Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

Normal people don't even change. lol. Let's keep our standards realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post

My personal experience and advice is to avoid these people at all costs because I have never seen one change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Well you don't have to be a narcissist to do that lol.

It's the overall package that makes a narcissist. Callous, bossy, manipulative, arrogant, self-centered, etc. all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Not in person, but on here -- denial, with ridiculous hyperbole (e.g., "that is the most naive comment I've ever heard," "you are probably the dumbest person I've met on the internet").

Another classic reaction is pointing out something you said or did that is hypocritical, and blowing it way out of proportion

Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,124 times
I have developed a strong ability to tune people out at any time i choose.
This usually results in the narcissist not even trying to speak to me ever again.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Has anybody ever told a full blown narcissist that he/she was a narcissist? What was their reaction?
i'd say flat out that they're actions are not on. but being irate is not the key.

their narcissistic nature may make them hunt you down.

sufferers of narcissistic personality disorder have been known to stalk, even kill, people who "cheeked" or insulted them.

How one manages people in life is key. It's not always prudent to aggressively confront people, even if it seems justified at the time. one must pick his/her battles.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 PM

153 posts, read 237,382 times
No.......but the day I get my divorce I will and I don't care what he thinks or says.....

Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Has anybody ever told a full blown narcissist that he/she was a narcissist? What was their reaction?
I have in the past and as someone else already mentioned, I was met with denial. A true narcissist doesn't believe they're anything but the ultimate being so therefore, it is doubtful that they would even listen. Is it worth the time/emotions/frustration?

Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
I have in the past and as someone else already mentioned, I was met with denial. A true narcissist doesn't believe they're anything but the ultimate being so therefore, it is doubtful that they would even listen. Is it worth the time/emotions/frustration?
Great post and very true!

It's like anything else you might point out to someone that is negative about themselves (though unsolicited criticism is usually going to be met with hostility) they will deny it or make excuses. Not sure why one would want to tell someone they are a narcissist. Why bother going out of your way to insult someone? Unless of course they asked for your opinion or insist on thumping their chest and convincing the world of what a wonderful person they are.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Denial. There are some I've known who I wouldn't even bother saying anything to. They know it all, and they don't like to be challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
i'd say flat out that they're actions are not on. but being irate is not the key.

their narcissistic nature may make them hunt you down.

sufferers of narcissistic personality disorder have been known to stalk, even kill, people who "cheeked" or insulted them.

How one manages people in life is key. It's not always prudent to aggressively confront people, even if it seems justified at the time. one must pick his/her battles.
This is the second thread tonight that I see you preaching psychology when you damn the profession to heck in others. I think you need to talk to someone. You're confuddled.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Their response?

Don't be at all surprised to hear this:

"You're the 2,557th person to heap me with a compliment like that. Thank-you! But why oh why doesn't anyone ever insult me!"

Last edited by tijlover; 04-23-2010 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: change wording

Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
I have developed a strong ability to tune people out at any time i choose.
This usually results in the narcissist not even trying to speak to me ever again.
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships