact with him immediately, and if you can, take a short vacation to clear your mind and set a new path for yourself.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
He broke off the relationship because of your smothering and you're still not willing to give him space. You are smothering him. Your smothering, clingy, neediness is driving him further and further away. If you continue, at some point, he won't even want to be friends.

Time to get:
1. Therapy
2. Outside interests

There's an old saw that says: if you love someone, set him free. If he returns, it was meant to be.

Let go.
Especially the bolded... You need to work on your self-esteem. If you can't respect yourself, how do you expect him to respect you?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergirl1 View Post
My boyfriend and I broke up for a day, I left and asked to return 1 day later. He said we could try to make it work. Since then, we have fought (this was 2 1/2 weeks ago) some days and gotten along well others. He says he doesnt want to try anymore but we can continue living together and be together as in not seeing other people, but he really doesnt want to go all out and be the good boyfriend he used to be- calling and checking in & such. (I smothered him, this is why we broke up, it was a mutual breakup for 1 day) I dont mind this as I do trust him and he is a homebody for the most part. He seems to want to block me, I know he loves me, he wont admit it , but wont deny it either. I know he cares about me. He just thinks love is not enough, our personalities (my smothering and neediness) dont mesh. I, of course, disagree. Being that he is a somewhat indecisive person, how can I get him to see us differently and be more open to me again? Any suggestions, please. I want to keep trying. Thank you. We have been spending more time in seperate rooms (do not sleep in seperate rooms) and this has seemed to help, he does his thing, I do mine, then we hang out , just not 24 7 though we're both usually home (except for work, of course) thank you again.

Instead of wasting your time beating this dead horse you should be moving out and learning to live on your own.

You have issues that need working on if you are to ever really have a successful relationship (with him or someone else).

The longer you wait to address your issues the more frustrated you will become and less likely chance that he will ever commit to you. It is probably too late to salvage THIS relationship, but be smart and start doing what you need to do to be ready for the next one.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,903 times
A relationship is nothing but a mirror that tells you who you are. From this relationship, you learned you are needy and co-dependent, and the smothering is what is driving him away.

If you do what it takes to change and become healthy, that is the most important, whether you stay in this relationship or not. The relationship will reflect your ongoing self-improvement.

So focus on self-improvement, the rest will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships