U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do pets listen better than SO's/Husbands?
Yes - Animals are better at listening and obeying. 12 44.44%
No - Animals aren't any better. 6 22.22%
Other 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2010, 05:38 AM

10,886 posts, read 10,615,767 times
Quote:
HOWEVER, animals may not understand sentences and the context of language, but they can definitely understand words ... my pets can and do associate words correctly.
I agree that they can associate actions to certain words. They also understand tone (even SO's get that) and body language.
To get my alpha dog to sit down all you need to say is pig. To get her in the kennel, eat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:05 AM

20,725 posts, read 17,817,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Your post reminds me of this cartoon:

HOWEVER, animals may not understand sentences and the context of language, but they can definitely understand words ... my pets can and do associate words correctly.
Haha, I love Gary Larsen. Back in high school, my husband used to wear camo fatigues and a Shark Nerds T-shirt.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 AM

15,690 posts, read 15,813,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree that they can associate actions to certain words. They also understand tone (even SO's get that) and body language.
To get my alpha dog to sit down all you need to say is pig. To get her in the kennel, eat.
Definitely!

That's how I test whether they are understanding certain words by deliberately being neutral and not associating body language or tone of voice to them.

My beloved girl alpha dog (RIP) was trained with both verbal and hand signal commands for the typical behavior stuff (sit, come, stay, lay down, settle, etc.) and I could use either or use both at the same time.

But the most amazing thing was her vocabulary of english words. My husband and I even resorted to spelling certain words so she wouldn't get too excited (e-a-t, f-o-o-d) or nervous (v-e-t) and she figured out what those meant too.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 AM

15,690 posts, read 15,813,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Haha, I love Gary Larsen. Back in high school, my husband used to wear camo fatigues and a Shark Nerds T-shirt.
I have some books of GL's cartoons and they crack me up everytime I look at them! The "Ginger" cartoon is a classic and famous all over the world!

I hope you have pics of your hubby dressed up like that! Too funny!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:01 AM

19,023 posts, read 13,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
A recent poll of married women says that in 1/3 of married couples "pets listen more than husbands". How much truth to this survey do you think there is?
Pets are nothing but quasi-slaves at the human's beck and call. That won't fly between 2 humans.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 AM

7,917 posts, read 11,174,922 times
AC wrote:
Quote:
Pets are nothing but quasi-slaves at the human's beck and call. That won't fly between 2 humans.
I have to disagree with that. People love their pets and pets are almost always extremely loyal to their owners. In fact the humans are the ones who feed the pets, give them medical attention when needed, give them a safe place to live, etc. If pets were actually slaves then wouldn't they be doing chores for humans like mowing the lawn and doing the laundry?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:32 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,932,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
AC wrote:

I have to disagree with that. People love their pets and pets are almost always extremely loyal to their owners. In fact the humans are the ones who feed the pets, give them medical attention when needed, give them a safe place to live, etc. If pets were actually slaves then wouldn't they be doing chores for humans like mowing the lawn and doing the laundry?
I agree, my dog is certainly not my slave; he is my loyal companion and I am his, and sometimes I do think he is the best listener. He listens with his whole self and not just his ears, and when I'm feeling sad he is usually the first one to sense that and try to console me.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,120,438 times
The anti-male bigotry in this thread is simply astounding. Flip genders or make it about race and this "study" wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM

807 posts, read 835,531 times
That is why some dogs end up so neurotic in such a relationship of closeness.

Instead of being a pack leader and respecting the dog as an animal, a lot of women prefer to use a pet for their own emotional needs, and when that happens: neurotic dog!

If you look at the Dog Whisperer, most of the time he is training women, not men, in how to be a pack leader, and fixing these neurotic toy dogs of their overprotective, aggressive behaviors.

Cats are independent-minded by nature so are less influenced by humans than dogs.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:36 PM

27,238 posts, read 25,760,139 times
Animals are more affectionate as well. I get more affection out of my girlfriend's cat than I ever got out of her.

Just kidding. I know that people will show affection in certain ways that the other person simply takes for granted. And I'm NOT talking about sex, here, just affection.

My room mate mentioned that she was out of puzzle books....and I had a number of them I'm working on. When I came home, I left a new puzzle book on her table outside. It only cost me a buck. She called me after I left the house the other day, to tell me she'd give me a ride to this one store where I like to buy my sodas--and other foods--on the cheap. Publix is convenient to me, but this other place is cheaper on a lot of stuff. 20 oz bags of fries are 2 for a buck, for instance, whereas elsewhere I'd be paying like $4 for a 2 pound bag. Of course, I didn't get the message until after I'd rode the bus up there and got back home.

Now that we are NOT together, we don't take those little things for granted and are more truly appreciative of those gestures--whereas before we'd simply expect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships