U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:44 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,965,073 times

Advertisements

I'm not even sure where to post this, but relationships kinda makes the most sense.

This morning the Fed-Ex guy was pounding on my door. I had already woke up thanks to the sleet beating against the window, but it was cold in the room so I was snuggled in my blanket half asleep half awake. I finally get up and quickly change out of my pj's to answer the door and right as I head towards the door I see the door knob MOVING. Then I can hear that the doorknob is being pried at forcefully... then I hear what sounds like him pressing his weight against the door. So I think forget that I ain't opening the door to some psycho... no delivery person is suppose to try to force open doors. Get this he continues to pound on the door for over 5 minutes. (The door is solid wood so there is no way he can see me.)

He finally goes away. I checked the door for the usual delivery note and it has the box checked off "left at apartment office". But get this he wrote a phone# on it and it appears to be a local cellphone #. What does he want me to do call him?? What a creeper!!!

Is this not odd? The doorknob prying was weird enough, but what's up with giving me what I am assuming is his cellph#??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 PM

13,760 posts, read 4,022,351 times
Then don't call the number.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM

791 posts, read 778,185 times
call the number from Fed Ex using the supervisors phone

Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,965,073 times
Don't worry I won't. I'm just scared that some creeper guy may try to come back again and force my door down. I called Fed-Ex and reported him. At first the lady says "we have no record of that package". I guess it was just showing up on her computer as he was leaving it at the apartment office. Then she says "oh there it is" then she says "Oh my Godddd....." almost as if she she knew him and he'd been in trouble before or something.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:01 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,116,733 times
I'm a parcel driver.
We often will try the customer's door, because we may know they're in, but they're showering, or vacuuming, so can't hear the door.

Sometimes the door is open, so we'll place the parcel inside the door.
I personally give the door a good rattle to check for dogs. I've lost enough skin on various parts of my body from folks whose dog "won't bite you, driver"

I suspect he's working in your area, and gave his cell# so if you caught him in time, he could come back, rather than having a failed delivery on the van all day. It also means the customer gets their parcel.

If Fedex do it, he could be a franchisee, so the delivery will be stored at his home base, rather than a central Fedex depot.

IMHO, you're overreacting, and, us guys are trying our best to do a service to folks, and we are accused of being "creeps"

Trust me, you would not want to walk a mile in our shoes.
Cut the guy a little slack, and stop jumping to conclusions. You would not believe some of the ridiculous complaints people have tried to make against me over the years, when I'm just doing my job. I'm trying to ensure that their delivery gets to them safely, but, oh no, that's not good enough for some folks.................

Paranoid ? Much ?..............

**EDITED**
Just to give you an idea of some of the complaints.
A woman demanded I be fired because i knocked loudly on her door, and gave her a start.
Another woman complained because I knocked on her door "in an aggressive manner"
A man complained because i knocked on his door, and failed to ring the doorbell, despite the fact he had heard the knock, and answered the door.
A customer complained because my van was dirty, after driving up a farm road, and it made the road look untidy. Could I please park it at the end of the street and walk.
Another customer complained because I explained that her delivery could not be left without a signature, and "i had no right to do that, because it was her property" (believe it or not, she actually called the police, to say I had stolen it !!
**EDITED**

Now, phone Fedex again, and complain about the serial killer they have working for them.........................

Last edited by bobman; 04-21-2010 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: More information

Old 04-21-2010, 03:10 PM

593 posts, read 698,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I'm not even sure where to post this, but relationships kinda makes the most sense.

This morning the Fed-Ex guy was pounding on my door. I had already woke up thanks to the sleet beating against the window, but it was cold in the room so I was snuggled in my blanket half asleep half awake. I finally get up and quickly change out of my pj's to answer the door and right as I head towards the door I see the door knob MOVING. Then I can hear that the doorknob is being pried at forcefully... then I hear what sounds like him pressing his weight against the door. So I think forget that I ain't opening the door to some psycho... no delivery person is suppose to try to force open doors. Get this he continues to pound on the door for over 5 minutes. (The door is solid wood so there is no way he can see me.)

He finally goes away. I checked the door for the usual delivery note and it has the box checked off "left at apartment office". But get this he wrote a phone# on it and it appears to be a local cellphone #. What does he want me to do call him?? What a creeper!!!

Is this not odd? The doorknob prying was weird enough, but what's up with giving me what I am assuming is his cellph#??!

What are you like 17?

Old 04-21-2010, 03:12 PM

6,995 posts, read 13,038,037 times
Dial M for murder. You should watch that movie.
Sorry bob but if anybody tries to open my door the way the OP described it, bullets will fly.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:19 PM

930 posts, read 1,545,899 times
Exactly. You might consider "I work for FedEx" as putting you into a protected or elite category.

The rest of us laugh at that. (after we shoot)

Old 04-21-2010, 03:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 4,448,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Sorry bob but if anybody tries to open my door the way the OP described it, bullets will fly.
I agree. Maybe where Bob is from they all leave front doors unlocked and delivery guys just open the door and leave the package inside, close it and leave. And I'm not talking about the storm door. Where I am from, that is considered an attempt to break and enter. Knock, fine, ring bell, no problem. Try handle to open door, meet a huge problem.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,116,733 times
You should have heard the way half of my customers describe "the way" I've done things.

I've heard this kind of story hundreds of times.

I tried to make a delivery once, but no answer.
Special instructions on the package were "if out, please leave package in garage"
So, off I went toward the garage.
I should point out here that I was driving a fully liveried van, and in full company uniform.

As I'm opening the door, the guy comes out of the house with a shotgun, challenging me as to what the **** I'm doing in his garden.
I tried to explain I had a package for him, and was trying to carry out the special instructions, since there was no answer at the door. I showed him the package.

He refused to believe me, and ordered me off his property.
As I left, I left the card with the numbers for him to phone.

He later called the depot, said I'd tried to break down his door, forced open his (unlocked) garage door, and then, when challenged, refused to give him the parcel, which he was in desperate need of.

Customers will say anything rather than the truth to save their own ass, and won't stop to think about the driver's job.
Especially if they get a whiff of compensation.

Folks don't normally leave their doors unlocked if they're out, but, on a round of 150 parcels per day, you'd be surprised how many folks are in, but don't hear their door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships