U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:50 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,868,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
That's silly because you prefer one type of bear over another? One guy told me he crossed out a girl because she laughed funny. Quirks are what make people unique and memorable.
Pretty much, lol

Quirks are what makes life interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,754,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i usually,,just throw out the upside, and positive stuff,,but ive had a couple disasters,,,meeting woman over the internet,,i "met" one woman,,,in a nearby state,,we started with emails, then phone calls, and then we really wanted to meet. , she asked if i could come to her house,,,the kids would be away, and we could have a quiet dinner that she wanted to prepare, sounded, nice and innocent,,,she explained she was divorced also, and had a very difficult time dating,,couldnt trust anyone,,so,, we'd meet for a home cooked meal,,and share a few laughs,,
so, when the day came,,to finally meet her,,i bought flowers, a big arrangement,, got all dressed up....and took a few hours to get to her house,,,when i got there,,everything seem to be legit,,,,she'd sent me many photos of her kids playing outside,,,same house etc,,,( i called on cell phone 5 minutes prior,,she was all nervous, giddy and excited, couldnt wait to finally meet,,
anyways,,so i pull up in her driveway,,to her house,,got this big bouquet of flowers ,,(in a vase) and walking to the front door,,knocked on the door,,,im gettin kinda excited myself,,,,,,and ,,the door swings open,,,and here's this big guy,,,,with a damn shotgun in his hand,,,,he's glaring at me,,,then blurts out,,is your name tom??? ( i damn near wet myself,,my left leg starts shakin uncontrollably,,my eyes on the shotgun,,now i dont know if this guy is her brother, cousin, or anyone else,,,just trying to protect her,,,maybe she told him,,she was finally gonna meet someone from another state,,and he was there ,,just in case i was a kook,,,however,,,the voice in my head was saying,,,get the hell out of there,,if that was her brother,,she be at the door too,,,THIS COULD BE HER HUSBAND,,,THE WOMAN HAD BEEN LYING TO YOU,,GET OUT OF THERE!!) so as calmly as i could,,,i said the quickest thing that came to mind,,
im not sure if i have the address correct,,but someone in this neighborhood, has recently died and im delivering flowers to the spouse," so he points to the house two houses down,,and says,,thats the house you want,,,so i started,,,backing away and he turned around back in the house,,
i got in the car,,,got out of there as fast as i could,,and called her on her cell, she didnt answer,,i emailed her a hundred times,,,,,then she leaves a message on my phone,,,"im sorry, i lied to you, yes i am still married, we just had some troubled times,, and i wanted to see what was out there"
so, i learned a tough lesson.

Holy Toledo MBM. BOTH my legs would have started shaking. Quick thinking, but darn, you are so lucky that somebody DID die!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:34 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,754,770 times
Why would people who meet on line, then email, talk on the phone, start getting all hot and sweaty talking about "stuff" before they even meet in person? It could have all been a waste, a lie, disgusting and embarrassing once you actually meet. Get the basics, try to check out that info, be careful about when and where you meet and THEN go for it if you want to let it all out.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,999,031 times
Lots of good posts here! And dear LORD about the married lady!!!
I basically meant how people seem so serious, guarded, unrelaxed. I guess it's just a reflection of the times we live in. I guess 10 years IS that long...
Like I said, I met people in different ways before - talking on the phone & letters...It was the same as meeting in person! Maybe it's the age too - I was in my 20's these people were a bit younger...That's kinda why I've started looking for those in their 30's - all my exes ages - and we're still friends! But even they seem a little "different" - not as bad though...
Sad. <sigh>

Old 05-06-2008, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 1,525 times
Default Fear

It is fear that has a vice tight grip on people. People live life in comas and huge denial. People are MISERABLE and massively afraid of making one simple mistake that they believe will cause them to lose everything they have worked hard to keep especially a career and MONEY. People refrain from showing any emotion apart from happiness because showing other emotions means you are losing control or something is 'wrong' with you. It is because of the fear that people have sacrificed themselves and who they are. Few people take ANY risks these days, people have ZERO balls, it is easier for people to conform and be miserable.People will complain until they are dead without ever changing their lives or themselves.

I am fortunate to have a handful of special individuals in my life. My general opinion of people is that they are DISGUSTING miserable selfish creatures who EXPECT 100% of the world but who are only willing to give 1% if they even have that to give because 95% of people have NOTHING to bring to the table they just take like the parasitic vultures they are, selfishness is like a mental disease that 95% of humans are suffering from in 2008.

Fear and selfishness is the answer to ALL of the problems with people.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 AM

3,955 posts, read 8,256,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukman74 View Post

My general opinion of people is that they are DISGUSTING miserable selfish creatures who EXPECT 100% of the world but who are only willing to give 1% if they even have that to give because 95% of people have NOTHING to bring to the table they just take like the parasitic vultures they are, selfishness is like a mental disease that 95% of humans are suffering from in 2008.
"Hi. My name is ukman. I am a paranoid misanthrope."
"Hi ukman. Welcome. There are cookies and coffee at the back of the room. Don't eat them they're probably poison."

Old 05-06-2008, 12:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 8,001,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Um...How in the world would you know how much money someone has - on them, or elsewhere? And why in the world would it matter???!!!
Case in Point:

I met some guy a few weekends ago....he proceeded to call me five times the next day (we're not talking 24 hours yet), came over the next day to bring me food (?) and then said he lost his wallet in his friends car, didn't want to talk to his friend and asked me to borrow money for gas....I gave him $10....he proceeded to keep calling and I thought about the situation for a bit....and decided I wanted nothing to do with this man...he turned into a freaking stalker. I put one of my bitchy girls on the phone and she told him off. Then he left me a message that sounded like a girlfriend on the rampage....I have not answered his calls since...he had told me he had gotten laid off from his job...blah, blah, blah...then one of the last calls, telling me how he thought he and I had something special...like huh? I let you sit on my porch for four hours while you waited for your friend to come back for you, dude....then he tells me, he has a job, money, at this point...oh, no...deal is done...bye!

So if someone tells you they don't have a job/car/income/life...believe them & make your choice of sticking around or not...

I'm tired taking on people's problems...I decided it was time to turn to myself for helpQ!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:51 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,172,189 times
Hi Elfyum: cute name! Also I agree with you. I experience the same exact thing. If they are online to meet people then why are they always "So busy" or "too busy" and if they are so interested then why can't they have fun or flirt? I think what you mean by sexual innuendo- is stage 2 to flirting I know what you mean. I love flirting.

Well, I don't know the answers to those questions because I am so confused too. I am gay and thought it was just gay men that had these issues.

I'm young, want to party, go to grad school full time, love helping the community, have hobbies, into fitness and health, and look good.....and yet I HAVE TIME and I am never TOO busy.

Don't ask me. I think people are nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Or have I just gone mad??? Is 10 years REALLY that long??? I guess so...
Before my recently ended 10 year relationship, I would see different guys.
Now yeah, some of them had communication issues (what else is new with guys ) but it was because they had been loners, or weren't used to expressing feelings, or whatever.
But for the most part, if I liked someone & they liked me (which, lucky me, was always the case ) we KNEW!!!!! It wasn't like we pretended we weren't interested. We didn't have all these "things" going on that we didn't have time to get together or talk on the phone or write.
I mean, it just seemed so much more "normal" to me!!!
And we'd be SEXUAL!!!!!!!!! If we were into each other, we'd say sexual things in letters, on the phone...We'd be all over each other in person.
Now I meet someone online, we like each other, & I feel like I'm writing to an online classmate or something!!! Nobody gives sexual inuendos!!!!!! Where are the sexual inuendos?????? It's like - I'M the one doing all that!!! I get no response! So I tell the person that I assume they're not interested & they tell me I'm crazy! I'M crazy???!!! Where's your sexuality??? If I'M intersted & YOU'RE interested...?????? That's half the FUN!!! FUN!!!! Does anyone remember FUN???? People are so goddamn serious! Or goddamn busy!
Ummmmm - excuse me, but if you're looking to MEET people on the internet, why don't you have any TIME for them???
Also, no one wants to meet! I visited two friends in Cali back in 96 - they were just friends, but we'd never met. Talked for HOURS & wrote zillions of letters (member those?!) & it seemed totally natural to just hop on a plane & visit! Now it's like, you send these emails - & everyone must have freakin ADD cause they're doing a thousand and one things - all this IM - I HATE IM!!!!!!!!! I'm telling you! I think everyone has ADD!!!!!!!!
Where are all the cool fun people I used to know???????
Damn! (steps down off soapbox )

Old 05-06-2008, 12:51 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,436,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Why would people who meet on line, then email, talk on the phone, start getting all hot and sweaty talking about "stuff" before they even meet in person? It could have all been a waste, a lie, disgusting and embarrassing once you actually meet. Get the basics, try to check out that info, be careful about when and where you meet and THEN go for it if you want to let it all out.
I totally agree with you!! All that imaginary, sexy stuff has no appeal to me if you don't even know the person but intend to meet them someday

Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,172,189 times
I AGREE with Ukman. Although my percentiles are different. I believe 75% of the people are the way he described. I've met some people that do not seem to be affected by the selfishness disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukman74 View Post
It is fear that has a vice tight grip on people. People live life in comas and huge denial. People are MISERABLE and massively afraid of making one simple mistake that they believe will cause them to lose everything they have worked hard to keep especially a career and MONEY. People refrain from showing any emotion apart from happiness because showing other emotions means you are losing control or something is 'wrong' with you. It is because of the fear that people have sacrificed themselves and who they are. Few people take ANY risks these days, people have ZERO balls, it is easier for people to conform and be miserable.People will complain until they are dead without ever changing their lives or themselves.

I am fortunate to have a handful of special individuals in my life. My general opinion of people is that they are DISGUSTING miserable selfish creatures who EXPECT 100% of the world but who are only willing to give 1% if they even have that to give because 95% of people have NOTHING to bring to the table they just take like the parasitic vultures they are, selfishness is like a mental disease that 95% of humans are suffering from in 2008.

Fear and selfishness is the answer to ALL of the problems with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships