Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
The guarded thread got me thinking. I tend to be guarded. Not shy or unfriendly at all, but I tend to keep certain things to myself (or just between myself and my SO). I tend to go do things or places without telling friends or family, never talk about money or business (I'm in the process of researching a business without a peep to others), my thoughts or goals, or my personal life of any details (I'll tell them that I have a G/F or such, but never in any details. Not a kiss-and-tell person at all). My best friend got mad me because I wouldn't tell him if I lost my virginity or a few years ago. I tend to go about my business and sort of tell people afterward in vague details.

Also, I use facebook, but my profile and wall are bare (No pics unless someone else posts them and no status information).

Are you like this? Is this a problem to you?
I consider myself guarded, to a degree. I enjoy being alone more than most people, and in order to accomplish that, in my life at least, it means I have to keep quiet about what I'm doing...stay on the "down low" so to speak. It's no problem for me, but years ago my sis and mom would get a bit annoyed, but they are used to it now.

However, as far as FB goes, that's all my family on there....I mean really - MOST of my family is there - and I have a huge one. And we all use it regularly, so I have TONS of pics on there, and use it to keep up with everyone. But I don't post status updates every hour or crap like that. In fact, my "relationship status" still says "single".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
nobody needs to know everything. and it's not about unfriendliness or shyness.

I guess trust in life is earnt, not given away. It's about feeling comfortable with the person, so you can tell them important things. I think there should be no secrets in a marriage or relationship, period. but with a friend, perhaps. with an acquiantance or somebody you've just met, then sure.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I don't open up easy at all. It takes A LOT to get me to open up but even if I choose to be open wtih friends and family, there are details one will never know about me and that's my perogative.
me too.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
I am guarded. I don't think I was always so, but now yeah...

Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I don't know. I'm not guarded with my personal information as far as where I live, my phone number, my pictures. And I do comment on others' posts that show up on my wall. But most of my own posts relate either to the games played there, or some music I've decided to post.

I don't tend to let others in to what I'm thinking unless I'm sleeping with them. On the Internet, it's a little different, since I'm fairly anonymous, just another guy on a keyboard. I don't matter, I'm no one special.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Depends on what guarded means to you. I hear the word and think that one is afraid to be vulnerable.

Private/discreet is another matter. You don't need to spill your guts about everything in order to be successful in relationships.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,720 times
Quote:
The guarded thread got me thinking. I tend to be guarded. Not shy or unfriendly at all, but I tend to keep certain things to myself (or just between myself and my SO). I tend to go do things or places without telling friends or family, never talk about money or business (I'm in the process of researching a business without a peep to others), my thoughts or goals, or my personal life of any details (I'll tell them that I have a G/F or such, but never in any details. Not a kiss-and-tell person at all). My best friend got mad me because I wouldn't tell him if I lost my virginity or a few years ago. I tend to go about my business and sort of tell people afterward in vague details.

Also, I use facebook, but my profile and wall are bare (No pics unless someone else posts them and no status information).

I am very guarded.
People in online forums probably know more about my life than family and associates.
My parents were betrayed by people when I was growing up and I have seen good friends subject to the same. And other things that I went through that pretty much made you keep your wits and vigilance or you would be toast.
Even at my normal and side jobs I see it going on.

So I am always going to had some type of defense.
If its not a block it will be a parry.
Until I can see an improvement in people I come into contact with being more loyal in general, I can only open the guard enough to minimize damage if i get twizzled.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Quote:

I'm guarded when not discussing emotionally negative things on a date. My dates have claimed to end it with me thru lack of chemistry. Having a couple therapy sesssions helped me realize I was an outgoing, confident, happy and positive guy on dates, but didnt share any person struggles or humility which would allow these women to bond emotionally with me. Which made sense as we'd have really fun dates and they'd all go out with me again each time, but ended it because they didn't bond with me, because I wouldn't let them.

Next person I date I'll be trying to do that differently.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:

I might as well have posted this.

I'm very tight-lipped about a lot of things. When I tell about myself, I tend to use riddles and ironic phrases, especially on online profiles. My facebook is pretty much the same. I would never post my picture online for some reason. I don't care if I was Denzel X 10.

I'm especially protective about my business plans because there are always these people that want to get on their soapbox and say "Not gonna happen!!

Say's who?! Are you God, did you create me? Am I ruining your life by pursuing what I'm passionate about???

Get a life and mind your own!

Sorry, sort of ranted. I run across a lot of people who have too much time on their hands and resort to criticizing the speck of my eye while ignoring the tree in theirs.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,049 times
I am very guarded and am often mistaken for being snobby. I just don't tell everyone my business. I only have a few close friends wherever we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships