U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 PM

3,584 posts, read 6,454,231 times

Advertisements

Missouri store clerk wins $258M Powerball jackpot - Boston.com

Obviously a lot of money to go around.

If you read the article, he's got 3 children, by 2 different women.

I'm sure there are lawyers already on the phone with these 2 different women, trying to get $$$$ in extra child support payments from this lucky lottery winner.

The question:

Assuming these women of his children need child support and a lot is coming:

Assuming he will know need to pay 10K or 20K a month per kid because of his winnings. How much will these women actually spend on the kid and how much will they actually spend on themselves.

I know the legal system says, the kids have to "live up to the same standard as the parents" But how much is much? It's obvious this guy was as redneck as you come without any money.

But I have a feeling these women of his children and their lawyers will take this guy to the cleaners and not think twice about it. He doesn't seem very bright.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:16 PM

9,413 posts, read 19,295,881 times
Well he did say he wasn't going to quit his job at the convenience store, so he always has that to fall back on.

Typically when someone wins a lottery of this magnitude, they are lawyered up quickly. No doubt the moms will get a piece of the action, but so what, there's plenty to go around. If I had $125 million all to myself, I wouldn't quibble if I had to give $25 million a piece to ex wives who take care of my kids. How much do you need?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:30 PM

5,013 posts, read 8,402,365 times
Seriously, the guy needs to see a dentist right away and get some nice dental implants - after he sees a good family law attorney.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 PM

23,417 posts, read 34,497,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Seriously, the guy needs to see a dentist right away and get some nice dental implants - after he sees a good family law attorney.
He said that was on his list.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
He said that was on his list.
I'm glad for his sake that it is.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 PM

23,417 posts, read 34,497,339 times
Quote:
I'm glad for his sake that it is.
Lol, you and me both! Folks are gonna think that all Missourians are toothless hicks!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lol, you and me both! Folks are gonna think that all Missourians are toothless hicks!
I know a LOT of people are going to be after that money - I hope he looks after himself as well and that someone wisely stashes some money away for those kids' college educations.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM

3,584 posts, read 6,454,231 times
Quote:
I know a LOT of people are going to be after that money - I hope he looks after himself as well and that someone wisely stashes some money away for those kids' college educations.
That's what I am afraid of for this guy. He's got 3 mouths to feed.

Now he's got another girlfriend with her own 2 kids. I have a hunch one his kids will mess up while growing up and he's going to get sued. There are so many stories of lotto winners going broke.

If I were him I would be 20% of it in the Cayman Islands and don't even let anyone know about it and protect it.

The problem is the finance guys will take 2-3%. The lawyers will take another 2-3%. 10-15% will go to his 3 kids. Than friends and unknown long lost friend come out of the wood asking for money.

He already has made a classic mistake. He went public before seeking financial/legal advice first. Now everyone knows how much money is involved. He could have hired legal advice and been very vague about how much he was getting. Now everyones fees are going to be jacked up.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 PM

3,337 posts, read 6,648,217 times
People get stupid when they win multi-million lotto jackpots. If that was me, I'd only tell my CLOSEST friends and family and break them off 10-15% of my winnings, no more no less. I'd invest in high return stock, take out 40% for myself and put the rest in my account so I can live off the interest. My family will be set for life. Why you gonna broadcast to everyone how you won the jackpot

Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM

25,388 posts, read 33,239,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Missouri store clerk wins $258M Powerball jackpot - Boston.com

Obviously a lot of money to go around.

If you read the article, he's got 3 children, by 2 different women.

I'm sure there are lawyers already on the phone with these 2 different women, trying to get $$$$ in extra child support payments from this lucky lottery winner.

The question:

Assuming these women of his children need child support and a lot is coming:

Assuming he will know need to pay 10K or 20K a month per kid because of his winnings. How much will these women actually spend on the kid and how much will they actually spend on themselves.

I know the legal system says, the kids have to "live up to the same standard as the parents" But how much is much? It's obvious this guy was as redneck as you come without any money.

But I have a feeling these women of his children and their lawyers will take this guy to the cleaners and not think twice about it. He doesn't seem very bright.
Who cares? The guy just won enough to be able to support 1000 kids in a lifestyle both they and their moms could get used to.

You need a reality check here. These children need to be moved to a gated community, pronto. That lottery ticket just put a target on their backs. Everybody and their grandfather will be trying to get to the money through the kids. So, yes, mom is going to enjoy a major rise in her standard of living but who cares? She's the mother of his children. In order to take care of the kids, he'll have to take care of her. What's gonna hurt is when the kids are of legal age and ne no longer needs to support her lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships