Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times

Advertisements

It depends on how strong the love was I think. I've been in a relationship where it took two years to get over it's break up--I suspect because bad habits were hard to break. And I've been in a relationship where, 30+ years later, I wasn't over him. One was true love, one wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,374 times
Thank you RazorRob, and I can't agree with you more...it's just so hard because right now all I can do is cry and my heart hurts so much....I've had a hard life in a lot of ways and I was so afraid of putting myself out there because I was afraid this might happen but I took a chance anyway....

I am trying so hard, have been for weeks, but my heart just isn't in it and I'm not sure I can muster up the strength. I've never been one to turn to drugs but I finally started taking antidepressants and I just took a Xanax for the first time in my life. This is terrible!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,374 times
Thank you for all of the responses....

I already know that I must move on, but it is so so hard right now. I'm thinking....good drugs right now? A drink or two? Don't even feel like doing that, hoping the Xanax will kick in.....that's as far as I'm willing to go....

Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post

I already know that I must move on, but it is so so hard right now. I'm thinking....good drugs right now? A drink or two? Don't even feel like doing that, hoping the Xanax will kick in.....that's as far as I'm willing to go....
Hang in there - this too shall pass, and I'm pulling for it to be sooner rather than later

Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,610 times
Awww I'm sorry. Yes, I have felt physical pain before from heartbreak. All I can say is you can't put a time limit on it, but it WILL get better. It really depends on the intensity and duration of your relationship. And how effectively you deal with the pain (if you shove it somewhere rather than face it and deal with it, it WILL take longer to feel better).

I got divorced 3 1/2 years ago from a man I had been with for 8 1/2 years. It took about 6 months for the intense pain to really stop, then hmmm another year to where I felt like I was ok (but I was also very self-destructive during this time and running from the pain, so I think that prolonged my healing). But really it was another year after that before I was fully healed to a point where I could move forward in another relationship.

Just know that it will get better, in time. In the meantime, focus on staying busy. Find hobbies, spend time with friends. Don't wallow in your grief, but DO deal with your pain in SMALL CHUNKS. DO deal with it, don't stuff it somewhere.

Think of it as a closet completely packed full of stuff that you want to clean out. If you try to clean it out all at once, it will overwhelm you and may fall on top of you and bury you. If you keep the door closed and just don't look, all the crap is going to stay there and haunt you from behind that door. But if you take a few pieces out at a time, a day at a time, before you know it the closet will be clean. And you will feel much better.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:

I sure hope this post is a tongue in cheek humor 'cuse it's scary if it's not!

The very best medicine for a broken heart is to stay as busy as you can then relax and meditate to find your center again. All part of moving on........

That and trust your faith to help heal you.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 PM

53 posts, read 125,904 times
I'm going through that too and it's been 4 months and I still feel like crying sometimes and my heart hurts, physically. It's getting a lot better though. Like other posters said it depends on the intensity of your feelings. And maybe how you feel about your life in general.

What helps for me is exercise. Do you run or walk or swim or anything? If not I would try it, it seems to help during and after.

A xanax probably isn't the best or worst thing but alcohol can make you more depressed.

Allowing yourself to listen to sad songs and cry a while is good, but also distraction- activities, friends, tv, movies, books, whatever you can do to temporarily forget is a relief.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:49 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times
Journal! It works wonders to write about what you thought would happen vs what did happen in the relationship. It's painful but helpful to figure out where things went off track and think about what if anything you would do differently next time. Once you write it out, you may find you wouldn't have even chosen this dude knowing what you know now.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
A broken heart takes forever to mend. Ask anyone suffering from one. It never heals as fast as we'd like. But the most important thing is - a broken heart does heal.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Thank you RazorRob, and I can't agree with you more...it's just so hard because right now all I can do is cry and my heart hurts so much....I've had a hard life in a lot of ways and I was so afraid of putting myself out there because I was afraid this might happen but I took a chance anyway....

I am trying so hard, have been for weeks, but my heart just isn't in it and I'm not sure I can muster up the strength. I've never been one to turn to drugs but I finally started taking antidepressants and I just took a Xanax for the first time in my life. This is terrible!!!

I feel ya..trust me..I spent years in a depression...and over time the pain will get easier to deal with...kinda like a callus ....I can't say the pain goes away all together, but after years of actually facing things I've realized that there is a tomorrow to look forward to...I am single still, but I have hope...You will too onegreatnurse....

just do your best and talk to people about things a lot..it helps to get things out and have people who care to listen....stay away from movies about relationships and music that has those same themes if possible..direct your attention towards your faith if you have faith in God..He helped me through everything to be honest..

praying does make you feel a little better if you are pure about your intentions...Private message me if you need to talk too...we can exchange some stories and it could help also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships