U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,129,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
I've been trying to find out the marriage/divorce status of some acquaintances online, with no luck. Since these are public records, I can't figure out why they're so hard to find. All the sites I've found require payment for this information.

Does anyone know of any sites that provide this information for free?
Alot of people lie, I can understand why you would be concerned.

Anyone thinking that using PUBLIC FREE sites to look up information is being wrong in some way, is just wrong thinking.

Check out www.knowx.com
I don't know if they have all the states in there yet but they have some. There is a FREE search there as well as paid searches, so keep knocking around until you find it.

I have used it many times just to help people track loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM

24,774 posts, read 26,159,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
I've been trying to find out the marriage/divorce status of some acquaintances online, with no luck. Since these are public records, I can't figure out why they're so hard to find. All the sites I've found require payment for this information.

Does anyone know of any sites that provide this information for free?
Okay. If these are 'real' acquaintances, people that you've had more than three minutes worth of discussion with, then you'll know their marital status. So your post tells me that you're scoping out people like the counter girl at the dry cleaners. And that makes you kind of creepy, if you ask me.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:04 AM

8,860 posts, read 10,840,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
How about just asking them? Dont be all creepy and sneaky about it. Just ask to find out. If they are the kind of people who you think may not be truthful about such a simple question then they are not worth having in one's life now arent they?

Your post just screams of "psycho stalker" to me.
I agree, if they are acquaintances then just ask them, no need to be sneaky about it, that's shady.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 04-25-2010 at 11:30 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 AM

5,108 posts, read 7,547,619 times
Quote:
As I have said before - CREEPY AND PSYCHO!! Definite RED FLAG to any guy if a woman wants to check the hall of records for anything on his background. Super creepy and psycho-ish. Just friggin' ask the guy.
Wrong.

it is common sense. it is smart. it is wise.

for instance the people i know who work in law enforcement, before they start dating anyone new, they routinely run a background check on the person.

if a person has nothing to hide, it is not a problem
if a person gets mad at the idea of someone they are dating running a background check on them....THAT is the red flag

Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Perhaps the OP should shed some light on the nature of these acquintances and why he/she wants this information. That could make the difference in the creepiness factor.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,426,107 times
Unless you're interested in dating someone and want to find out if he or she is married, that kind of information is none of your business.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM

10,593 posts, read 22,129,183 times
Quote:
How about just asking them? Dont be all creepy and sneaky about it. Just ask to find out. If they are the kind of people who you think may not be truthful about such a simple question then they are not worth having in one's life now arent they?

Your post just screams of "psycho stalker" to me.
Your post screams to me that you have something to hide and you don't want anyone to look into anything and find it.

BY DEFINITION...using legal means to gain information such as if a person is being honest about his or her marital state, is not psycho or stalkerish, its using common sense.

With the advent of the internet, it has given a means for people who are committed, to lie and live another life online and take advantage of people.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:37 AM

5,108 posts, read 7,547,619 times
Quote:
Your post just screams of "psycho stalker" to me. As I have said before - CREEPY AND PSYCHO!! Definite RED FLAG to any guy if a woman wants to check the hall of records for anything on his background. Super creepy and psycho-ish. Just friggin' ask the guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Your post screams to me that you have something to hide and you don't want anyone to look into anything and find it.

BY DEFINITION...using legal means to gain information such as if a person is being honest about his or her marital state, is not psycho or stalkerish, its using common sense.

With the advent of the internet, it has given a means for people who are committed, to lie and live another life online and take advantage of people.
yeah, i have to agree with Lindsey here.
it's this line here that is the dead give-away ......

Quote:
Definite RED FLAG to any guy if a woman wants to check the hall of records for anything on his background. .
It just sounds like the panic of someone who has not been honest and is now angry and afraid of getting caught in the deception

Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,426,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

Ah, but why would anyone want to snoop that way on acquaintances?

Co-workers: MYOB

Neighbors: MYOB

People in your knitting club: MYOB

It doesn't matter what's legal. What matters is what's ethical.

That said, I have indeed looked up court records on someone I dated. He acted erratically and I had a sneaking suspicion something was going on. He had told me he was widowed, but when I looked him up in the Maryland court system, it turns out that he was going through a long, messy divorce in which his future-former had domestic violence charges pending against him. AND he was older than he said he was (which I had also suspected after I saw him nekkie).

Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Anyone who feels compelled to launch background investigations on someone they are getting to know probably has trust issues, and that is just the beginning of what is to come. Plan on a lifetime of inquisitions, accusations, prying, and repeated privacy violations if you plan on dating someone who runs checks on you without your knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships