U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 AM

27,238 posts, read 25,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Conversation during meals is a must! It's not just about the food. It's a time for catching up, for sharing, for bonding. Just be sure to talk between bites, never with food in your mouth.
You can talk at other times. I've had a date where we did nothing but talk with each other for 12 hours. Food wasn't even on our minds. Totally missed dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 AM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 15 days ago)

5,846 posts, read 4,682,077 times
you don't talk about religion, politics and money. and don't tell funny jokes, maybe the ha-ha clever ones, you don't want someone to choke or spit food on you. There was so many people in my family there wasn't ever enough food ,the only reason to come to the table was the conversation.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:31 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,610,783 times
A typical dinner conversation at my house when me and my sisters were all teenagers--
Dads reading the paper while eating.
Mom is zoned out on Valium.
Sis #1 to sis #2-- "If you ever wear my sweater again I'll pull your hair out by the roots!"
Me to sis# 1-- "I had sex with your best girlfriend last night." [ignored]
Sis #2 to sis#1-- "Well at least my hair doesnt look like Phyllis Dillers!"
Me to sis#2-- "And I'm having sex with your best girlfriend tonite!" [ignored]
Sis #3 to sis #1 and #2--"I think you both should shut up! And neither one of you are fooling anybody with all that toilet paper in your bras!"
Me to sis#3--"I wouldnt touch any of your girlfriends. They all look like they could win the blue ribbon in the hog judging at the Lake County fair!"
Sis #1 #2 and #3 to me--" Why dont you just shut up and go play with yourself!"
Dad to me--"Thats my boy!!!!!!!!"

Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 AM

5,148 posts, read 1,490,068 times
Family dinners, is where my father let the secret out, that he understood the secrets of time travel.

"If you kids don't stop bickering, I'm going to toss you all into next Tuesday!!!!!" It was said with super seriousness, I believe he knows how to do it.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 AM

4,033 posts, read 2,473,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why am I beginning to feel that all of your thread topics are related to some big college sociology project?
It's a bit off topic but I haven't been in college for decades...Started this thread based on a personal experience.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM

6,524 posts, read 6,524,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Nice of you to exhibit such compassion for the tortured: leaving the table before ending your meal. And, more compassion: no second date.
Hmmm, I can't figure this out:

Someone who shows no consideration for others by eating like an animal is tortured? I'm the one being tortured!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 AM

I feel bored when I share a meal with someone who doesn't talk very much...I look around to see if there is a newspaper sitting around someplace that I can read. It's uncomfortable and even spooky to be around people who don't talk much anyway...They seem serious and "all bottled-up." What are they hiding?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 AM

33,553 posts, read 6,002,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. Dan View Post
a typical dinner conversation at my house when me and my sisters were all teenagers--
dads reading the paper while eating.
Mom is zoned out on valium.
Sis #1 to sis #2-- "if you ever wear my sweater again i'll pull your hair out by the roots!"
me to sis# 1-- "i had sex with your best girlfriend last night." [ignored]
sis #2 to sis#1-- "well at least my hair doesnt look like phyllis dillers!"
me to sis#2-- "and i'm having sex with your best girlfriend tonite!" [ignored]
sis #3 to sis #1 and #2--"i think you both should shut up! And neither one of you are fooling anybody with all that toilet paper in your bras!"
me to sis#3--"i wouldnt touch any of your girlfriends. They all look like they could win the blue ribbon in the hog judging at the lake county fair!"
sis #1 #2 and #3 to me--" why dont you just shut up and go play with yourself!"
dad to me--"thats my boy!!!!!!!!"
:d:d
bwahahahahahahahaha :d

Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 AM

20,615 posts, read 17,237,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I feel bored when I share a meal with someone who doesn't talk very much...I look around to see if there is a newspaper sitting around someplace that I can read. It's uncomfortable and even spooky to be around people who don't talk much anyway...They seem serious and "all bottled-up." What are they hiding?
Who does this ... a date? I agree that silent meals and awkward and no fun, but do you do any of the talking? Making small talk is usually not difficult.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Who does this ... a date? I agree that silent meals and awkward and no fun, but do you do any of the talking? Making small talk is usually not difficult.
I'm talking about people who don't "pick the ball up" when someone else starts a conversation...They might make a short comment but that's it...The conversation stops after that....Or the conversation is limited to brief comments about the food...There is no ongoing interaction...I know that some people have a lot of hidden insecurities and don't feel comfortable or competent when it comes to their communication skills or general knowledge....I am sure that this may be inhibiting them....But it"s impossible to get to know someone who remains so closed-up and "detached." Don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships