U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM

4,928 posts, read 4,473,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I'd give My life for My Country,that's about it.
Very noble of you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 PM

44,372 posts, read 54,922,058 times
Some of these posts make me sad for the state of marriage these days

Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 PM

4,928 posts, read 4,473,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Lovesmountains,

I don't think it necessarily speaks to the state of marriage. I have don't have a perfect marriage but I don't have a bad one either which I think most of us can attest to.

Here's my thought process: I have not known this man all of my life, therefore, I cannot say I would give my life for him. I love him but it is with conditions...he never cheats, doesn't abuse me, doesn't do drugs, etc. It doesn't mean I wouldn't fight to protect him but I am not foolish enough to think my love for him will keep him forever. Maybe it will, maybe it won't but I'm not so willing to sacrifice my life on those odds.

Perhaps it has alot to do with my past. I have never depended on a man, no father figure, etc. I have always made my own way. Therefore, there isn't a man (other than my son) worthy of giving my life for......yes, even my husband.

I would hope as Max's Mama stated he would not want me to give my life for him and I would not ask it of him.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 PM

9,444 posts, read 9,819,516 times
Quote:

Hmmm, I don't know, it doesn't speak to me as anything negative, as much as I love my husband, I fully admit that my love for him is conditional and I know he feels the same way. We both would fight for each other and be by each other's side, but for example, your examples sound a little extreme to me...
Like you jumping into a water full of sharks to distract them...really??? So leave your children without parents? Take a bullet for him, jump in front a train?? Yeah, let's save this man's life just for him to have that image for the rest of his life.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM

3,261 posts, read 2,820,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Lovesmountains,

I don't think it necessarily speaks to the state of marriage. I have don't have a perfect marriage but I don't have a bad one either which I think most of us can attest to.

Here's my thought process: I have not known this man all of my life, therefore, I cannot say I would give my life for him. I love him but it is with conditions...he never cheats, doesn't abuse me, doesn't do drugs, etc. It doesn't mean I wouldn't fight to protect him but I am not foolish enough to think my love for him will keep him forever. Maybe it will, maybe it won't but I'm not so willing to sacrifice my life on those odds.

Perhaps it has alot to do with my past. I have never depended on a man, no father figure, etc. I have always made my own way. Therefore, there isn't a man (other than my son) worthy of giving my life for......yes, even my husband.

I would hope as Max's Mama stated he would not want me to give my life for him and I would not ask it of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Hmmm, I don't know, it doesn't speak to me as anything negative, as much as I love my husband, I fully admit that my love for him is conditional and I know he feels the same way. We both would fight for each other and be by each other's side, but for example, your examples sound a little extreme to me...
Like you jumping into a water full of sharks to distract them...really??? So leave your children without parents? Take a bullet for him, jump in front a train?? Yeah, let's save this man's life just for him to have that image for the rest of his life.
+1 to both Seeniorita & MM, especially when we have children that I feel still need me very much.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:

My children are no longer under 18 and are enjoying living the lives of young adults I agree parents of young children would want to make sure one of them survives some shared calamity for the childrens sakes.

My examples may sound extreme to you, but I truly adore my husband and believe I'd sacrifice just about anything for him. But again, I know he feels the same way about me. We've got each others backs in all situations.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
My children are no longer under 18 and are enjoying living the lives of young adults I agree parents of young children would want to make sure one of them survives some shared calamity for the childrens sakes.

My examples may sound extreme to you, but I truly adore my husband and believe I'd sacrifice just about anything for him. But again, I know he feels the same way about me. We've got each others backs in all situations.

Well, if that's how you feel, that's how you feel... I just don't always think that expecting a sacrifice from a loved one is an element of an unconditional love.
Also, just because your kids are over 18, doesn't mean that they are old enough to deal with losing both parents (hypothetically speaking anyway). I hope none of us ever have to deal with making such decisions in real life.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Well, if that's how you feel, that's how you feel... I just don't always think that expecting a sacrifice from a loved one is an element of an unconditional love.
Also, just because your kids are over 18, doesn't mean that they are old enough to deal with losing both parents (hypothetically speaking anyway). I hope none of us ever have to deal with making such decisions in real life.
Agreed, it's never easy to lose a parent no matter what your age. But now that they are no longer minors and are standing on their own two feet I can say unequivocally that my first loyalty would be to my husband, not to my motherhood. Maybe that's just me

Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Agreed, it's never easy to lose a parent no matter what your age. But now that they are no longer minors and are standing on their own two feet I can say unequivocally that my first loyalty would be to my husband, not to my motherhood. Maybe that's just me
So do you think your husband would want you to sacrifice your life for him and leave your children behind? Afterall, doing what your husband wants is part of your loyalty, isn't it?
I'm sorry I'm being annoying, I'm just trying to understand your selflessness.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 PM

12,495 posts, read 8,656,271 times
I wood giv a kidney fer Jessica Biel.

http://www.celebrityheights.net/b/je...biel/image.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships